IGNORED

Practice vs play

shakogolfer78
Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recenty watching the golf channel, and I saw they were debating about why there has been so few Americans winning these big tournaments. They said that all the top junior players spend all their time putting and hours hitting balls on the range but never go out and play. This got me thinking how much of your time devouted to practice vs playing. Also, I was wondering if you guys know of any ways to make playing a round as productive as practice of vice versa. In my high school career I have had amazing practice rounds with my buddies, but in the real match I fall apart completely. I need some help converting this to the big game. Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Time wise I play more than I practice but I practice on more occasions during the week than I play. One way to make practice more productive for course play is to play a course in your head when you practice. Hit driver then an iron depending on how well you hit the driver then maybe a wedge and then repeat over a course you know well. It helps put a bit of pressure on by getting you used to not being able to just hit another one with the same club if you duff it at the range.

Well where I go to school it costs $11 to walk 18 holes at a couple of golf courses and a large bucket at the range is also $11. So technically if you ask me I would rather spend 75% of my time playing if I am going to be paying the same amount.

However, if I do not have time to play I will at least go to the range and hit some balls rather than do nothing.

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

I think one way to make your practice rounds more productive is make it mean something. I am sure being in HS you have your team mates that play with you. Play a nine hole match against them. If you need to make it worth something to make it interesting, then do it. You need to simulate the pressure of a match to get used to the addriniline, swinging hard even if you think you are swinging easy, and being able to control the ball when you can hardly control yourself.

In terms of practice verse play, I think the most improvement is from playing. I know when I have had the biggest improvement I was playing 90 holes a week. I also find the range to be a place to work on technique but it is not where you learn how to play. You need to be able to hit a good 7 iron off a sidehill lie and be able to play not just the standard shot. Another thought is the importance of short game. I would also try to compete with a buddy on the practice greens if the green has holes in putting competition. A game I recommend is called safety drawback. It is straight from Pelz and teaches you to give your putts a chance but not go too far back. I will give you the details if you are interested. Also practice getting up and down against a buddy.

Hope this helps.

Brian

My son and I will play a game of worst ball that I think really helps you "practice" while playing. Hit two balls each, pick the worst of the two and hit from there. We'll also play the occaisional battle golf round... That will make you get creative...

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Great idea!

I have pretty much stopped going to the range unless my 5 year old wants to go. I just don't get anything out of it. I would rather pay a few $ more and play a practice round. If the course is slow drop an extra ball around the green, or if I hit a bad shot drop another ball and hit again.
My son and I will play a game of worst ball that I think really helps you "practice" while playing. Hit two balls each, pick the worst of the two and hit from there. We'll also play the occaisional battle golf round... That will make you get creative...

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Over the past few years, I have always played and very rarely hit the range. I would never even warm up on the range because I always seemed to start working on my swing rather than warming up. So I used the course as my practice. The problem with that is, even though I was just practicing, when I had a couple of bad shots that hurt scores, that would stick in my head and completely screw up the round scorewise and practice wise. On the range, there is no score so I didn't seem to get as down on myself. It can work both ways.

This year I have decided to put in a lot more work on the range with ball striking etc...I think to get a swing engrained into muscle memory you need to hit on the range. You just get more swings at the same shot. I mean it would be hard to go out on the course and hit 50 SW shots from 80 yards without being interrupted....at least at my course anyway. If you do that, then you have all of the ball marks to fix, divots to fix, and you are really messing up a nice green, etc...I used to be the play more than practice guy but I am changing that mentality this year.

With that being said, you don't want to become a driving range pro that can't play!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Another useful way to practice is in the evenings. I do not feel comfortable hitting a ton of shots but maybe 4 wedge shots, then 4 pitch shots, a few bunker shots. But you have to be the last person on the course. I like to see how my shots are received on the green. But always fix the pitch markes and divots. I have never had anyone say a word to me and if you are by yourself behind a league, you can keep up with them and still do this.

It is a good way to see exactly how far your ball goes. I use my range finder to get exact distances. I think the range balls are not the same as far as distance.

Brian

Another useful way to practice is in the evenings. I do not feel comfortable hitting a ton of shots but maybe 4 wedge shots, then 4 pitch shots, a few bunker shots. But you have to be the last person on the course. I like to see how my shots are received on the green. But always fix the pitch markes and divots. I have never had anyone say a word to me and if you are by yourself behind a league, you can keep up with them and still do this.

I agree with you on all of this. Once you have your ball striking down, nothing is going to give you the feedback that hitting into the green will! And the range balls really do suck! There are two different ranges I go to. One is at my course with the traditional yellow range balls, but the other range actually has real balls that they find on a course. You are hitting TF, ProVs, Nike, etc...there.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I say the best thing for you is to go out and hit on the range for a while, and then go on the waters edge par 30 course across the street for a quick 9 holes to see what your working with. Other days you can go on the real stonebrook course to work on your course management. This is a real good way to practice and work on your game. That par 30 course is great for you because you get to work on your short game, and you get a double practice session; on the range, and the real thing.

I think your handicap will come down dramatically. As a fellow high school golfer myself, I know what your talking about when you say you can't get it together in a tournament. But, if you can get that feeling of playing in a tournament while you are practicing, or if you can get the feeling of practicing while playing in a tournament, it will help tremendously. Good luck!

~RHPM

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

If you go to the range, never hit the same more than twice in a row. Keep yourself making good swings will all clubs. When is the last time you hit 10 shots witha 6-iron in a row on the course? I would hope never.

Whats in the bag?
909 D3 8.5* UST Mamiya Tour Green X
909 F3 13* UST ATTAS X
909 F3 18* UST ATTAS X
909 H 21* DG S300 735cm chrome 5-PW DG S300 54.08 SM 58.04 SM 64.07 SM Studio Select Newport 2 Sonic Blue Dot...

Well where I go to school it costs $11 to walk 18 holes at a couple of golf courses and a large bucket at the range is also $11. So technically if you ask me I would rather spend 75% of my time playing if I am going to be paying the same amount.

The practice greens and putting greens are free

I practice probably three times a week for 1.5 hours each and play one round for about 4.5, so I'd say I am about 50-50. I practice because I like it. After work I'll drive to the range and hit a bucket or just pitch and chip. It relaxes me, especially when the weather is nice. Lately I have switched focus to my short game, because that's where the score comes down most.

In a typical "good golf week" (for me) I'll play twice and practice 4 times. That works for me.

I know that I really don't like to play 3 straight days. By then I can feel things going seriously off-kilter (I rarely play well on that 3rd day) and they are things that can only be resolved on the range.

I have had other good golfers tell me that I need to play more (vs. practice) to play better. I have a different perspective - you have to (somehow) have a pretty good/natural golf swing to be able to manage it with mostly play on the course. I'm sure it works for some - but not for me.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!