IGNORED

Can a driver head go dead over time?

laxbballgolf
Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 5 years later...

I have been wondering this lately myself. The last 3 times out, my driver distance has been absolutely horrid and contact feels decent. I hit one on the screws yesterday and got it out to all of 215. I was able to hit 3W way past it and even 4 iron at least to that distance.

Driver: Taylormade R15 10.5 Rogue Silver 70S  3 Wood: Krank Formula 6 Aldila Tour Blue 80S  3H: Mizuno Jpx825  Irons: 4-PW,AW: Taylormade Rsi1  Wedge: Callaway 56 MD3 Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy

19 minutes ago, StevenR84 said:

I have been wondering this lately myself. The last 3 times out, my driver distance has been absolutely horrid and contact feels decent. I hit one on the screws yesterday and got it out to all of 215. I was able to hit 3W way past it and even 4 iron at least to that distance.

I don't know about your specific situation, but a cracked face would not feel like "decent contact". It would make a buzzing kind of sound and feel really dead.

You could try using some foot spray to determine where on the face you are hitting?

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont actually know.

Maybe similar though....in slopitch you definitely know when a bat has "died". Not sure how similar the metal composition is of a driver and slopitch bat.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/25/2009 at 1:40 AM, laxbballgolf said:

Is it possible for a driver head to "go dead" after a certain amount of normal use?

I have been using the same G5 driver head for about 3 years and it has gotten a good amount of use. Just today, the thought crept into my head that maybe the driver head is a little bit "dead" or off by now.

I think (I hope) I was just hitting the driver poorly today, but the sound and feeling was consistently "clank" more so than it has ever been before. Even when I came close to the sweet spot, the sound and feel just wasn't the same great sensation I used to enjoy. There wasn't much noticeable change in distance, but the ball flight seemed a little weaker, as well. I know it's not a problem with the shaft because it has been replaced fairly recently and has been working out extremely well.

Again, I hope I was just hitting it poorly, and it could just be my imagination. I am going to head to the range soon to check it out more, but I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys.

Does a driver head ever simply wear out over time?

I didn't read all the responses so maybe someone has already given this answer.  But a few years ago  had a similar experience of the driver suddenly feeling and sounding different.  I finally found a crack in the weld where the driver face was welded to the driver head.  Needed a magnifying glass to see it.  But it certainly changed the driver performance and feel.

Butch

Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!