IGNORED

I'm a Phil convert

Shorty
Note: This thread is 5439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How about some of the time? What about not being a condescending doosh every time someone asks him a question? The fact that he is the most recognizable athlete in the world is even more reason for him to try and "be nice".

How about some of the time? What about not being a condescending doosh every time someone asks him a question? The fact that he is the most recognizable athlete in the world is even more reason for him to try and "be nice".

I'm not saying he is the friendlist guy on tour and couldn't be any more friendly to the media/fans. He is certainly cold at times for sure. But that kind of goes with his personality and who he is. 'Cool, calm, collected' type while Phil just seems like 'Ah, F-it, I'll just go for it and whatever happens happens I'm just happy to be out here.'

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I've never been a Mickelson fan. However, this week, I watched him sign about 2,000 autographs during the Wednesday practice round and just have a great time with the fans all week. He really knows how to connect with people as long as there is a rope separating them.

And you know this how?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

all this talk about what he is like in the locker room is BS imho, I mean do we really know what Co-Workers (that we've worked with for years) are like outside of work?...

stop judging the man by standards that you know nothing about on a personal level... this is starting to turn into a Pet Peeve thread that is in another topic

I don't have an ounce of first hand knowledge, but this is my take on Phil and the clubhouse issue (just reading and absorbing some info on Phil and this issue):

I think Phil is a bit of a nerd and a bit socially awkward -- and I think those traits manifest in a perception of extreme arrogance. Phil is probably the kind of guy that stays to himself a lot and keeps to a very tight circle (the anti-Vijay Sinhg, who seems to be everyone's best friend). This isn't because he doesn't like people, but just a bit of a loner and is generally "out of his element" interacting with a number of his peers.

I think a decent analogy is that he is kind of like the awkward braniac from high school that, when pushed into a corner or challenged a bit, responds by saying something vey blunt and to the point (like "hey, remember I am the one with the 4.0 GPA around here"). I don't think it is malicious on his part, but a by-product of his social awkwardness. He just isn't a "locker room" guy who eveyone loves because he is congenial, funny and outgoing.

Phil also speaks very matter of factly, and that is something that can put people off (especially those who have to compete with him weekly)

Ultimately, I think Phil has a huge heart and is very generous, and a bit socially awkward.

THAT is what I believe about Phil Mickelson.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

How phil behaves in the locker room is none of my business, he is great to the media, the fans, and his family, thats all that really matters.

Sorry man, gotta totally disagree with you on that one. I'm not necessarily knocking Phil, because the guy IS a tremendous golfer, no one can argue that. But to say how he behaves in the locker room is everyone's business. He's a public figure. Part of the responsibility/burden that comes from being a public figure is the fact that your life becomes public knowledge, and you become a role model, whether you want to or not.

My attitude towards all this has completely changed within the past year or so. A good friend of mine's son was really big into Michael Phelps when the Olympics were going on. Scandal hits, unflatterering pictures were published, and his kid was absolutely crushed. Personally, do I think what Phelps was doing was wrong? No, not really He was a kid in his early 20s having a good time, just like I did a few years back and it doesnt make him a bad person, it would just be nice to know things like that when you pledge your allegiance to a particular athlete. The thing is, as a sports fan, I want to know the person that I'm cheering for is really the person they make themselves out to be, not a two-faced jackass who fools people into liking them. Anyone can write a check to charity and smile real big. I'm not saying that that's what Phil is, my point is that you can't just say that someone's behavior behind the scenes doesnt matter.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I have been a Phill fan since his college days and if he is not liked by his co workers I could care less.All his co workers who supposedly don't likehim I quess are phoney bastards cause they all put on the pink for his wife.was that being REAL or looking good for the public phoney bull?Soup you are giving Huntington a bad name give us your sources if you know something.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I don't have an ounce of first hand knowledge, but this is my take on Phil and the clubhouse issue (just reading and absorbing some info on Phil and this issue):

This really rings true to me from what I've seen following him closely. I think to say he is a 'golf nerd' is probably accurate.

In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

I've been a Phil fan for a while, too.

The locker room rumors remain as somewhat of an enigma, but personally I think Phil is a genuinely kind person.

Rick Reilly has been around the golf world for a while, and he had some interesting (and nice) things to say about Phil this week that might shed some light on the topic. You can find the audio clip by searching Life of Reilly on espn.com.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I remember being so happy for Phil when he won the Masters. I've personally witnessed him stop on his way between holes, with no press or very many onlookers around, and give a little girl his golf ball. Really touched me.

At this US Open, Phil had the crowd with him, and he was out there trying to win for his wife. Also, there's the whole issue of the current economy and the need for professional golf and its ambassadors to do everything they can to keep its sponsors and grow its fan base.

Phil was awesome this final US Open round. I'll always be a fan.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, this is cousin of a friend knowledge here and happened several years ago, so take this with a grain of salt:

Story goes that the guy volunteered to drive the PGA players to and from the course to their respective hotels or what-have-you. He was asked to take Sergio back to the hotel and when they pulled up to the hotel, Sergio asked the guy to get him two bottles of wine brought up to the room. After the guy explains that he doesn't work for the hotel, Sergio gets a little snippy and demands the guy find someone to get the wine to his hotel.

Same day, he has to go pick up Phil. They get to the destination after chatting the entire way and then Phil gives the guy a $100 bill and thanks him for volunteering to do the shuttling.

I read an article lately about Tim Finchem and someone apparently calling him cheap to which Tim said and I'm paraphrasing

"I'd put my generosity in tipping up against anyone else on the PGA tour save for maybe Phil Mickelson".

Thought that was interesting.

I've always been a Mickelson fan. Yes, he might be a little cocky in the locker rooms. Yes he may come off as arrogant in there, but he's got the game and the resume to back it all up except to one person.

Add in that he's great with fans and great for the game. You couldn't have two more opposite personalities and approaches to golf than in Tiger and Phil to head up the PGA. It works.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

Why can't we like both Tiger and Phil?

Seems like everyone feels as though they have to choose a side. They're different personalities, I like them both and feel they are a perfect #1/#2 duo for the tour.
In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

Why can't we like both Tiger

they are both unbelievable golfers and yes i do like them both! i think sometimes its just a case of some people wanting to be different by not liking tiger!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

they are both unbelievable golfers and yes i do like them both!

I agree. I think a lot of people get sick of seeing the same person win all the time (like me) so it's not that I don't LIKE Tiger, he's amazing and I envy his game and have so much respect for him, but I never root for him.

Which then again, that's the entire reason why people like him in the first place - because he wins so much, haha.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Yes he may come off as arrogant in there, but he's got the game and the resume to back it all up except to one person.

Lucas Glover?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I agree. I think a lot of people get sick of seeing the same person win all the time (like me) so it's not that I don't LIKE Tiger, he's amazing and I envy his game and have so much respect for him, but I never root for him.

That's what's so wierd about it to me - it seems like the Tiger haters usually dont show him a lot of respect and act like his accomplishments dont mean a thing. Though I'm not Phil's biggest fan, I definitely like watching the guy play, and I can't deny what he's done. The man can pull off some amazing shots. Then again, so can TW. Though he's probably my favorite player on tour, even if he wasnt, I'd still be secretly rooting for Tiger, at least to break the records he' pursuing. Watching history being made and records being broken is just cool... Except for when Barry Bonds did it. That sucked.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Here are couple of articles

http://golf.about.com/b/2006/01/26/p...-hated-man.htm

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/alan....q_hates_phil_m

Also, I think there is a neat dynamic between Mickelson and Tiger - you've got Mickelson who is all lovey-dovey with the crowd and media but is despised in the lockerroom and you have Tiger who is very reserved in front of fans and the media but is loved in the lockerroom.

At The Open on Friday - 15 tee was backed up with 3 groups the entire morning. As Tiger came through, there were two groups ahead of him on the tee - I was sitting in the first row of the bleachers right behind the tee box. He got along great with everyone on the tee box, joking around, laughing - seeking guys out, guys seeking him out - he had what looked like a funny conversation with Justin Leonard - and then after Leaonard hit his tee shot, Tiger was was bent over laughing to which all 9 guys erupted in laughter, including Leonard (who had just ripped a 10 handicap looking draw about 238 yards down the left side).

You don't see that with Phil.

Note: This thread is 5439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!