IGNORED

Trackman, Is that really accurate?

glllambo
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if your enamored of these things you had better get a brand new ball and measure it otherwise its self defeating. If your tested on dud house balls forget about it. I have seen a kid in sandals of medium size with a weekenders swing record a 335 yard shot on Foresight at Golfsmith. Sorry, no way he hits it that far on the range, no way Jose. It might have been a 275 yard shot at best. I saw a while back a top level kid 6'6", 26 years old, terrifically fast swing, playing competition golf for many years record a 125mph swing on Foresight. The swing was considerably faster than that imo probably much closer to 138-40.  I think our love of gadgets and data can sometimes get in the way. We want control. We fear not being in control. To accurately measure distannce and launch and ball spin and accuracy all I need is two eyes and the range and some decent range balls within 5-10% of max flight. And these devices make a lot of money for the stores, draw in customers and create an unnecessary hierarchy between techies and players.

if your enamored of these things you had better get a brand new ball and measure it otherwise its self defeating. If your tested on dud house balls forget about it. I have seen a kid in sandals of medium size with a weekenders swing record a 335 yard shot on Foresight at Golfsmith. Sorry, no way he hits it that far on the range, no way Jose. It might have been a 275 yard shot at best. I saw a while back a top level kid 6'6", 26 years old, terrifically fast swing, playing competition golf for many years record a 125mph swing on Foresight. The swing was considerably faster than that imo probably much closer to 138-40.  I think our love of gadgets and data can sometimes get in the way. We want control. We fear not being in control. To accurately measure distannce and launch and ball spin and accuracy all I need is two eyes and the range and some decent range balls within 5-10% of max flight. And these devices make a lot of money for the stores, draw in customers and create an unnecessary hierarchy between techies and players.

no Way anyone could hit it 335 wearing sandals of medium size ;) Wouldn't beat up balls likely underestimate distance? I am going to try to hit balls on a track man this weekend and thought about whether I should hit my own balls. The difference probably isn't very much, though.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

no Way anyone could hit it 335 wearing sandals of medium size ;)

Wouldn't beat up balls likely underestimate distance? I am going to try to hit balls on a track man this weekend and thought about whether I should hit my own balls. The difference probably isn't very much, though.

You can "normalize" ball flight too, even if you're hitting limited distance balls. TrackMan and FlightScopes will report the "regular ball distance" then.

I don't think TM/FS are less accurate than someone's eyes… @buddhabob . I can't speak for the ForeSight. It's a camera based system that relies on (I think) proper placement of stickers, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[quote name="buddhabob" url="/t/24508/trackman-is-that-really-accurate/30#post_964940"]if your enamored of these things you had better get a brand new ball and measure it otherwise its self defeating. If your tested on dud house balls forget about it. I have seen a kid in sandals of medium size with a weekenders swing record a 335 yard shot on Foresight at Golfsmith. Sorry, no way he hits it that far on the range, no way Jose. It might have been a 275 yard shot at best. I saw a while back a top level kid 6'6", 26 years old, terrifically fast swing, playing competition golf for many years record a 125mph swing on Foresight. The swing was considerably faster than that imo probably much closer to 138-40.  I think our love of gadgets and data can sometimes get in the way. We want control. We fear not being in control. To accurately measure distannce and launch and ball spin and accuracy all I need is two eyes and the range and some decent range balls within 5-10% of max flight. And these devices make a lot of money for the stores, draw in customers and create an unnecessary hierarchy between techies and players.

no Way anyone could hit it 335 wearing sandals of medium size ;) Wouldn't beat up balls likely underestimate distance? I am going to try to hit balls on a track man this weekend and thought about whether I should hit my own balls. The difference probably isn't very much, though.[/quote] What if the sandals were large? Or medium large?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

[quote name="dsc123" url="/t/24508/trackman-is-that-really-accurate/30#post_964951"][quote name="buddhabob" url="/t/24508/trackman-is-that-really-accurate/30#post_964940"]if your enamored of these things you had better get a brand new ball and measure it otherwise its self defeating. If your tested on dud house balls forget about it. I have seen a kid in sandals of medium size with a weekenders swing record a 335 yard shot on Foresight at Golfsmith. Sorry, no way he hits it that far on the range, no way Jose. It might have been a 275 yard shot at best. I saw a while back a top level kid 6'6", 26 years old, terrifically fast swing, playing competition golf for many years record a 125mph swing on Foresight. The swing was considerably faster than that imo probably much closer to 138-40.  I think our love of gadgets and data can sometimes get in the way. We want control. We fear not being in control. To accurately measure distannce and launch and ball spin and accuracy all I need is two eyes and the range and some decent range balls within 5-10% of max flight. And these devices make a lot of money for the stores, draw in customers and create an unnecessary hierarchy between techies and players.

no Way anyone could hit it 335 wearing sandals of medium size ;) Wouldn't beat up balls likely underestimate distance? I am going to try to hit balls on a track man this weekend and thought about whether I should hit my own balls. The difference probably isn't very much, though.[/quote] What if the sandals were large? Or medium large?[/quote] I know my river sandals would be fine for golf. They have Vibram soles. In fact, that gives me an idea. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You can "normalize" ball flight too, even if you're hitting limited distance balls. TrackMan and FlightScopes will report the "regular ball distance" then.

I don't think TM/FS are less accurate than someone's eyes… @buddhabob. I can't speak for the ForeSight. It's a camera based system that relies on (I think) proper placement of stickers, etc.

Good to know, thanks.  I'll see if I can do that.

After getting new clubs last year and making a lot of changes to my swing, I am not as confident in my distances as I would like to be.  So I hope to hit something like 10 balls with every club, maybe even full swing, 3/4, 1/2, etc., and walk out knowing my distances.

The place near me is some sort of fitness/lessons/indoor practice facility.  They've got 2 track mans, a bunch of hitting bays equipped with cameras, a big putting green and bunkers.  They charge $50 for a one day pass.  Too much to use on a weekly basis, but ok to try every now and then.  I think their bread and butter is memberships that include instruction, fitness, and practice.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've never actually gotten an accurate distance of how far each one of my clubs are hitting, I'm using Trackman today to figure it out. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Based on this thread I'd say it will be very accurate. Any suggestions? Like say...take the average of 10 shots. Or take the average of the shots that felt the best?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Since I've never actually gotten an accurate distance of how far each one of my clubs are hitting, I'm using Trackman today to figure it out. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Based on this thread I'd say it will be very accurate. Any suggestions? Like say...take the average of 10 shots. Or take the average of the shots that felt the best?

That's what I do, I think its worthwhile.  I delete the crappy shots.  If I hit a club 150 yards on the nose 9 times and 30 yards 1 time, I wouldn't consider that my 138 club.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

That's what I do, I think its worthwhile.

Should I bring my own golf balls? I'm primarily using the same all year.

Joel Holden

I probably wouldn't, but you can.  Like iacas said above, trackman can normalize the flight.  And I doubt it makes a big difference.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I probably wouldn't, but you can.  Like iacas said above, trackman can normalize the flight.  And I doubt it makes a big difference.

Sounds good, thanks!

Joel Holden

Okay, I've found some sandals with replaceable spikes at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Might need to get them for my next set of golf shoes.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...

also Trackman measures clubhead speed off the heel of the driver. For many clubheads this will underestimate the speed of the actual swing,me Calloways being the exception. Also Trackman cannot measure how much your clubhead decelerates after contact with the ball. Average deceleration is nearly 20% for an average golfer. Long drivers effort to reduce deceleration down to 5% or so using leverage, strength training and angle of attack. There are many other factors besides swing speed that determin ball speed and distance.

• Administrator

also Trackman measures clubhead speed off the heel of the driver.

I don't believe that's accurate. It sees the driver as a "blob" and measures in the middle of the "blob."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I recently attended a seminar, one of the speakers was the inventor of a very popular tour ball, one that we have all played. I will paraphrase what he said "take a Prov1, a noodle, any bridgestone etc, even a 5 year old  pinnacle that has been in a hazard for a couple of months, have them hit by machine ( driver)  and they all go roughly the same distance +/- 3 yards.  The difference from a high Spin ball and a low spin ball off the face of driver is insignificant <2%

8 iron on down is a different story and a subject for a different thread.

Leave your balls home and embrace trackman, flightscope's data.

Average deceleration is nearly 20% for an average golfer. Long drivers effort to reduce deceleration down to 5% or so using leverage, strength training and angle of attack. There are many other factors besides swing speed that determin ball speed and distance.

Why do you think deceleration at the impact, due to hitting the ball, is a bad thing? Where do you think the momentum needed to get ball moving comes from if not from the change in clubhead's momentum?

• 3 weeks later...

its commonsense that the stronger and faster the speed thru impact and well into follow thru the farther the ball will fly. Too many examples to give for this one. Mike Dunaway one of the great original long drivers harps on actually accelerating after the ball is hit. I don't know if this is possible but he claims it is a prime reason for his exceptional power and distance. He could regularly hit 375 with persimmon woods and balata balls.

its commonsense that the stronger and faster the speed thru impact and well into follow thru the farther the ball will fly. Too many examples to give for this one. Mike Dunaway one of the great original long drivers harps on actually accelerating after the ball is hit. I don't know if this is possible but he claims it is a prime reason for his exceptional power and distance. He could regularly hit 375 with persimmon woods and balata balls.

Of course faster = farther. But still the club head speed will decelerate at the hit. As long as the ball mass > 0 it will happen.

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!