IGNORED

Why is Tiger no longer dominating like he used to?

senorchipotle
Note:Β This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've seen this cartoon. Tiger is about to go BEEP! BEEP! and leave everyone else in the dust.

Agreed. Right when people start to doubt him is when he ups the ante. I really don't think we've seen his best yet. No, he'll never win a major by 12 or 15 again, but he could win the single season Grand Slam if he's healthy and gets into a groove at the right time. He is a much more consistent golfer right now than he was a decade ago. He is literally always in contention, even when it seems like he's doing nothing (such as Bethpage when he couldn't buy a putt to save his life and still ended up T-6). He is getting into the Jack Nicklaus mode of giving himself a chance in every major. A decade ago he could win a major by 10 and then struggle to make the top 25 in the next major. The amazing thing about Nicklaus was that he always gave himself a chance. Tiger is starting to do that on a more consistent basis, and I will not be surprised if he pulls off the unthinkable one of these years. If Phil Mickelson, Kenny Perry, and Vijay Singh can play the kind of golf they are in their late 30's to late 40's, then Tiger still has MANY years of great golf left in him. Yes, his masterpieces are the 1997 Masters and 2000 U.S. Open. He'll never top those from the standpoint of an individual tournament. But he is now consistent enough to give himself more and more chances at the Grand Slam. I'm sure he'd rather have a single season Grand Slam where he only wins each major by 1 shot than having one 15-shot win in a major.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Right when people start to doubt him is when he ups the ante. I really don't think we've seen his best yet. No, he'll never win a major by 12 or 15 again, but he could win the single season Grand Slam if he's healthy and gets into a groove at the right time. He is a much more consistent golfer right now than he was a decade ago. He is literally always in contention, even when it seems like he's doing nothing (such as Bethpage when he couldn't buy a putt to save his life and still ended up T-6). He is getting into the Jack Nicklaus mode of giving himself a chance in every major. A decade ago he could win a major by 10 and then struggle to make the top 25 in the next major. The amazing thing about Nicklaus was that he always gave himself a chance. Tiger is starting to do that on a more consistent basis, and I will not be surprised if he pulls off the unthinkable one of these years. If Phil Mickelson, Kenny Perry, and Vijay Singh can play the kind of golf they are in their late 30's to late 40's, then Tiger still has MANY years of great golf left in him. Yes, his masterpieces are the 1997 Masters and 2000 U.S. Open. He'll never top those from the standpoint of an individual tournament. But he is now consistent enough to give himself more and more chances at the Grand Slam. I'm sure

That's the truth!!!

I'd also like to add the fact that within the past few years him and his wife had two kids, and he's still doing exceptional.

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

I'd also like to add the fact that within the past few years him and his wife had two kids, and he's still doing exceptional.

And knee surgery that took him out for eight months.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

If you look at his winning percentage, it is actually higher now than it was from 99-03.

Jebus looking at that list of majors is nuts!

Driver: TM TP460
3W: TM Burner Superfast

5W: TM Burner Superfast
4-9: TM MC
48: CG14
52: Nike VR

56: CG16

Putter: Ping Gnome

I recall someone saying that his lack of multishot victories was due to Tiger playing more conservatively. Once he gets a lead of a couple of strokes he stops taking the risky shots and just plays conservatively. Earlier in his career he would keep the pedal down to bury the field. In other words Tiger realized that a win by one or two strokes is as much of a win as a win by eight. Why take the risk by continuing to play the hero shots when they aren't needed?

I think there's plenty of legitimacy to that. Early in his career there was more of a fear level and uncertainty. Once he grasped that the field as a whole was scared of him and wouldn't produce the Miller miracle 63 final rounds to steal majors from him, Tiger naturally played more reserved and understood his leads would hold.

Also, keep in mind that in any sport the ascending talented teams produce greater margin of victory than established powerhouse teams that are the unquestioned target. My friends and I in Las Vegas have used that criteria for more than 2 decades. In basketball, for example, you might have a young hungry team as a 12 point home favorite over an outmatched foe and they'll cruise, 108-82. Then give that team 2 or 3 titles and in the same spot years later in their veteran phase they'll be a 16 point favorite over a similar foe but be content to goof around and rely on overall ability to prevail, something like 100-93, not even close to covering. I don't think Tiger's situation is markedly different. However, purely subjective with not anything concrete to back this up, I don't think Tiger's swing has even been as sound as the Butch Harmon years, particularly the long game. Even when he's been winning high percentages under Haney the wrist doesn't look ideal at the top of the backswing with the driver and I can almost sense he'll rush the downswing and probably produce a big block. Once that block tendency showed up, with the occasional coverup pull, in maybe '03 or '04, he's never seemed as awesome to me. I'm not sure the flatter, flatter method is ideal for Tiger. The Golf Channel guys will occasionally declare Tiger invincible and better than ever, like the win prior to the US Open when his driver swing looked smooth and great at the Memorial. But as a gambler I learned long ago not to overreact to a recent and very brief sample. One event meant virtually nothing. That tendency will be a part of Tiger's game for the foreseeable and until it's gone I doubt we'll see big gap triumphs. His surreal short game and ability to avoid bogeys provide enough margin for error to pick off a major here and there when his game is not at peak.

Tiger has never been invincible. He is awesome, don't get me wrong. I love what he's done for the game.

But... Given the field vs. Tiger I have almost always taken the field and I have won a good bit with that.

Now, taking an individual in a tournament? Tiger is your best bet. He's led the tour in scoring average for how many years? I think it's something like eight of the last nine years. That's just absurd.

I overhead some guys at lunch today barking that Tiger is the most overrated golfer in the history of the game. That he really only had two good years, or something like this. I think its completley obsurd, but is there any validity to it?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Sounds like someone taking the view contrary to public (and expert) opinion in an effort to sound smarter than everyone else.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I overhead some guys at lunch today barking that Tiger is the most overrated golfer in the history of the game. That he really only had two good years, or something like this. I think its completley obsurd, but

If by "overrated" they mean "worst player to win 14 majors, 70 tournaments, and not miss a cut for 7 years," then the answer is "yes." Unless the guy you overheard was named "Johnny Miller."

Otherwise, no. You know what they say about opinions, though.

This week was a fluke... he'd never seen Turnberry before Sunday... just because the guy misses two cuts in majors... doesn't mean he's still dominant... and if the ten-shot rule was still in effect at the Open championship... he would've made the cut... and probably made a run on the weekend...

I think he'll pull a 2006 after the missed cut and win the PGA at Hazeltine...

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If by "overrated" they mean "worst player to win 14 majors, 70 tournaments, and not miss a cut for 7 years," then the answer is "yes." Unless the guy you overheard was named "Johnny Miller."

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I thought about jumping in, but what do you say about such a uninformed remark like that? Then Mark Calcavecca came on TV and they were raving about him. Does not compute.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Tiger is a great player but he still does not have a legendary status like Jack (or even Tom Watson), firstly because he has not won as many majors as Jack (or have 32 runner up positions in majors) and secondly as he has not enjoyed the longevity that other players have yet.

He isnt dominating like he used to for a number of reasons: He has 920 million dollars earnings (with probably an amount nearing that in the bank) and that does not include private investments et cetera. He probably isnt working as hard on his game as he used to (he would not admit to resting on his laurels though). He has other commitments in his life related to off course earnings. He has had a knee operation and does not use his lower body like he did prior to surgery. The opposition have gotten better and have worked harder on their games since Tiger raised the bar. Finally, Tiger has won quite a few majors due to rest of the field having a nervous breakdown in the final round and I would suggest that they are no longer doing this as regularly, ie he did not out golf them they just melted in the heat! Tiger will retire from golf in the next 5 years.

• Administrator
[Tiger] still does not have a legendary status like ... even Tom Watson

You're on crack.

... because he has not won as many majors as Jack (or have 32 runner up positions in majors)

Now you're just making up stats? The number's 19.

and secondly as he has not enjoyed the longevity that other players have yet.

He's won majors 11 years apart. You're faulting him because he wasn't bor earlier? He hasn't had a chance for the "longevity" yet.

He probably isnt working as hard on his game as he used to

Riiiiiiight.

He has had a knee operation and does not use his lower body like he did prior to surgery.

No, he's able to use it better now...

The opposition have gotten better and have worked harder on their games since Tiger raised the bar.

First/only valid reason you've given.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Tiger will retire from golf in the next 5 years.

An interesting proposition, but for now I disagree. I am the first to point out (and not favorably) how over-emotional he gets on the course, but the fact that he is so emotional says to me he will find it very hard to quit playing. He's already down to a pretty small number of the more "prestigious" events, so I don't think he's getting over-done. And as younger players come on - sort of like young gunfighters in the Old West - to challenge him, I think his pride will make it hard for him to let them take center stage as long as he thinks he's better. He's already got enough cash so I think his intensity is not money-related.

Now I'm taking your comment as meaning complete retirement as a player. Maybe he will try to cut back more, but still play the handful of majors, although I think that would prove to be hard for him because there comes a point where lack of play starts to cost you, and I don't think he will want to play if he feels he's not going to win. Of course if there's a physical issue, that changes everything.

Hasn't Tiger said himself that he may not play golf for too long, but spend more time with his family? When that is is of course impossible to foresee, but I don't think he'll be playing for that much longer. Maybe till 40.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I am a Tiger fan. But I have some suppositions about where he is right now. This is just dribble, but, hey, they are my thoughts. He is very different from the Tiger of 1997 when he first won Augusta and changed golf forever.

1. When Tiger's dad was around, his world was different. Dad was a great stabilizing force in his life.
2. Tiger has changed his swing at least 5 times. It is hard to know what is natural for him now. He could have stayed with the swing he had under Harmon and likely done about the same or better (conjecture.)
3. Tiger shows more anger now. I actually don't like to see him slamming clubs down, over and over. He used to get off at the mouth and that was about it. It was not nearly as frequent to see him lose it and slam the clubs as if it is the equipment's fault. Now you can tell when he is losing it.
4. It must be hard to be Tiger today versus Tiger in years past. Think of the expectations. People want him to be invincible and he is more worried about swing mechanics.
5. Whether he says it or not, Tiger liked being known as the longest, and now there are a dozen or more guys who hit it further... not that he could not still keep up, but he is apparently conflicted with executing certain swings and not attacking the course as he once did.

Those are my thoughts. He will still likely be the greatest golfer of all time. He has tournaments where his highest level of play has never been equalled. But then there are moments of uncertainity or surprise. It appears at times a bit artificial and not the comfortable domination of the younger Tiger. Yes, it was totally unexpected for him to miss the cut at the British Open, but 114 guys hit more fairways, and 115 hit more greens. I'll bet the other pros are not looking forward to the next time he steps on the tee.

RC

Β 

I am a Tiger fan. But I have some suppositions about where he is right now. This is just dribble, but, hey, they are my thoughts. He is very different from the Tiger of 1997 when he first won Augusta and changed golf forever.

Some very good points. I agree as a Tiger fan, I don't like to see Tiger showing all the extra anger nowadays, I think it takes focus away from what he wants which is to win. The dad point is interesting too and probably did have some relevance to his former and current game.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

Note:Β This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!