IGNORED

How many clubs do you use to chip with?

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only use the 52 degree wedge. It sets up best for me, if I want it to run a little I will deloft, if I hit down and pinch the ball I can get the hop, skip and stop.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hot potato in golf what to chip with.One club v lots.I have made up my own mind,I like the idea of one swing and I also like the idea of one club,so I found a compromise between the two.
I practiced and idea found on golf channel of short firm short for chipping.I have a putting grip,a small pivot in my knees like utley,then I used that one stroke to take out the guesswork.Basically I go back to my back knee then through past the front knee to ensure a crisp contact.
My goal was to use as least clubs as possible.I found I could hit with a 52,56,60 around the green.If I'm further out it's a pitch or it's an enormous green.
The key to this was that I have a brisk tempo and duffing chips is a thing of the past

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I tend to use my 54* wedge for most shots. For pitch and run type shots I will play a 60* lob. For bump and runs a 7 or 8i.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Care to share these golden ratios?

It's different for different green conditions really. If the pin is tight in and I need it to fly further than it rolls, it's sand wedge all the way. Pitching wedge for 50/50

usually . If they're rolling fast I'll use SW for a 50/50 shot and that's my favorite because it usually means I can read it a lot better with a slower roll. If the pin is far off, and it's double the roll or longer I'll use a 9i. It's all negotiable though based on conditions and especially on lie; that's what I'm trying to wrap my brain around right now.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I used to believe in just using my lob wedge. (I mean like 2 weeks ago) But my handicap is going up and I am not really good at the stock chips or pitches. I have changed my tune. I worked on the practice greens using my P, SW, and lob wedges. I am going to start and have started hitting my chips and pitches with different clubs. I believe the easier non short sided ones I can get closer chipping with my PW rather than my lob wedge. It just takes a much smaller more controlled motion and less guess than trying to deloft a lob wedge so much. I am sick of making bogeys on easy up and downs.

Brian

I've never used my driver to chip with. Have used every other club in the bag and will continue to do so based on what the shot calls for.
In the Bag:
TaylorMade R11TP Driver
TaylorMade R11TP 3 wood (15.5)
Mizuno MP 63 3-PW
Vokey 52Vokey 56TAD MOORE Pro1P

I am sick of making bogeys on easy up and downs.

THIS...My handicap would look like yours if I didn't have this problem.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

use the 60* for greenside unless in heavy rough then the 54*...a pitch n run usually my 8 or 2h depending on slope of green, speed, etc.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I used to believe in just using my lob wedge. (I mean like 2 weeks ago) But my handicap is going up and I am not really good at the stock chips or pitches. I have changed my tune. I worked on the practice greens using my P, SW, and lob wedges. I am going to start and have started hitting my chips and pitches with different clubs. I believe the easier non short sided ones I can get closer chipping with my PW rather than my lob wedge. It just takes a much smaller more controlled motion and less guess than trying to deloft a lob wedge so much. I am sick of making bogeys on easy up and downs.

You can of course get up and down with a variety of clubs. The thing is to find out what works for you and what you feel confident using.

You don't have to deloft a lob wedge that much, but a 56/58 degree wedge may be better. The thing is to know what kind of shot you are making and how to make it. A chip shot where you pivot, use the lower body for power and strike the ball first is very easy if you know how the ball will respond. It's about feel and being confident with the clubs. If you can use 3-4 different clubs from the same distance and reach the same target, that's great, if you can do it under pressure, even better. No matter what club you use, technique and set-up is the most important part. With a consistent set-up you can practice and get the feel with any club, but it takes more time than with only one. My short game has become very good lately after working on it. I feel a lot more confident and know exactly how to set up for every kind of shot. It even helped me get the feel of some things I do wrong in my full swing and correct them. It really takes the pressure of finding the green all the time off by knowing you can get up and down.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never used my driver to chip with. Have used every other club in the bag and will continue to do so based on what the shot calls for.

I love the driver chip, its a good shot to pull out from time to time. You should give it a try in a practice round sometime.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Depends on the situation. Anything from 5I to SW. Last night in my league match I was about five feet off the green on a par-5, lying three in the fringe, with the hole about 20 feet on the green. On a dry day I would ordinarily putt the ball without thinking about it, but with the dampness of the ground, thought better of it. So I took a five iron just to get it over the fringe then roll like a putt. Worked like a charm, hit it to three feet and sank the par putt.

I will use anything in my bag. I have putted out of sand traps and chipped with a 2iron all the way down. Whatever gets the ball rolling quickest is what I use. The ball is much more predictable when it is rolling. You guys that use one club are really cheating yourself out of easier ways to score.
Driver: FT-3 Fusion w/ YS-Power X-flex
3-wood: McHenry Metals 12 degree with UST comp X
2 iron: MP Hi-Fli 18 degree
Irons: MP-60 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52,58 degreePutter: Red X 35X3Ball: ONE Platinum

I chip with the club that will produce the right shot - sorry if that sounds a little too easy.

When I practice, I do 2 things:
1. chip with the same club from the same spot to different targets
2. chip with different clubs from the same spot to the same target.

My coach tells me that the setup positions determine the shot flight, so after I have setup to make sure I am ready to hit the shot, I try to get the feel of how I'm going to do make the swing. Hitting an 8 iron to a short sided pin is all about feel and how you think the ball will go through and bounce off the grass.

He just sent me this video, which helps me with my setup plan.

I hope this helps.

When I play golf, I focus on my setup, then get the feel right. This is my only focus for the summer and my scores are dropping each week.

I will use anything in my bag. I have putted out of sand traps and chipped with a 2iron all the way down. Whatever gets the ball rolling quickest is what I use. The ball is much more predictable when it is rolling. You guys that use one club are really cheating yourself out of easier ways to score.

Whatever works, works. You have one way, I have another. Neither is more correct than the other and both can be used with equal results.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you would find that if you practiced the shots we speak of, you would feel differently. Alot of golf is choosing your highest percentage shot and to a pin on the upper tier with 60 feet of green in front of you the highest percentage shot to get it close to the hole is a bump 8 iron or something of the likes.

Im not saying your way is wrong, its just not the highest percentage shot for every situation.
Driver: FT-3 Fusion w/ YS-Power X-flex
3-wood: McHenry Metals 12 degree with UST comp X
2 iron: MP Hi-Fli 18 degree
Irons: MP-60 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52,58 degreePutter: Red X 35X3Ball: ONE Platinum

I think you would find that if you practiced the shots we speak of, you would feel differently. Alot of golf is choosing your highest percentage shot and to a pin on the upper tier with 60 feet of green in front of you the highest percentage shot to get it close to the hole is a bump 8 iron or something of the likes.

All the books say to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. It is usually the case but not always. For me, in the above situation, if I have 10 feet after the ridge and I wasn't going directly up it, I will pitch it to the top with spin. (I actually had this exact shot last saturday). The angle was wierd and it was so hard to judge so I thought I had a better chance opening the 64 land it up on top and spin it close. Pulled it off, had 5 feet for par and made it.

To have a great short game you have to have all the shots.

Brian

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!