IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I think if you look at % of tournies won and entered during a tenure, its not even close. I believe Woods is way ahead.

About double Jack's numbers, if I remember.

Actually I think Bobby Jones's numbers were even better, but of course he never played as a pro and many other things just weren't comparable. Worth thinking about, though. As for Jack vs Tiger: Tiger's still gotta do the longevity thing. Did you see the number of "Top Tens in Majors" put up during the US Open telecast? Something like 73 for Jack and 28 for Tiger, who's just out of the top 10 in that category. It'll take Tiger more than ten years to beat that if he never misses a top 10 in a major ever again. I'm not saying Tiger's not the best if he doesn't beat that - it just says Jack was good for a very long time. A good reason to rank Jack ahead of Hogan and Jones. And maybe Tiger, so far.

I was lucky enough to see Jack in his prime (not live) and have witnessed Tiger's career to date. They say that "comparisons are odious" especially between golfers of different eras, but we like to make them anyways!

Almost everything has changed in the last 30 years - technology (clubs and balls, materials etc), the courses (now set up for the majors to be longer, narrower, deeper rough, faster greens), the pressure - mainly due to the immense television and other media coverage, plus of course the money available.

The greatest difference though is the number of competitive players on the pro tours now. The level of competition is greater (because of the above factors) now than it has ever been, and major winners are coming from everywhere. In Jack's day there were maybe half a dozen guys that were really challenging for the big tournaments. Jack (and Arnie and Gary Player) helped to revolutionise the sport and intoduce it to the world, and to big business, via television. Tiger and his era have taken it to a whole new level, and I personally don't think we'll see the likes of Tiger ever agin. We should all enjoy his achievements and career for what they are.

Tiger. A better question would be who could win in a fight. Obviously not Tiger vrs Jack as he is today. That wouldn't be fair, but Tiger vrs Jack in his prime, that would be interesting.

As much as I love Jack Nicklaus....I would have to say that Tiger is playing against tougher competition and has more skills. I was cheering out loud when Nicklaus won the 86 Masters, but I don't think he could stay with Tiger if all things were equal. Tiger performs at a level unknown before he arrived.
HAPPY GOLFING
Jay in NC
http://www.mygolfreport.com

Jack then Mickelson, then anybody else besides Tiger

While I understand the notion of being sick of Tiger this statement is foolish. Jack is the man in my book until Tiger passes him by but Mickelson? By his own admission he understands he doesn't belong in the same conversation. If this was a question on pure talent maybe Phil would get the nod but he's not in Jack or Tiger's realm for greatest of all time.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Tiger is definitely the man, not only for what he has done on the golf course but what he has done to golf. I am 34 but when I was growing up golf was a game for stuffy old men. Tiger completely revoloutionised the game by bringing in the youth.

Just take a look at the TV ratings if Tiger is playing compared to if he's not.... the figures even drop dramatically if he's not in contention to win.

He is solely responsible for the huge money offered on tour to the players and the whole golfing industry owes him for their multi-billion dollar turnovers.

Jack had the best course management skills of anyone and do not underestimate the value of course management skills. Jack also finished 2nd in majors a high # of times. My vote today is for Jack, maybe in 5 yrs it might go to Tiger if he surpasses Jack's 18 majors.

jack is definitely still "the man". tiger's chance will be how well he can back from his physical handicap considering that jack played through some heavy physical ailments.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

jack is definitely still "the man". tiger's chance will be how well he can back from his physical handicap considering that jack played through some heavy physical ailments.

What was it Voltaire said?

Something like, "...Being uncertain is uncomfortable. Certainty is preposterous..." That injury certainly makes Tiger's romp through the record books uncertain.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I was a big Arnie fan in the 60's and 70's, but Jack had far more mental discipline and course management skill, as well as off the charts putting skill. His competition -- in terms of other major winners -- was definitely stronger than Tiger's. But, if Tiger breaks the 18 major record, especially at an earlier age than Jack, he's the man. (That's a bigger "if" than most think . . .)

Tiger, Tiger Woods ya'll!!!

Although, I'm not a big fan of comparing athletes/teams from different eras. There is far too much speculation (& opinion but I guess that's what makes this such a fun conversation) involved. Jack was the best during his days and Tiger is the best now. The way it stands now it would seem likely that Tiger (pending a full recovery from the ACL surgery) will surpass 18 majors. Like many others though, I feel that Jack had more great-level competitors to contend with. Tiger has a higher volume of good-level players in the fields with him.

I'm sure there will be a day after Tiger hangs it up that another golfer comes along to challenge his greatness...hopefully this forum will still be around for that debate, haha.

Slingshot Cart Bag
Driver - FT-3 10* Draw
3 Wood - Fusion 15*
3-PW - Walter Hagen "The Haig" Blades (from the 1970s, they were my Dad's)
Wedges - 51* Cleveland TA, 56* Vokey SM Oil Can, 60* Vokey Raw SteelPutter - Karsten AnserBall - NXT-Tour