IGNORED

How many clubs do you use to chip with?

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

56* w/ 12* bounce is for most short game shots, especially rough. 60* w/ 6* bounce is for finesse shots, pitching from fairways, flops, sand shots. Will pull out a 7 or 8 once in a while when I'm up against the cut on the green

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chip almost always with my wedges, but after reading an article about chipping with a hybrid so I tried it, ive got to say it works very well.

But I've chiped with 7, 8, 9, pw it just depends on how i want to hit the ball and wheres the ball is at.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

my buddy that is a 3 handicap golfer only uses a lob wedge in the back of his stance and he always is around the hole on every chip.

you can learn to play difference distances with ball position and by closing or opening the club face and of cours is hands are always in front of the club with a forward press.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I'll use my 50, 56, or 60. I don't like to manipulate the loft too much (except for flops), so I usually just do a standard chip with the lowest of these clubs that flies the green comfortably. If it's really close to the green, I'll also do the occasionally hybrid chip/putt through the fringe or fairway.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Usually the 56*,
Sometimes 60* from the rough,
Occasionally 7i or pw from the fringe.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

4H for situations where it is basically a long putt and dry, firm fairway (no obstacles between ball and hole) Tend to use this when faced with uphill situations.

9i for uphill, long chips and moisture or sprinkler head in my line.

56* for all others (use it for 90% of all chips)

I use my 52* gap wedge for 15-30 yard bunker shots.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I use 5. 8-iron- 9-iron, pitching wedge, 52* wedge and 60* wedge. Different shots require a different club.

I agree-more options also means more ways to hit it close. Depending on the lie, distance, angle of the green, pin location, grass type, etc., I may chip with anything from a 7I - 60* LW (yesterday I nearly knocked one in with a 16* hybrid). Granted, I do feel you should be

really comfortable with one or two clubs, and most my chip shots are with my 47* PW or 52* GW. But I practice with the others for those times when the PW or GW just don't feel like the best option.

I agree with that. I tried doing 56 only, but it would never release once it hit the green. After burning myself with this phenomenon repeatedly I realized that I really like to keep it on the ground as much as possible and make it roll. I was having to fly my chip all the way to the hole which wasn't working for me. So I learned a basic ratio of flight to roll distance for my wedges and long irons and modify that based on slope and line. I now basically use 8, 9, P, and S (no gap wedge in my bag). Not really many 7i situations where I wouldn't just pitch.

The cool thing about using different clubs is that I really only need one swing. I just switched to this and I'm already starting to see dividends in confidence. I think my scores are going to start seeing a big payoff soon.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

depends on how far I need to carry vs how far I need it to roll. Also depends on if I'm going over a hazard. usually anything between 7iron and 60degree wedge

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

As a kid, I used my 9 iron for virtually every non bunker shot inside 125 yards. My current pitching wedge has the same loft and I'm getting closer to using it in most short game situations. The simple 50 foot chip, the 75 yard bump and run, the loft over a bunker to the green, long bunker shots, it's working consistantly for all of them. I still use the 5 or 7 irons rarely for the putt-chip from fringes, the 3 wood for the old bump up the hill with short grass and the sand wedge for short bunker shots.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Chip just my PW. I'll shut it down and release to get some run. For pitches I will use the PW, SW or 60 degree based on what I am trying to do with the shot.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I use 5. 8-iron- 9-iron, pitching wedge, 52* wedge and 60* wedge. Different shots require a different club.

That makes no sense. You can't hit a 9i as far as a 3i. That's why you got so many different irons. With a wedge, you can hit anything from 70 yards to 1 yard, depending on the loft of the wedge and how good you play it.

There is no shot within 70 yards that you can't pull off with using only one club and getting it close to the hole. With the irons, you hit a full swing and know the distance. On the short game you need feel. I prefer only learning to get the feel with one club, rather than half of my bag.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mainly PW (47 Degrees) but also 52 and 58

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

So I learned a basic ratio of flight to roll distance for my wedges and long irons and modify that based on slope and line.

Care to share these golden ratios?

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

I just use the dedicated sand (54/56) and lob (58/60) wedges in my two sets. With the right wedges and balls you can throw it at the flag and get the ball to check. I know the advice given to high handicappers is different ("get the ball rolling ASAP"), but this works for me (and many pros).

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!