IGNORED

Difference Between Irons Off Tee and Off Grass

Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Soloredd,

The degree on your driver has nothing to do with what handicap you are. It is all about your swing. Justin Leonard plays a 10.5 degree driver. Look at the long drive competitors. They use like 5 degree drivers..etc and I am betting their handicap is not better than Tiger's. The pro could have suggested that because of ball flight, spin and a handful of other factors.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm having a problem with my middle irons (5-6-7). Right now I can hit off the tee pretty good. I tee it up probably higher than most, 1/2", but this allows me to get a great compressing feel on the ball. My 7i goes about 150 - my SS is slow so 150 works for me. However, on the fairway, I have trouble getting that same compressed feeling. I hit it about 130 with my 7i. I make sure to make a complete swing through the ball, everything else feels the same. My divots aren't crazy, occasionally they might be at or slightly behind the ball. But even when my divot is in front it's still the same result.

I've had better players tell me that generally speaking they use a tee to duplicate a perfect lie....unless, of course we are talking about a driver.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Look at the picture below. I think it's a very good visualisation of how to hit down on the ball, which is what you have to teach yourself. The symptoms are the exact same I had before and the reason is without any doubt that you are trying to help the ball into the air. Perhaps not consiously, but it's what we do subconsiously that matter in golf. We don't have time or the capacity to think about everything during a golf swing. Which is why we have to practice the fixes long enough to make them automatic.

Use the image in your head and start the downswing with your hips. Exaggerate some in the beginning where you rotate through the ball with your hips. By doing this you will have problems hitting up on the ball. Once you hit your first shot properly down on the ball you will know what to fell and look for. Then practice enough to get it down.
Good luck.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 12 years later...
4 minutes ago, Big Ben said:

I tee every shot except putting and bump and run. So much more fun to see the ball go into the air instead of straight across the ground 

Well welcome to TST! Not to razz you too hard…but I’m not sure that post will revive this 12 year old thread….😛

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Big Ben said:

I tee every shot except putting and bump and run. So much more fun to see the ball go into the air instead of straight across the ground 

You tee the ball up from the fairway and rough too?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• iacas changed the title to Difference Between Irons Off Tee and Off Grass
Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!