IGNORED

Where do you cheap out

Note: This thread is 5464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. WHERE DO YOU CHEAP OUT?

• GLOVES
    • TEES
    • BALLS
    • PUTTER
    • IRONS
    • WOODS
    • CLOTHES
    • SHOES
    • MARKERS AND DIVOT TOOLS
    • BAG
    • FOOD
    • OTHER

What one area of equipment do you cheap out on. I am cheap about gloves, as long as it is a ML Cadet and has at least partial leather I am happy. I end up playing various brands usually bought on sale or clearance. I sweat a lot and I am to lazy to wash them so I rot them fast when the weather heats up. Otherwise I could probably play year round on two or three gloves, so it really isn't a cost issue. What area does your cheap side show up in?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Balls: Buy em used... have 4 dozen Pro V1x's coming in tomorrow from lostgolfballs.com and only spent $47

Clothes: Kohls, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.

Gloves: the 2 for $15 callaway glove special at walmart... thats all I buy.

I buy used clubs but I dont really consider that cheaping out... used clubs are still expensive.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

For me it's the clothes. I hit the sales rack at Kohl's, ROSS, TJ MAXX, Marshall's or where ever else I can get Golf Polo's for cheap.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Greens Fees- I work at a country club
Balls- my gf's grandpa has like 1000 and they get plastic bags full, I use those or the ones I find or recycled ones, 10$ for 15 hx tours is awsome
Tees/Markers- Free at the country club I work at
Cart- I get free cart at the CC.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

I really 'cheap out' on gloves too, primarily playing gloves that were closeouts the last 2-3 years. I will only play all leather gloves, though, so when I find them on sale cheap I buy a bunch. I bought a bunch MaxFli all leather gloves last year on closeout after Dick's Sporting Goods bought MaxFli. These gloves were from when they were still with Adidas-TaylorMade brand. I think I paid $4 each for them. I have enough of them that I probably won't need to buy new gloves for at least this year.

Tees is the other place I save on. I have not bought tees in years. I pick them up off tee boxes because so many people don't pick them up. I also always grab a handful when I play someplace that gives them away for free.

I bought my irons used over the winter and several of my other clubs are used - about half used/half new. I buy used at Golf Galaxy because that way I can try them out and if I don't like them I can return for full credit - places won't let you do that with new. This gives me a 30 day 'trial period'.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I vote "All of the Above"

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Gloves and tees definitely. With tees, I tend to only use the ones I buy when using driver (6 or so times a round). Otherwise, I look for a broken tee and use that for my tee shots with irons or woods (or even make a fluffy lie like Woody Austin or Henrik Stenson).

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I really don't consider getting a bargain on quality stuff to be being cheap, but there is a fine point there. Obviously hawking tees and balls (excesively so, as in holding up play just so you can look around, rather than looking while you wait to hit) is being cheap, but it can be frugal too. The area where I save the most, and could easily be considered cheap, is in the course I regularly play. I can't justify paying much for a round of golf. So that pretty much leaves me playing the local muni. Greens fees are a huge part of the expense in playing golf. $60 or more for a round is totally unacceptable to me. I'll do it once in a blue moon, but paying that much (or more) on a regular basis adds up fast if you want to play once or twice a week. While paying to play a nice course is fun and enjoyable (especially when compared to a course that isn't all that nice) it leaves you very little to show for it.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Technically I cheap out on a lot. I only play at courses with discount green fees that I can book online. I only use tees that I find on the tee boxes. I only buy recycled balls, used clubs. Overall I spend a lot of time researching so that I can find good stuff at cheap prices. If I can't find good quality stuff at discount prices then I don't buy.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

Tees-I spend $6 in the spring on a package of Epoch tees, and use that all year long. My current tee has lasted me 8 rounds.

Gloves-I love that Callaway two pack-the price is right, and I actually like the gloves.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

I checked balls ... the day a golf ball makes a huge difference in my game, I'll be amazed. I buy the "2 dozen on sale" ball packs from Dick's or Golf Galaxy or TGW. I can lose a $1.00 golf ball as quickly as I can an $8.00 golf ball! Next cheapie for me would be gloves. I'll buy what's on sale, when there's more than 1 in a package!!! Just so they fit, is all.

But see my other post on another thread about using golf gloves and you'll see why I now have 48 gloves!! HAHAHAHA
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

For me it is the food. I try and eat before I play and will sometimes take a couple of snacks with me. I will always bring a water bottle to fill up when I am on the course. I try not to buy anything at the course. Occasionally, I will get a candy bar late in the round but that is it.

Tees might be close second though. I don't think I have bought a tee in over 10 years. I will pick up the good ones I see on the tee box. Some courses have a basket near the starter or a few in the cart. I will grab some for the round and put the rest in my bag for later use. I hardly ever break any using a driver and for every other club I use a broken one.

The rest of the stuff listed I might be thrifty and look for a good buy, but I tend not to just go after the 'cheaper' stuff.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

For me its clothes (I buy $20 polos and $35 khakis) and food (I never eat at the clubhouse before or after my round. If Im that hungry, I will swing by a fast food place on the way home).
I used to go cheap on golfballs, but I like having the spin that you get with premium balls.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I really dont cheap out on anything (my monthly statement from the club can attest to that.)

I guess the only thing that comes close is the free tees we get from the club - you just cant break these things no matter how bad your swing is.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could have picked clothes but I went with markers & divot tools. I stick to whatever is on my glove to mark the ball with and use a tee as a divot tool. I don't buy "golf" clothes, I just wear a polo that I already own.

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

Note: This thread is 5464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!