IGNORED

Are you a 'new' ball snob?

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a new ball snob?

• Ball Snob - Must have a new ball at all times.
    • Semi Snob - Must start with a new ball.
    • Non Snob - As long as it looks round, I'll use it.

I have to use a new ball at the beginning of every round. It's just the way I am. If I dump one in the water I may search my bag for a slightly used one. Never off the first tee though...it's gotta be glistening. I usually won't take a ball out of play unless it is severly damaged or I'm playing like crap (of course it's the ball's fault).

I'm just wondering if there is anyone more picky than me? Is there anyone that can't even think about putting a 'used' ball into play or replaces their ball every few holes (i.e. Tour pros)?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is George, and I'm a ball snob. You're not alone. I hate playing old golf balls. In fact, if I find a new brand of ball that I like more than what I'm currently playing. It's an act of will to use up whatever is left in the dozen. Old balls usually find their way into the shag bag or the range at the course I play most ( someone has to replace those rocks they have). And I generally play top end balls (except for winter), so if I start missing fairways it can get expensive.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Definitely need to use a new ball on the first tee. Depending on how Im playing dictates if I keep grabbing new ones out or not. If I dont lose the ball the entire round then that ball plays 18 holes with me. I dont switch balls just to switch them. Although I always play the same brand ball througout the round whether old or new.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

i usaly cant find enough of the ones i hit to use them again

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

Not at all. The old ones are as good as new when cleaned off.

I'm a Pro V1 guy, but got a box of Nike Platinum One's the other day. They seem to be on a par with the Pro V1, very good ball. Good distance, good feel around the greens. I also tried the Taylormade reds and blacks, they seem like good balls, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. More playing time needed, I think.
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

As long as they are relatively new, of a good brand and I don't think they've been sitting at the bottom of a pond for months, I have no problem with used balls.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

I'll use a new ball for tournament rounds or any round involving money. If I'm testing equipment, working on shot or comparing clubs then I'll use a new ball as well. Otherwise I'll use whatever is in my bag or I find for a practice round.

Yes I'm guilty,I use and buy new balls all year round.In fact my shag bag is better than most people's golf bag.I work hard for my money and I deserve the best.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I usually start with one sleeve of new balls to start every round. If things go really wrong and I lose all of them then I'll switch to whatever's in the bag. But unless the first ball gets damaged or badly scuffed I'll stick with it - this weekend I started and finished with the same ball on Saturday and Sunday, I'm always sort of proud of the one-ball rounds.

Now, if I'm just playing to practice, I don't really care what I tee up. But it's got to be a new ball at the start of every competitive round.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Well, I'm surprised how many people actually buy $4 eggs on this site. It probably costs about 25 cents to make this balls and get them to the pro shop. The other 3.25 is paying for Ernies Els new car... :)

• Administrator
Well, I'm surprised how many people actually buy $4 eggs on this site. It probably costs about 25 cents to make this balls and get them to the pro shop. The other 3.25 is paying for Ernies Els new car... :)

No offense intended, but that's a pretty dumb statement. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you put a smiley at the end, but let's just say you're way off and leave it at that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If the ball has a ovibious scuff mark or a gash in it then I will replace it.
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

I am definitely not a ball snob...although I fear in the future once I have a job I might become one. Being a student $$$ is at a premium. Every year in August at the end of the golfing season my friends and I go to a local course and go swimming in some ponds and go home with like 200 golf balls each. I don't use one's that are super old but those will last for a whole new golf season.

My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

I voted "non-snob", but there is one exception - competition. If I'm playing in a serious event ( local golf association Amateur or Pub Links or club championship ) - I not only start with new ball, I change them as soon as slightest scuff marks shows up Of course it has to be the best ball, none of the super-saver purchase off eBay, TM Black is it now - even if I have to pay 40+ for a dozen.
It's different in day to day game - I play it until I lose it

No offense intended, but that's a pretty dumb statement. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you put a smiley at the end, but let's just say you're way off and leave it at that.

I was joking... sorry for the mix up.

• 11 months later...
i voted for semi snob. I start every round with a new ball. unless it gets really scuffed or hits a cart path or something, I'll play the same ball for 18 holes.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!