IGNORED

What do you think of the "No women members allowed" at Augusta

Golfgal
Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

....It will probably never extend that to sex because of the Masters, and is certainly exposed on that front.

That's a sad inditement if it were to prove true. Probably too many powerful lobbyists are members at Augusta. Ex-Presidents etc; that kind of thing.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with the "a private club can do what they like" except for the fact that they hold a prestigious Championship. In fact, if they are to hold any PGA-sanctioned event then I don't think this is a tenable position to hold. If they want to come off the PGA roster and just be an exclusive private club then so be it, but I think their stance should be challenged as it stands now.[/QUOTE]

The Masters is not a PGA Tour event... It is a private invitational tournament that is run and organized by a private club.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Augusta does not need to let woman in, and neither does the PGA..

1) The pga is NEVER going to let go of the Masters. I would quit watching any PGA tour event if they got rid of the masters for a silly reason like this.

2) Why do you all care? i doubt that any of us will ever set foot on augusta, let alone to even watch it, much less play it.

3) they are a private club. If a store says, "no shirt no service" they are saying the same thing that augusta is saying. No one has a problem with 711.

4) If augusta were to allow woman, wouldnt that destroy the ambience (yea, i probobly murdered that word) that the Masters has? no other venue has Patrons, no other venue is at all like augusta. Its not like woman cant step foot on the grounds..

Augusta will forever stay the same. Thats the point of it. If you chose not to watch it, thats fine, miss out on the great golf. But i know i will be watching.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

• Administrator
Augusta does not need to let woman in, and neither does the PGA.

The PGA has women members. I suspect you mean PGA Tour, and the PGA Tour doesn't have any rules re: gender. That's why Annika's played, and Michelle Wie.

1) The pga is NEVER going to let go of the Masters. I would quit watching any PGA tour event if they got rid of the masters for a silly reason like this.

Who's saying they would? And PGA Tour != PGA.

4) If augusta were to allow woman, wouldnt that destroy the ambience (yea, i probobly murdered that word) that the Masters has? no other venue has Patrons, no other venue is at all like augusta. Its not like woman cant step foot on the grounds.

I don't think it'd change a darn thing in that regard.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
I would agree with the "a private club can do what they like" except for the fact that they hold a prestigious Championship. In fact, if they are to hold any PGA-sanctioned event then I don't think this is a tenable position to hold. If they want to come off the PGA roster and just be an exclusive private club then so be it, but I think their stance should be challenged as it stands now.

Oh stop splitting hairs and get with the post-19th century vibe. The PGA could easily step in with this and they undoubtedly sanction this event. The Bay Hill this week is invitational is it not? So are many others I have no doubt.

This topic is not up for debate. If they dont want women members, then they have every right to do that. If they dont want negros, they can do that too.

Whoa. I hate to tell you this but I sincerely doubt you're even close to being right there.

Augusta does not need to let woman in, and neither does the PGA..

Would they miss you?

2) Why do you all care? i doubt that any of us will ever set foot on augusta, let alone to even watch it, much less play it.

Why do we care? Not sure really (21st century may have something to do with it) but maybe you should look inward a bit given most of the non-discrimination laws have emanated from the U.S., something you

ought to be proud of.
3) they are a private club. If a store says, "no shirt no service" they are saying the same thing that augusta is saying. No one has a problem with 711.

Ah yes, of course. But that legisation applies to women and men. There is only discrimination against something that can be changed (i.e. wearing a shirt or not) and you'd have to agree it's a little unfair to pick on something that is only a factor of birth.

4) If augusta were to allow woman, wouldnt that destroy the ambience (yea, i probobly murdered that word) that the Masters has? no other venue has Patrons, no other venue is at all like augusta. Its not like woman cant step foot on the grounds..

No, I don't think it would destroy the "ambience" and no, Augusta will not "forever be the same". I'll be watching but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take the chance to disagree with their position on this.

One last thing on this thread in general. There is some really nasty thinking behind many comments here. I guess you like your women 3-foot tall with flat heads to stand your beers on? Married? Partners? What do they think of your take on this? Take a good look at yourselves. I bet the OP is just soaking all of this in! Should make for an interesting philosophical article.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

• Administrator
The PGA could easily step in with this and they undoubtedly sanction this event.

No, they really couldn't. The PGA Tour "sanctions" it so it counts as an event as far as membership, the money won counts on the money list, etc.

That doesn't mean they can somehow prevent players from playing. The PGA tour would be STUPID to take away sanctioning, and it wouldn't affect a darn thing. Everyone would still go play. Furthermore, the PGA != the PGA Tour.
Married? Partners? What do they think of your take on this? Take a good look at yourselves.

I'm married. My wife couldn't care less about Augusta's policy. She's a member of some mom-only or female-only groups.

If you're in the U.K., how about the R&A; still not admitting a female member? You're hardly one to talk about the general behavior towards the sexes from a national standpoint. http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/year...03/randa2.html They're a "private club" too, but they're also the darn ruling body. The USGA doesn't have any sort of policy like this. UK people saying Augusta should open up to women is worse than the pot calling the kettle black.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No, they really couldn't. The PGA Tour "sanctions" it so it counts as an event as far as membership, the money won counts on the money list, etc.

I have no doubt you're right. That doesn't make it right and I have no doubt that if they did make more of an issue about it rather than (conveniently) ignore it many players might think just a little more.

I'm married. My wife couldn't care less about Augusta's policy. She's a member of some mom-only or female-only groups.

Don't take this the wrong way, but how nice for her.

If you're in the U.K., how about the R&A; still not admitting a female member?

Oh give me strength.

1) That's a 2003 article but to be fair I have no idea what their current policy is. Did you find anything more current? 2) You assume (and you know what they say about that word) that I don't think the same about similar archaic policies here in the U.K. Wrong. Just because some people here are as misogynistic as the ANGC means I can't disagree with Augusta? Come on. There has also been plenty of discussion about issues such as this over here; lets just say they're working on it. I would say the same re. the R&A; - if they host events like The Open, it should be at venues which are not open to discrimination of this type. In any case, what on Earth has this got to do with R&A;? We're discussing the policy at Augusta aren't we? 3) Don't get all defensive on me re. pots/kettles. You assume (there's that word again) that there's some U.K. vs. U.S.A. angle on my opinions about this? I expected better from you.

Picked the above quote but many others make the same point.

A prestigious "Championship" that can't be moved to another club. The Augusta National Golf Club gets what it wants or The Masters ceases to exist.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

• Administrator
Don't take this the wrong way, but how nice for her.

There's only one way to take it. You asked that people check with their wives. I did. She doesn't see it as sexist.

1) That's a 2003 article but to be fair I have no idea what their current policy is. Did you find anything more current?

Look it up yourself. The issue came up again in February of this year and they still haven't changed.

2) You assume (and you know what they say about that word) that I don't think the same about similar archaic policies here in the U.K. Wrong.

I didn't assume how you felt. Was simply pointing out that there's a worse example a bit closer to home for you.

3) Don't get all defensive on me re. pots/kettles. You assume (there's that word again) that there's some U.K. vs. U.S.A. angle on my opinions about this? I expected better from you.

And you're assuming that I've assumed things about you, so I suggest that just end here.

You said "the non-discrimination laws have emanated from the U.S.," as if the laws of the U.S. had something to do with this Augusta issue. The legal angle's been covered. I don't intend to make a big deal of the R&A;/female thing - it was a small part of the few posts I've made here - but I did want to point out that perhaps as a U.K. resident there are other issues that hit closer to home and are worse examples of sexism, and that you might want to speak to those or put a bit of your effort into changing that stuff first. Nothing more. You can continue to make a big deal of it if you'd like, but I'm done. As a general rule, I don't much care about what goes on in the U.K.

This topic is not up for debate. If they dont want women members, then they have every right to do that. If they dont want negros, they can do that too.

Do people in Virginia still refer to African Americans as Negroes?

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

that part of your argument doesnt make sense either. women are allowed to play at Augusta. they just have to be accompanied by a member. anything else?

It's not an arguement, and it does make sense. If you read my first post, I was simply stating my opinion about the exclusion of a certain sex: Agreeing with the policy at Augusta National, and how that I felt that it is not sexest.

Also, I was stating that I would disagree with policy of any PRIVATE club to limit its membership when it is the only club of it's kind in the area. Anything else?

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
DRIVER: G2, Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue 65S
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

1) That's a 2003 article but to be fair I have no idea what their current policy is. Did you find anything more current?

As of a few weeks ago this was a really big deal in the news over there. St. Andrews University now has a woman principal and there is a ruckus over her not being made a member like a couple of her male predecessors. FYI.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Not sure your term is politically correct, and should be capitalized.

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

As of a few weeks ago this was a really big deal in the news over there. St. Andrews University now has a woman principal and there is a ruckus over her not being made a member like a couple of her male predecessors. FYI.

A couple of her male predecessors, or all of them?????

Datrek Zone Bag

Her two immediate male predecessors, and apparently they were not offered until they had served awhile.

She neither plays nor appears to care about golf. She was an excuse to get some fired up over the R & A's long standing, no female membership. Probably not the best poster woman for the fight.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

You can continue to make a big deal of it if you'd like, but I'm done. As a general rule, I don't much care about what goes on in the U.K.

Nah, I'm done. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Unlike your good self however, I'm interested in the rest of the World.

Wasn't it in 1990 when Shoal Creek Country Club in Birmingham, AL got a lot of bad press because they had a policy barring black members? Then Augusta quickly invited a "token" black to be a member.

True, private clubs can invite/accept members of their choice, but like every choice there could be consequences. Let's not suger-coat it....not having black members is a lingering effect from racist segregation policies of the past. Truth be told...most of those country clubs still do not want black members & in today's world most blacks do not want to go where they are not wanted. The Masters is a great tournament & Augusta is a great course.....but it if quacks like a Duck it probably is a Duck.

Another thing....I'm sure CBS makes a lot of $$$ from the Masters....but if they went to the Augusta Chairman & said....either accept a woman member or we will not show your tournament? & all he stations said the same thing. Yea...we would not have a masters tournament, green jacket, blah, blah blah......but Augusta would lose millions they could not recoup.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!