IGNORED

Looking into a Golf Membership - Have Some Questions

sioutdoors
Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Golf is the most expensive sport to get into and I'm willing to bet that not a lot of people here have the disposable income to join a club

That's great man. I didn't say that it was reasonable for a lot of people. The thread is about club membership so I listed why I enjoy my membership and said that I don't see any down sides IF you can afford it and can play other courses.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love my club. It is, what I consider, pretty damn expensive but that's part of being a member at a really nice club.

Good post about some of the benefits to belonging to a nice country club. My wife & I joined 6 years ago, and it's the best thing I did for my game - the nice practice facilities, private lessons, playing a lot more - went from a 24 handicap to my current 7 (course handicap). I've met some great people, most who are as much into golf as myself. We have 27 holes so there's some variety; my wife and I just got out for a quick 9 with our youngest son yesterday, no one around (mid-week early afternoon) so we really got to enjoy.

I can't justify it on a per-round cost basis, but the intangibles make it all worth it.

909D2 10.5ΒΊ Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
949MC 14ΒΊ Blueboard 73 Stiff
20ΒΊ 4DX-3IWS Ironwood Stiff
AP2 Project X 5.5 (4-PW, 51ΒΊ GW)
Vokey 54ΒΊ-10 Spin Milled X-Tour 58ΒΊ-11 PM MDByron Morgan 006 Oil Can putter

The economics of joining a club and evaluating whether it is worth the cost is a personal thing and varies greatly based on location. However, once you join a private club you will likely never regret it (other than the $$). The ability to play whenever you want, the much faster pace of play and the great conditioning are three big benefits that are hard to put a price on.

that's the truth. everytime that I play with friends that are members of private clubs..it's show up...wait maybe 15 minutes tops and then go out. they're always in great condition... BUT and this is my biggest BUT

if you're dropping 40k for the bond/initiation fee and then 8500 a year in food, you're basically gonna have to play there 4 days a week to get your money's worth. I'm still looking into joining a private club in the northern jersey area, but there's only 5 that area REALLY worth it...
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• 2 months later...
Well, after several e mails and a lengthy phone conversation with the club I am going to go see it. Next Wednesday I'm going for the tour, lunch and a round of golf. I've never been a member to a private club. I'm curious about what I should be looking for and what is important to ask. I did gather a bunch of info but I'm afraid to miss something.
Any suggestions?

Gary

-----------------------------------------------
In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

that's the truth. everytime that I play with friends that are members of private clubs..it's show up...wait maybe 15 minutes tops and then go out. they're always in great condition... BUT and this is my biggest BUT

Which are the 5 you are looking at? I'm also looking in North NJ.

Gary

In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

Rather than focusing on just the condition of the course:

Keep an eye on the atmosphere; the friendlieness of the staff, and the other members.

just a small tip

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I wish it were that cheap here. I'm interested in 5 of northern NJ's most prestigious cc's

Yeah, the country clubs around me probably run about the same or more, not that I've looked into it. And I'm guessing there's no chance I could get into them even if I wanted to. Some of the clubs in my area:

Congressional Burning Tree TPC Avenal Bethesda Country Club Chevy Chase Country Club Columbia Country Club I'm thinking I've got a snowball's chance in hell of every getting in. The idea kind of appeals to me, but it's a hell of a lot of money.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H,Β Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I am lucky because I can get a year long membership to the course on post for $475, and it is reciprocated at all other military installations. Gordon Lakes has 27 holes, so plenty of variety as well.

My bag:

Bag:Β TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

Β 

Those are good tips. Thanks.
I was also wondering how many members in a club is a good amount. What is the average number of members in a private club?

Gary

In my bag:

If you can afford it, private is the way to go. Many benefits , but here are a few questions you might ask (diplomatically).
1) Is club currently profitable? Clubs in the red can turn ugly.
2) Are there any pending assessments? I failed to ask this once and within six months got an assessment of several thousand dollars for a clubhouse remodel.
3) How much outside play do they allow? See #1, if they need cash they may schedule a lot of outside tournaments to raise cash.
4) Does your initiation buy you any equity? I once paid $23,000 initiation but sold my membership when I moved 3 years later for $40,000. The club takes 20% commission, but still a good deal.
5) What are food & beverage minimums?
If I think of more I'll be back.

If you can afford it, private is the way to go. Many benefits , but here are a few questions you might ask (diplomatically).

Thanks.

This is a private equity club. I will politely ask about the current financial status and assessments(good tip). Food min is $12k/yr. I did ask about outside play. Mondays the course is closed to members and outside outings are held. I would never golf anyway on a Monday so it didn't really bother me. Otherwise the course is pretty exclusive, guests need a member with them to play.

Gary

In my bag:

Forgot to mention. One of the clubs I looked at had a "mortgage assessment" for $3k/yr.
What does this mean?

Gary

In my bag:

I would also consider the social aspect of the club. If you just want to play golf that that really should not matter but I was a member at a club and their was not a whole lot going on socially.

I really depends on what you want out of a golf club. My personal opinion is that if you are paying the money you should expect special perks. Some people will disagree with me and some will not.

Keep it on the short grass.

IMO you should ask about the cancellation policy as well. You want to make sure it's not a deal where you HAVE to keep your membership until someone new joins. Also, I think 300-400 is the max membership I would want. My club has 360 and there is never a problem getting a time to play but it's normally bustling with golfers at a decent pace any given day.

BTW, you are going to love being a part of a private club. I just joined mine in July and I am 32 y/o so yes, there are a ton of retirees but I am now beginning to meet other members and their kids are meeting my kids so this is pretty cool IMO. My wife and I are making new friends. I am also meeting some movers and shakers out there as well. Never hurts to have some contacts, it's similar to a fraternity for golfers.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

I've never realised how cheap golf is here in NZ until I came to this forum. I wouldn't call the course I'm a member at a country club exactly and it's definitely not a private course but it's got bar/food facilities and locker rooms etc., just have to book a tee time on the weekend when it's busyish, and members get preferred times. It costs me about $200 US for an U23 full year membership and our mild climate means I can play all year round. Works out at 14 rounds of golf per year to get my money's worth and is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying green fees every time I want to play, even if I do still play other courses.

Don't forget to ask about any playing restrictions for new members. There are places around me that take you money, or part of it, but then don't allow you to play on weekends for a couple of years.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't forget to ask about any playing restrictions for new members. There are places around me that take you money, or part of it, but then don't allow you to play on weekends for a couple of years.

You've got to be kidding me... That's the first I've ever heard of that... what a bunch if BS.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!