IGNORED

Are you a 'new' ball snob?

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 5947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a new ball snob?

• Ball Snob - Must have a new ball at all times.
    • Semi Snob - Must start with a new ball.
    • Non Snob - As long as it looks round, I'll use it.

I have bought 1 box of new golf balls my entire life... it's just flat out dumb to spend 4 bucks a ball for damn near the same thing as these....

I just ordered 7 boxes (7 dozen) NXT Tours balls from another site. I got them a few days ago, and they are in perfect condition. I also can't justify the $30-50 a dozen for decent balls, and I'm tired of playing whatever 3-piece middle of the line ball is on sale. I'm going the used ball route all year this year... and with the money I'm saving I bought an iGolf

OK, I would have bought the iGolf either way, but I feel better spending $7.99 for a dozen NXT Tours.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered 7 boxes (7 dozen) NXT Tours balls from another site. I got them a few days ago, and they are in perfect condition. I also can't justify the $30-50 a dozen for decent balls, and I'm tired of playing whatever 3-piece middle of the line ball is on sale. I'm going the used ball route all year this year... and with the money I'm saving I bought an iGolf

I'm with you. I just can't spend fifty bucks on a dozen balls.

Before the Pro V, the Precept Lady was a hot-selling ball. I started playing them and they do everything I used to get out of balata. Now they are $9.99 a dozen. Effective but not fashionable and not macho. I really don't care about the last two items. Konrad, Thanks a lot for that link. Those people have wound balls!

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

If I could afford it, I would be a "new ball snob". But, I can't, so if it's round, I'll play it.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

i always use a new ball - just not on holes 1,9 and 18 of my course - i generally lose a ball on at least one of the 3

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have never bought a new ball in my life but i won a sleeve of the new pro v 1s at dave and busters and i am going to save them for a tournament

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

As long as it is a "players" ball I could care less the condition, within reason.

Live on a Par 3 with a swamp hazard, good course, mostly find Prov1 and Prov1x mostly, also Callaway HX Tour, Nike 1, Bridgestone 330S etc,,.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

on practice rounds ill grab a used one but on a tournament round ill use a new one.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I play with any Prov1 that is still round and as long as 80% of the ball is not scratched up!

I am cheap with golf balls. If I am playing in a tournament or a very nice golf course, I'll play a new Prov1.

I did get the best deal out there just before Xmas. I was able to buy a box of Prov1 for $32.23 including tax, so I bought six boxes.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I like to start with a new ball.

If i'm playing well, I'll keep playing with that same ball, until it gets cut up.

If i'm playing badly, i will change balls (with the hope of changing my bad luck, haha)
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I'm a semi-snob.

I like a new ball off the first tee and anytime that I am playing well. Once the dream is over, I can pull out an experienced ball. Rarely do I replace the first ball unless I lose it or it hits a path or tree and gets major scuff marks.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

IMO, as long as a ball is still playable, I see no reason not to carry on playing with it, Doesnt playing new balls in every competition begin to get expensive, and become an unnecessary cost?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I think you need to play the same ball all the time. The distance and spin are different on every one. That being said. I start every round with a new sleeve of Nike platinum and "usually" only use one or two of them. If I go through the sleeve I then go to the left overs in my bag. By the time I've lost 3 the round is shot and what difference does it make. Where's the cart girl and give me a beer.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

i put semi. i always start with a new ball. the golf team gets free nxts, which i keep and use in the summer. my dad buys me bridgestones for my birthday and stuff, so i always have surplus of new balls. but if i find something like a noodle or top flight, o f course i'll use it!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

It really depends on the course for me. If I know I am going to lose 4 or 5 balls during the round I won't throw away $20 worth of balls.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

Note: This thread is 5947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!