IGNORED

Pitch mark maintainance

iWALK18
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I just use this ... works great

No it doesn't. Cameron's repair tool is one of the worst out there. Not only is it really thick, it encourages popping up the ball marks. I'd bet $1000 you don't repair ball marks properly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No it doesn't. Cameron's repair tool is one of the worst out there. Not only is it really thick, it encourages popping up the ball marks. I'd bet $1000 you don't repair ball marks properly.

Looks like you beat me to the punch, iacas! It's that rocker on the bottom that's the dead giveaway.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I haven't found a single tool with slender enough prongs. Because of this, I've grinded off some on the prongs of a Taylormade tool. The metal is pretty solid, so it doesn't break, but the prongs are really thin compared to most tools and tees.

I've got the Scotty tool too, too thick prongs, not a good one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It looks like it could work, other than the thickness of the prongs, but it's a bit hard to tell the scale of it. The little bend looks to me lke it could help push rather than pry, but only if you insert it in the ground upside down relative to that photo (i.e., so the bend points down when the handle is level). But it looks like a pair of shovels rather than a narrow sharp blade to me.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The little bend looks to me lke it could help push rather than pry, but only if you insert it in the ground upside down relative to that photo

Hmmm...now that's a thought. Maybe it was designed that way and people just use it wrong! Hmmm...nah...the prongs will be pulling AWAY from the crater at the bottom. Not good.

I'd also like to comment on the "depth limiting" designs. These are entirely useless around here when it's wet. The ball marks are really deep. You could do better with a long tee, pretty sure. No doubt a great idea for Arizona, but not so great in Central NY in the spring.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

I'm not sure what you mean by "pulling away". This is what I'm picturing.

The depth might be an issue, but I don't usually find terribly deep pitch marks.

In the bag:

What are your thoughts about these:
http://www.sportcover.com/catalog200..._DT_page56.pdf

If they are as good as they claim, does anyone know where to get them?

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

• Administrator
What are your thoughts about these:

I tried searching for "greenfix ball mark repair tool" because that's what they were called, and some former PGA guy was selling them I think, but they seem to have gone away or something... or he doesn't have a site of his own anymore or something. Good luck and let us know if you can find them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tried searching for "greenfix ball mark repair tool" because that's what they were called, and some former PGA guy was selling them I think, but they seem to have gone away or something... or he doesn't have a site of his own anymore or something.

So they are a good and proper tool then?

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

I'll take that bet and raise you another $1000, it's all in how you use it and most people don't know how

Insert the tool at the edge of the pitch mark, not within the depression itself, push the tool forward from the edge of the pitch mark toward the center, do this around the edges of the indentation, tamp down the repaired area with your putter so that the surface is flat and even, and you are done wrong way and most common mistake, inserting the tool under the indented area and push up, that's a no, no and you'll get a from the grounds keepers PM me to transfer the $$$ into my account, thanks hehe

I just so happened to run across this last night in Wal-Mart of all places. This tool should work perfect I would think.

In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

Poor picture quality, but it looks like the prongs are too thick.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yeah, it's hard to tell. Can you measure the thickness of the prongs or post a picture with, say, a quarter edge-on for reference? I definitely like the look of it, though it wouldn't fit in a pocket as well as the typical flat one.

In the bag:

I went to a golf expo/super sale this past weekend. It was mostly a bunch of junk, but I picked up two of these for 60 cents. Does a great job and you cannot even tell the area used to be a pitch mark after it works its magic. I'm not proud to say I was using a tee, but this is much better. Thanks to the starter of this thread. The golfers behind me thank you as well. :)

It looks like it could work, other than the thickness of the prongs, but it's a bit hard to tell the scale of it. The little bend looks to me lke it could help push rather than pry, but only if you insert it in the ground upside down relative to that photo (i.e., so the bend points down when the handle is level). But it looks like a pair of shovels rather than a narrow sharp blade to me.

Yeah, those Scotty ones look like the prongs should point down - like the nub with the red jewel on it is for pressing your thumb against.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I went to a golf expo/super sale this past weekend. It was mostly a bunch of junk, but I picked up two of these for 60 cents.

Can't quite read the writing. What is it? I could see ordering a few hundred for the course I play at! (They need all the help they can get!)

Can't quite read the writing. What is it? I could see ordering a few hundred for the course I play at! (They need all the help they can get!)

It's a cast, metal el cheapo. It says "Nevada Bob's" with a cowboy looking dude holding a golf bag and a tennis racket. I suspect it was a free give away, or promotional item at Nevada Bob's. In hindsight I should've bought them all and donated them to my club!

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!