IGNORED

golfshot on iPhone

Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really like the scorekeeping and stats features. Hoping they can find a way to get the GPS to lock on a little faster.

It takes like a few seconds for it to catch up, go check the wind and you will get your yardage.

« Keith »

I bought golfshot and the GPS is rarely accurate. Sometimes it's way way off. I don't use it because of that. Maybe it's my iPhone, although I doubt it, as the other GPS applications seem to work fine (maps, etc.)

I've found it very accurate. It takes no more than 3 - 4 seconds from bringing the applicaiton up to really dialing in the GPS position. I'll agree the first reading you see may be off by around 20 yards but this is just how the phone zero's in on the GPS position. I have only used the 3G version (not 3GS).

ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

has anyone used golfshot without 3g reception. i live out of 3g coverage with my provider in australia and want to know if it still will give me gps yardage without 3g. i do get edge which is a lot slower of course.

has anyone used golfshot without 3g reception. i live out of 3g coverage with my provider in australia and want to know if it still will give me gps yardage without 3g. i do get edge which is a lot slower of course.

The GPS functionality works fine without reception. It won't however show you the aerial view since it requires a data connection to download the images.

I've tried the following GPS apps for my iPhone: - Greenfinder - ViewTi - Golfshot GPS Golfshot is by far the best for me. It's the most user friendly and has the best statistics and analysis features. It's been totally accurate also on the 10 to 15 courses that I've used it on. Battery life is a concern, but if you do the following before you start your round, you'll get around no problem with plenty of battery life to spare: - Turn your brightness down, I use about 40% and can see the screen fine even here in sunny California - Go to Settings->General and switch auto-lock to 5 minutes, that way you don't need to deal with re-locking the GPS so often - Manually turn the screen off when you're close to the green, and back on when you're done with the hole (which you'll do anyway as you'll be entering your score) I also bought this combination holster/battery backup for my iPhone, for those 36 hole days: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

ok nice to know it would still give yardage. heres my summary

iphone app:
- $35 Golfshot app
- $40 battery extender
- $25 mount for buggy off ebay
= $100

Bushnell neo:
$100

Overall i think the standalone gps is the way to go so you dont have to worry about charging the phone, locking it, unlocking it etc.

• 8 months later...

I recently decided to look into buying GolfShot GPS to run alongside Golfshot (scoring) and found a lot of good reviews for the GolfCard GPS app on iPhone 3GS. As it's free I decided to download and give it a go.

My local course was found straight away and had basic info like tee, front of green, pin, back of green etc but wasn't fully mapped with hazards and boundaries so I downloaded and (in about 20 mins) created full course meshes for it to use on course. I've not had the chance to go ot and see how good/bad it is yet but considering it's free, enables users to create/correct courses using a simple piece of downloadable software and looks to be pretty good I thought I'd mention it for you guys to also try out.

Let us know how you get on and I'll do likewise next time I'm out and get to use it.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Since I have a range finder, I only use the score card feature.  Started using it last season and really like it; keeps all your cards and stats also.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Originally Posted by binga7

ok nice to know it would still give yardage. heres my summary

iphone app:

- $35 Golfshot app

- $40 battery extender

- $25 mount for buggy off ebay

= $100

Bushnell neo:

$100

Overall i think the standalone gps is the way to go so you dont have to worry about charging the phone, locking it, unlocking it etc.

I'm not sure what iphone you have, but the battery extender is not necessary at all for the iphone 4. I showed up at the course yesterday w/ 40% battery and left w/ 20%. As for the mount, A. is that necessary? B. I guess your standalone comes w/ one, otherwise that's a wash. Finally, does the bushnell neo track your stats? To each their own, but, imho, if you already own an iphone/droid, then it's a better deal than buying a standalone gps. The features on the neo do not seem to compare. I can understand someone opting for a laser (I wish I hadn't lost mine) b/c the features are different.

• Upvote 1

Ive had the golfshot app on my iPhone4 for almost a year now, even had it on my iPhone 3GS (which was a pile) and have absolutely no complaints! I love it! And I use it for every single round! Get it! It will be the best thing you buy for your phone!

The stats are great. you can preprogram layup shot distances, and what club, so it will tell you on the map where to hit to for your layup shot for a particular club. Also has a handicap feature (which I dont use). But its a great app. Worth the $30 or whatever it is. I never use the paper score cards anymore.

It doesn't kill my battery at all. It has ways to "pause" the app, besides the obvious turn the phone screen off. And it goes in my pocket, I never even notice it.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Been using Golfshot on my iphone since last year, I paid £17.99 for it and have to admit its the best thing I have ever used.

Not only for the GPS but for the statistics it gives you after the round. There is also another App which I have been sent for free with Paul Azinger which connects through to it and lets you know what areas of your game you need to work on.

When I see people walking around the course with skykaddies and goldbuddies for over £300 it makes me chuckle to myself to be honest as I have everything for so much less, dont get me wrong i am sure the people with the other items might not have an iphone etc

The schoolteacher was taking her first golfing lesson. "Is the word spelt p-u-t or p-u-t-t?" she asked the instructor. "P-u-t-t is correct," he replied. "Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."

• 3 months later...

I just used Golfshot today and it is superb. I dunno all the complaints about battery life because after 9 holes today my battery was @ 88%, starting from a full charge.

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why anyone will pay for these programs.  I use MyCaddie Pro, which is FREE!!!

It has GPS, keeps stats, you can even see the hole via satellite image and get the distance to a particular area using this image.  For 18 holes, it only uses 10-15% of the battery on my iPhone 4.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like Golfshot.  First time I played with it a buddy in my group had his laser rangefinder and we were within a yard -- so the accuracy is great.  As others have mentioned, the battery can drain very fast, but I've never had trouble finishing a round.  There are also plenty of mobile battery boosters to get it charged back up if thats an issue.  The app and website has great stat tracking, charts, great presentation, etc. that far exceeds anything else I've seen.  There is also a great companion app that analyzes your game using the stats from the Golfshot app and gives you tips and drills with videos to help fix what you need to work on.

One other unintended bonus is not seeing the scorecard.  I put in my score and stats for a hole and I'm on to the next.  The last hole -- good or bad -- is behind me.  This has helped me a lot with not thinking about my score during the round, lingering on bad holes, etc. and just focusing on the shot that is in front of me.

I concur..I've used MyCaddie Pro every round this year and its great!  It's pretty darn close to the markers on the course...GPS, Stat tracking, Last active shot tracking, Tee shot yardages, layup tips, hazards, Aerial views...all of this for FREE!

Originally Posted by Yukari

I have no idea why anyone will pay for these programs.  I use MyCaddie Pro, which is FREE!!!

It has GPS, keeps stats, you can even see the hole via satellite image and get the distance to a particular area using this image.  For 18 holes, it only uses 10-15% of the battery on my iPhone 4.

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently came out of the dark ages and upgraded my old "smart" phone to an iphone 3gs. I bought the golfshot app after reading some reviews online and used it for the first time last evening. If you don't already have a gps device it is money well spent.

Note: This thread is 4603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!