IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Precis1on

I remember someone mentioning that the lower lofts is just all technology. It's so easy to get the ball up in the air with the new tech, that they lowered the lofts to increase distance without losing height in ballflight while increasing distance. It's probably easier to get a new lower lofted 3i into the air than the higher lofted 3 of the past, but I could be wrong about that.

Its so they can say their irons hit further and they can sell you a gap wedge.

3 iron: 220

4 iron: 208

5 iron: 196

6 iron: 184

7 iron: 171

8 iron: 158

9 iron: 145

PW: 132

SW: 120

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shouldn't the aim of hitting your irons be to hit them accurately and with distance gaps that are as close as possible so that you have a full swing club for every 12 or so ish yards. all those guy that are using "9" irons to go 150 yards are shooting themselves in the foot. doesn't it just mean that you have to invent shots and swings because you have a selection of clubs from about 8 iron up to 3 iron that go ridiculous distances. I reckon all irons should return  original loft specs. Or even further, so that there are smaller loft gaps, so for a shot of 120 yards a 7 iron or similar is used. Strong lofts at the top end of a club set are the wrong way round.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Yeah, there we go again - brands, different lofts and distance (see my post #215 )

I hit the 9i with 42 degrees loft consistently 120 yards. Your Burner Plus 9i has 40 degrees of loft - your distance should equal about mine with a lower loft. Your 8i has 36 degrees loft - mine 38. So you next distances would/should increment in about 10 yard steps.

I saw a chart listing typical distances for hi-/mid-/low handicaps - gotta dig it up. Found it true for me.

Gaps are pretty much individualistic, range from 10-15 yards usually. To me as long as you know you gaps you can play golf, doesn't matter how large they are.

Also i don't mind stronger irons, because clubs have such lower COG's, they get higher as well, so your looking at longer distances and softer landings.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
None

Uhm, no. That's not true at all.

uhm, yes it could be.

it all depends on the perimeter weighting on the cavity back and whether it is a hack hitting it off the toe on the CB or a pro hitting dead center of the blade.

Yeah but.....no.....If you're teeing off with your driver, then most folks here seem to be hitting 250 yards or so then the question is what distance is your second shot required to go. Most par 4s are 400 or so long, most shorter, so why are peeps carrying all these long strong lofted clubs. If some players here say they hit they're 8 irons 150 yards....well good, but how redundant does that make their 3 4 and 5 irons. Par 4's would have to be 450 to 500 yards long ....that doesn't happen. I bought a ping plus 1 inch longer 7 iron the other day, just something to bash around the paddock with....the bloody thing goes as far as a 5 iron!!!. It's the stupidest thing, if their 7iron goes 150 meters, and probably their 9 goes 130 meters .....then effectively i've got to play from 125 meters into 0 meters with a pitch, a gap and a sand. Bullshit! I want SMALL gaps in club selections. Say from 130 meters I want to be looking at a 6 iron....not a 9!!! The moral of this story is have your shaft length DECREASED and bend all your lofts 4 degrees more.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator
uhm, yes it could be. it all depends on the perimeter weighting on the cavity back and whether it is a hack hitting it off the toe on the CB or a pro hitting dead center of the blade.

It's still not true, no. Iron faces that were THAT springy would be useless. 5-10 MPH faster?No. And the post of mine was from 2009.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

56 Degree Wedge 75

Gap Wedge 105

Pitching Wedge 115

9 Iron 130

8 Iron 140

7 Iron 150

6 Iron 160

5 Iron 170

4 Iron 180

3 Hybrid 190

3 Wood 210

Driver 250

Putter 4 feet past the hole....

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

7i - Dallas, TX 150 yds. (where I live)

7i - Houston, TX 140 yds.

7i - California, NM, Colorado 160 yds.

It's funny to see guys from the lower humidity/higher altitude areas of the country that can't come to grips with just how much distance they lose in a place like Houston. I played in Houston once in the summer on a very hot and humid day. I was striking the ball well and it was just amazing how far the ball didn't go. My wife experienced the same thing and she is a single digit handicapper who played in college.

I'm a member of a club and there are plenty of guys scratch to low single digit handicaps that only drive the ball 240-250 yards carry - they just happen to be in the fairway. My carry is 240 yards with my driver and my drives are about where theirs are in the rare occurance I'm in the fairway.

When I play with high handicappers or newbie's, they swear I hit my driver 300 yards. It's been my experience folks new to the game GREATLY exaggerate driving distance.

My Dallas distances

Dr 240 carry

3w 225 carry

5w 200 carry

4h 180

5h 170

6i 160

7i 150

8i 140

9i 130

PW 120

Originally Posted by GreenFlag

When I play with high handicappers or newbie's, they swear I hit my driver 300 yards. It's been my experience folks new to the game GREATLY exaggerate driving distance.

I pulled a 3-wood into the left rough a couple weeks ago and the other 3 guys were in the right rough about 80-100 yards back. I could hear one guy say my drive was over 300 yards. The other guys agreed.  My ball was just short of the 150 on a 415 yard hole.  I've lasered every hole and know the yardage markers are accurate. How could some mistake a 250ish drive for 300+? I don't know, but yeah, I've seen that too.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I hit my clubs about the same distance as the LPGA tour pro's.    Thats why I like watching them - I can relate to it.    Watching Bubba jack it out there 330 is like a differrent sport.

Amazing now that I'm really working on compressing the ball with my 9i & wedges, how much farther the ball goes that just picking it.    I'm consistently overshooting greens now.    I'm so used to hitting a PW 110, that when I really compress it, ball first, take a shallow divot and it flies 125-130, I just can't accept it.     The biggest challenge for me is to accept how far I'm hitting the ball now for fear of being short.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

I hit my clubs about the same distance as the LPGA tour pro's.    Thats why I like watching them - I can relate to it.    Watching Bubba jack it out there 330 is like a differrent sport.

Amazing now that I'm really working on compressing the ball with my 9i & wedges, how much farther the ball goes that just picking it.    I'm consistently overshooting greens now.    I'm so used to hitting a PW 110, that when I really compress it, ball first, take a shallow divot and it flies 125-130, I just can't accept it.     The biggest challenge for me is to accept how far I'm hitting the ball now for fear of being short.

You can compress the ball by picking it too. It wouldn't be possible to thin a lob wedge 50 yards past your target if the ball wasn't being compressed.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You can compress the ball by picking it too. It wouldn't be possible to thin a lob wedge 50 yards past your target if the ball wasn't being compressed.

There is a story about one of the former golf greats (I forget who) who was supposed to give a golf clinic and the driving range was no available.  He did the clinic on the closely mowed grass right out front of the clubhouse and when he was finished you couldn't tell a ball had been hit off the grass.  It's a popular story about a big name, so hopefully someone remembers this one too.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by iacas

It's still not true, no. Iron faces that were THAT springy would be useless. 5-10 MPH faster?No. And the post of mine was from 2009.

You have no idea what you are saying.

I am not talking about specific gains in ball speed because of perimeter weighting.  However:

The proportion of ball speed averaged out across the face will be higher vs a blade NO MATTER WHAT (notice the word average).  It is physics, what I do.  Should you want to learn about it, I suggest a book I read years ago just for fun. "THE PHYSICS OF GOLF".

These may be your forums, but you don't automatically have to act like an authority even on the things you're not sure about.  All you gain is misinformation on your own site.

Driver: 250-275

3-wood: 230

3-hybrid: 200

4-hybrid: 185

5-iron: 170

6-iron: 160

7-iron: 150

8-iron: 140

9-iron: 130

PW: 110

GW: 100

SW: 80

LW: 70

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by saevel25

3 iron: 220

4 iron: 208

5 iron: 196

6 iron: 184

7 iron: 171

8 iron: 158

9 iron: 145

PW: 132

SW: 120

Wow, you are a BEAST!

Driver - 260

3W - 235

3H - 215

4H - 200

5I - 185 yds

6I - 165 yds

7I - 155 yds

8I - 145 yds

9I - 135 yds

PW - 125 yds

52 d - 115 yds

54d - 100 yds

56d - 95 yds

60d - 85 yds

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!