IGNORED

Bay Hill

pusher
Note: This thread is 5527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
IMO those are deflecting answers.

So sez you. Doesn't change the fact that adults swearing is acceptable and children swearing is typically not. Other behaviors follow the same kinds of rules, and that's all I was pointing out.

Having raised several kids, I would never tolerate their acting this way or thinking it was accpetable in such an arena.

Nor would I. Unfortunately for my bank account, Tiger ain't my kid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
The extent to which some people are willing to excuse TW's occasional errant behavior never fails to amuse me. It's as though their hero cannot do any wrong.

BTW, you also seem to be assuming I'd feel differently if it was someone else that did it. I've been incredibly consistent in wanting to see less "robots" on the PGA Tour and more emotion.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread has taught me who Tommy Bolt is at least. I had to look him up I must admit - interesting career. Where people draw the line is a personal decision and I can understand that others may draw the line differently than I.

Same for swearing in public. Where I was brought up, in England, public swearing is much more acceptable than here. But still there's a level above which it's verboten even over the pond. Since I don't like knowingly and gratuitously upsetting people, I'm very careful when and where I swear here in the U.S. - or I use more socially acceptable words ('blast!'). Not quite as satisfying, but when in Rome ....

I agree with Erik that reasonably controlled displays of emotion on the golf course are a good thing. Those guys aren't automatons, we wouldn't watch them if they were. Also, it's somewhat self-limiting: any golfer who can't control strong emotions out there isn't going to last through four days of intense and chastening competition, esp. on the back nine on a Sunday. I note from Tommy Bolt's career that he had the one major. One can speculate that he might have had more had he not had the problem he seems to be famous for. This is pure speculation on my part, since I've never seen him play.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

The thing is, there are plenty of ways to display your frustration or anger with a shot that don't involve throwing a club or pounding it into the ground. I hear more "God damnit's!!" and see more clubs being slammed into the ground with Tiger in one tournament than I see/hear the rest of the year. I just don't like that. There's plenty of other, more appropriate ways to show emotion than that.

We should be more concerned with these kinds of antics instead of worrying about whether or not cargo shorts and a shirt without a collar are appropriate golf course attire.

• Administrator
We should be more concerned with these kinds of antics instead of worrying about whether or not cargo shorts and a shirt without a collar are appropriate golf course attire.

And people who care about cargo shorts but not about Tiger would say "We should be more concerned with dressing properly on the golf course than worrying about whether Tiger drops a club and swears twice per tournament."

Just as you don't seem to care about cargo shorts, I don't care about Tiger's "antics" to this point. To a certain level, I welcome them. Beyond that is a grey area I don't care about. Beyond that point, well, I'll let you know when he's crossed the line. Stevie has (with cameras) in the past, but Tiger hasn't (to me). Just as a guy wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt might not cross the line for you.

The thing is, there are plenty of ways to display your frustration or anger with a shot that don't involve throwing a club or pounding it into the ground. I hear more "God damnit's!!" and see more clubs being slammed into the ground with Tiger in one tournament than I see/hear the rest of the year. I just don't like that. There's plenty of other, more appropriate ways to show emotion than that.

I totally agree here. I don't care if your the number one golfer in the world or just a sunday hacker. The truth is there's a way act when out on the golf course. Proper golf etiquite is not situation based.

What bothers me about this thread is people seem to think its ok because they're pros and to me being a professional makes that type of behavior more unacceptible.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

We all agree that unacceptable behavior is, well, unacceptable ( ) but the issue is, where do you draw the line? I've watched Tiger a lot on the idiot box, and I've followed him in person on Torrey Pines North and South many times down here at the Buick Invitational. I have to say, and I hold him to a very high standard as a superstar sportsman etc etc, that I have never once seen him go over that line. And I would show no reluctance to criticize Tiger in public, just because he's #1. Not my style.

McEnroe was truly a genius with that racquet. When on the top of his game he was just unparalleled. His finesse, strategy and cat-like reflexes still put me in awe, just recalling now some of his performances all those years ago. But but but, he could be a real son-of-a-***** at times. Churlish, inflammatory (to the umpire), whining ...... John is also a bright and mature guy who fully acknowledges this aspect of his character. I forgive him, but my point is that I criticise him strongly for all of that.

Tiger OTOH doesn't need my forgiveness when it comes to his behavior on the links. Maybe I just haven't witnessed what some people have witnessed in his behavior, but like I say I've watched him for hours and hours ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• Administrator
What bothers me about this thread is people seem to think its ok because they're pros and to me being a professional makes that type of behavior more unacceptible.

I haven't seen anyone saying or implying that.

There's a reason why all the "mental" experts tell you the first thing to learn is to control your temper on the course. None of us is immune; it's something I have to periodically remind myself of, too. Of course, at my club, it's not tolerated. People want to have fun, not put up with childish antics from others.

When you have friends who are fighting what are likely to be fatal medical conditions, or playing with what used to be called a handicap, you are reminded how self-absorbed are the club-throwing tantrums over a shot that goes wide.

• Administrator
There's a reason why all the "mental" experts tell you the first thing to learn is to control your temper on the course. None of us is immune; it's something I have to periodically remind myself of, too.

What's that got to do with Tiger?

Last I heard he has a rule: either ten steps or ten feet or something. Once he crosses that line, he's on to the next shot with entirely positive thoughts and feelings. He has 10 feet or 10 steps to express whatever feelings he wants, and then it's 100% in the past. I think Tiger probably knows a bit more about the mental side of playing high-level golf than almost all the "mental experts" combined.
When you have friends who are fighting what are likely to be fatal medical conditions, or playing with what used to be called a handicap, you are reminded how self-absorbed are the club-throwing tantrums over a shot that goes wide.

??? The whole game of golf starts to look silly in the context of "fatal medical conditions." Or I could say "When you have friends who are fighting what are likely to be fatal medical conditions, you are reminded that there are better things to do in life than worry about someone else's club-throwing tantrums over a shot that goes wide."

Let's stick to the topic here, okay? The topic is Arnold's tournament this week with a sub-topic of Tiger's chucking of a club four feet in front of him the other day.

And people who care about cargo shorts but not about Tiger would say "We should be more concerned with dressing properly on the golf course than worrying about whether Tiger drops a club and swears twice per tournament."

Which is why I said I personally just don't like it.

I also think there's plenty of other ways to show emotion and not be robotic than swearing and throwing clubs. There are plenty of guys that are animated and that don't do that.

O'Hair is doing his best to give this tournament to Tiger.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Many players can win this, but I think it will be Tiger or O'Hair. Very close now with a 1-shot lead thru 7.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Many players can win this, but I think it will be Tiger or O'Hair. Very close now with a 1-shot lead thru 7.

Really going out on a limb there!

Constantine

Well, that was a little predictable.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 5527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!