IGNORED

Score better walking vs riding

MarkM
Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played 9 holes with my daughter last night and she talked me into getting a cart instead of walking. I shot a 60 and did not feel I was playing very well compared to the last couple times I played when I walked (w/push cart). this morning I was looking over my scores from the last several times I have played both walking and riding and sure enough I seem to score 5-10 strokes better walking than when riding a golf cart.

Not sure why this is other than for some reason I feel rushed when I am using a cart and seem to get into the flow of the game more when walking. Last night we were the last tee time so we had no one behind us and all we had to beat was the daylight, yet I still felt rushed and found myself hurrying from hole to hole. I think in a few days we will go out again the last tee time and this time walk the course and see what happens. Anybody else notice a differance in how they play riding vs walking?

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

I have no tangible evidence that when I walk I score better, but it feels like I do. For me, I know walking takes more energy so if I hit a bad shot or make a mistake I can't waste energy on feeling sorry for myself or throw a club and have to retrieve it. I just seem to buckle down and try to make the next shot better.

I think you have more time to forget a bad shot and prepare for your next shot when you walk.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I would choose walking over riding anyday. Unless im playing 36 i like to ride the last 18. when you walk you get more into the game and you have time to think and plan out your shots rather then hit drive hit drive........

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

• Administrator
I think I play better walking over riding too. I try to walk quite a bit even when I take a cart. I feel like I'm more aware of the conditions (wind, firmness of the ground, etc.) when I walk.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been primarily a cart guy until this year when I finally decided to walk more. I'm doing it to help lose weight and get in better shape and because my most regular golf partners also walk. I am finding that I play quite a bit better when I ride because walking gets me out of my tempo. When I walk I always seem to be in more of a hurry and my tempo speeds up. When I ride I feel calmer and the tempo slows down.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Your body is loose and your muscles are warmed up when you walk.

Riding a cart keeps you from getting a proper workout (stretching with a club isnt a workout).

Muscles, much like a muscle car, need to be warmed up to operate correctly. Which is why most guys who are walking seem to peak from 4-12or13, and die down at the end. After a while they've exerted too much energy.

Its also why a guy like Tiger Woods and Anthony Kim can excel from start to finish. Their conditioning is superior to anyone in the field. 18 holes in 90 degree heat wears them out, but not like it does to a guy like say, cabrera, who is every bit as good, but not in half the cardiovascular shape.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I also have a tendency to score better when I walk rather ride. The reasoning for me is kinda stupid, but most often if I change my mind on what club to hit, it's too late because my cart buddy already drove to his ball....:P

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

I score better when I walk. I have come to connect walking to mean I am playing serious golf and riding to mean I playing for fun.

Some reasons I feel some people play better when walking is while you are walking to your ball you are already analyzing the shot and you have longer to do this on foot. Another reason is because carts speed up everything. If you hit it out of bounds you don't have to walk back so maybe you are taking longer to analyze the shots.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

I score better when I walk. I have come to connect walking to mean I am playing serious golf and riding to mean I playing for fun.

You are correct.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Walking keeps my head in the game. When riding I seem to be more distracted and less focused.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I play better walking than riding by about 5 shots, too. I only ride when I play a course that requires it, and then it's usually with a friend that prefers it, too. I will get out and walk to my ball whenever I can do so.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I prefer to walk the courses, but most of my friends don't so to "keep up the speed of pay" I will ride with them;however, I've tried to convince the stubborn ones that you can walk the course (roughly) in the same amount of time as you can ride it.

I score better walking too for all the above reasons - more thought into the shot.

Riding or walking, I score well when I establish a rhythm. As soon as I have to wait 5 minutes between holes, usually the next shot has a better chance of not working out so well. Of course I should guard and prepare for this, but bad shots still happen for me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No difference. Riding or walking makes no difference at all in scoring. What matters is doing what you are used to and maintaining a certain rhythm through the round. I used to walk exclusively and I felt exactly like most of you who walk... that I couldn't play as well riding. Now that my body won't allow me to walk, I always ride and I still score as well as I ever did.

All of you walkers, if you were suddenly unable to walk the course, but still played as often as you do now, it would take very little time for you to adapt your game and your playing tempo to cart golf. Make all the excuses you like, but the game is essentially the same. You approach your ball, you evaluate the lie and conditions. You check your distance, hazards, plan the shot. You do your same pre-shot routine. You play the shot, clean the club off, replace it in the bag, then move to your next shot, or to pick up your cart companion after he plays his shot.

It's still the same game folks, just a minor change in tempo.

BTW anyone who thinks that walking while playing golf is anything resembling a workout is kidding themselves. It may be slightly better exercise than riding, but it isn't a workout.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
BTW anyone who thinks that walking while playing golf is anything resembling a workout is kidding themselves.

It's not cardiovascular, but it still burns calories. More than sex or running four miles.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am huge walking fan. I like it because even if I have a bad day, I can say at least I exercised. I also like playing 3 times for the same price as 2 cart rounds.

I know I play better when I walk but recently I have fallen apart on the back. So who knows?

Brian

It's not cardiovascular, but it still burns calories. More than sex or running four miles.

How many do you burn while having sex in a cart while driving 4 miles?

This calls for testing.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Bull about not being exercise. Walk here in the hills and see if you are tired afterwards. I was the thinnest I have ever been when I was walking 90 holes a week.

Brian

Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!