IGNORED

Golf Trip Gambling Games

Rounders
Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We play wolf where only on par 3's must you choose partner as soon as they hit. You go lone wolf after everyone hits on par 4/5 and you choose nobody. On par 3's you have to hit in order of predetermined hole assignment....If you go lone on par 3 you must choose yourself immediately before others hit. On par 4/5 order of play is inconsequential. We play first 6 one dot 2nd 6 two dots and last 6 three dots. carryovers on ties.

For big gaming....Vegas Wolf....Played just like wolf but value of hole is based on team score being put into double digit number....Only twist is birdies reverse the other teams order...For instance....A has 4 B has 3 C has 5 D has 6....It's a par 3 and AB vs CD...outcome is 34 vs 56 or 22 dots for the hole....no carryovers...Same hole but its a par 4 same scores outcome is AB-34 CD 65[reversed] so outcome is 31 dots for the hole...Tons of action and good news is if somebody having a bad day you can pick others....

Wow.

My bets are pretty tame. We have a $1 standing bet on every par three closest to the pin on the green, but closest to the pin has to par or it carries over. Last hole is longest drive on the fairway.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Originally Posted by ManofManyStangs

Round Robin Change team mates every 6 holes and combine scores for the 6 holes. Everyone is a team at some point in the 18 holes.

We do this every once in while but play 3- 6 hole matches....Front 3 back 3 total  match play

I've played Wolf and enjoyed it, but a word of caution about this and any other games that require fixed protocols (unless your whole group is very familiar with them)- it can slow down the play of the round if you have to spend time figuring out whose turn it is to hit or other rules of the game.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I did a  Google search on golf gambling games and there are quite a few so take a look.  Sticking to the more familiar & simple games is a good idea as the pace of play can get slow for unfamiliar/complex games.

Originally Posted by Rounders

We play 5 rounds of golf, over 3 days. 18 on Sunday, 36 on Monday, 36 on Tuesday. The handicaps range from 5 to 38. We have 16 golfers.

Any ideas for me?

Butch

• 5 years later...
On 4/13/2009 at 2:34 PM, red22769 said:

I too take on the dubious task of running a weekend trip for 24 guys, and am looking for some new ideas for gaming this this year.

We play 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday, and 18 on Sunday. The afternoon 18 on Saturday is a 4 man scramble.
In years past we have done the usual: skins, and greenies, for each round as well as a "Calloway Low Total" for the 3 regular rounds for a tourney winner.
To figure the Calloway score you need a chart that can easily be found on the internet, but it is a lot of work calulating 24 scores for each round!!!
It is a very fair way to play when you have a wide range of handicappers, as our group does. The Calloway scoring levels the playing field right out, but as I said, it is a lot of work to re-calc all the scores.

When I play, I like to incorporate a game of Poker into my round. It's an easy game to play on the course and keeps everyone in the foresome in the game.
Best 5 card poker hand at the end of the round wins the pot.
Usually $5 per golfer.

You need a deck of playing cards.
There are 3 cards up for grabs on all par 4's & par 5's
There are only 2 cards up for grabs on par 3's

You win a card by doing any or all of the following on each par 4 or 5:

Longest Drive In The Fairway - If nobody lands in the fairway, then no card is awarded
1st on the green - from farthest approach
Least amount of putts - In the case of a tie there is no card awarded.

You win a card by doing any or all of the following on each par 3:
Closest To The Pin
Least amount of putts - In the case of a tie there is no card awarded.

EXTRA KICKERS:
**You do not have to draw a card if you do not want too.
**You can only have a maximum of 5 cards in your hand at once. If you already have 5 cards, and are due a card, and wish to draw a card, you MUST discard 1 before drawing the new card.
**We do not count putts from the fringe as putts, so we can actually win a card on a hole with a 0# of putts if we hole it out from the fringe...tough to do, but tougher to beat!

My group plays a poker game too but we keep it to putting. This is a 4some game while we have other large group games going. Our group is 10hdcp - 30hdcp and this games keeps everyone in the mix unless you're 3+ putting every hole.

Rules: (Everyone antes to start $5)(Poker hand is played after 9 holes)

3putt - Add $1 to the pot

More than 3putt - Add an additional $1 for each stroke over the 3-putt

2putt - pull 1 card

1putt - pull 2 cards

Chip in - pull 2 cards + steal a card from anyone. Only the player who chips in can peak at others cards.

I don't know if this has a name.

Per hole to the winner of the hole, .25 bogey, .50 par, $1 birdie, $2 eagle. No carryovers, two tie all tie. Everyone pays the winner.

$1 front, back, and total low medal score.

$1 closest to the pin every par three, must be on green.

The guys I played this game with were all about the same skill level, so no handicaps used. Obviously you could use handicaps and put the net score on each hole. You could up the $ values if you wanted, but an eagle is likely to pay $30 to the winner. On the other hand it evens out over the course of 18, so unless someone has a personal best or worst, not a lot of individual money actually changes hands.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

54 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I don't know if this has a name.

Per hole to the winner of the hole, .25 bogey, .50 par, $1 birdie, $2 eagle. No carryovers, two tie all tie. Everyone pays the winner.

$1 front, back, and total low medal score.

$1 closest to the pin every par three, must be on green.

The guys I played this game with were all about the same skill level, so no handicaps used. Obviously you could use handicaps and put the net score on each hole. You could up the $ values if you wanted, but an eagle is likely to pay $30 to the winner. On the other hand it evens out over the course of 18, so unless someone has a personal best or worst, not a lot of individual money actually changes hands.

Kind of sounds like junk. My group does that as a group game sometimes too. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2011 at 8:15 PM, MEfree said:

I've played Wolf and enjoyed it, but a word of caution about this and any other games that require fixed protocols (unless your whole group is very familiar with them)- it can slow down the play of the round if you have to spend time figuring out whose turn it is to hit or other rules of the game.

I used to play this pretty regularly with a group, and we started to figure out that the guy who was winning was only winning because he was lucky to pick the right partner (and then win carryovers). Our game was draw names before the first tee, or let the first tee shots decide order of rotation for the first 16 holes, and whoever was losing the most on 17 was Wolf, and same on 18.
So anyway after a few months of Mr. Lucky winning we came up with a variation that we called FU Wolf, that works where if you are picked to be the Wolfs partner you can immediately say FU and then you were going alone as Wolf for the hole. It added a lot of discussion and good natured verbal jabbing.

Players play, tough players win!

On 4/10/2009 at 5:37 PM, NorCalGolfer said:

Best foursome game ever: WOLF

For those that have never played this or don't know how it works let me explain.

Hole 1 is a par 4.

Player A tees off on hole 1. If Player A bombs his drive straight down the middle and thinks he has a good chance to beat the other players...he calls WOLF and plays the other 3 guys in match play. If he hits a bad shot...he waits for player B to hit his shot. Once player B hits he has the choice to pick him or wait for C. Once player C has hit, player A can't go back and choose player B. He must either take C or wait for D. But if he waits for D to hit and player D hits the worst shot of the bunch...well tough cookies. After you choose your partner or go WOLF the hole becomes match play with dots. Holes carry over obviously and on the second hole it's player B's turn to tee off first and choose. Extremely fun game.

I made the mistake of playing with a 3some and I was having a terrible day so I was basically playing against 2 people the whole day. NOT FUN! Needless to say I lost my ass.

I'll second that, Wolf is my favorite.  We play like that but the points are allocated like this... If a Lone Wolf wins he gets 4 pts.  If the three person team (Wolf pack) playing against a Lone Wolf wins they each get 1 point.  If the team of the Wolf and the partner win (the Overdogs) they each get 2 pts.  If the team of the two that didn't get picked wins (the Underdogs) they each get 3 pts.  Also note that you pick an order of who tees off with a tee throw before the round, you keep that order through the round but it rotates by one player each hole.

We came up with a Wolf like game for a threesome, we call it Alpha Dog.  Like wolf but: The Top Dog tees off, if he declares he's going sole then he becomes the Alpha Dog and the other two players are the Dog Pack.  If the Top Dog doesn't go solo and picks another player then they are the Dog Pack and the player left out is the Runt.  Alpha dog wins = 2 pts, Dog Pack wins = 1 pt each, Runt wins = 3 pts.  I like this just as much as Wolf.  We apply Handicaps to both Wolf and Alpha Dog.

Snakes is a fun side bet and whether that is played can be determined by each foursome. http://golf.about.com/od/golfterms/g/bldef_snake.htm

Hold the Money is a fun side bet and whether that is played can be determined by each foursome.  We each put $2 in the pot.  The longest hole out, be it a putt, a chip, an approach, holds the money.  For example, on the 1st hole player A makes the longest putt with a 6 footer.  No one makes anything longer until the third hole where Player A makes a 9 footer, player A still holds the money.  The 9 footer isn't beat until hole #6 Player B makes a 20 footer beating the 9 footer and Player B now holds the money.  The 20 footer isn't beat until Player C chips in from 60 feet on #16, now Player C holds the money.  No one exceeds the 60 footer for the rest of the round and Player C holds the money and takes the money home.

19 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Snakes is a fun side bet and whether that is played can be determined by each foursome. http://golf.about.com/od/golfterms/g/bldef_snake.htm

Snake is best played with visual aids.  Although we don't play Snake very often, my wife and I both have a rubber snake in our cars for just this purpose.  The snake, either on the dash or on the desk behind the back seat, serves an additional purpose, scaring the unsuspecting friend who snags a ride with you.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!