IGNORED

What Would It Take to Fix the LPGA's Issues?

ControlJunkie
Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

An interesting thread, and actually a refreshing one as it seems most people are putting in some thought and being constructive. Kudos to those contributing.

It seems that the question boils down to two fundamental issues: (1) the level of interest in women's sports compared to men's sports; and (2) is the LPGA achieving its potential as a women's sport?

To the first point, it seems that we are indeed saddled with societal views that mean the LPGA will never be as popular as the PGA, and probably it won't ever really become all that popular. Period. Across all of sports, it doesn't seem that there are really any examples where the women's sport is as significantly popular as men's. Perhaps gymnastics, but that is an amateur sport that seems to only draw broad interest every 4 years at an Olympics. In pro sports, probably women's tennis has the highest interest compared to the men. If so, one could look at that as the model, or the level to shoot for in determining potential.

So the next question: is the LPGA living up to its potential? I feel clearly not. For that, the commish has to take responsibility, and it seems that the LPGA needs new leadership. Per my earlier thoughts, I feel that a fundamental lack of great marketing is at the root of the problems, and a new commissioner with a great sense of promotion would be a huge help.

If we accept that LPGA will be generally hampered as all women's sports have been, what are the things that new LPGA leadership could do to live up to its potential?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that it is a sad fact, but it is a fact.

Women are too busy doing the dishes or laundry to watch something as stupid as women's sports on TV. My wife watches CNN, Lifetime, and the Food Network. She has NO idea who the Williams sisters are. She knows Paula, Natalie, Cristie, Laura, etc. because my son, my granddaughter, and I talk about them all the time.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Women are too busy doing the dishes or laundry to watch something as stupid as women's sports on TV.

So much about my prior comment about people putting in some thought and being constructive. Sigh......

I wonder if there has ever been any thought to playing a men's and women's tournament at the same course at the same time. I know it couldn't be done in the meat of the season, but maybe in November or December as a paid exhibition. Have 60 men and 60 women play, off different tees of course, and have a winner in each division. You could at least get some sort of interest by the viewing public if there were a few top names playing. I think the casual viewer could at least become somewhat interested in the women's game, if they are almost forced to watch. I think it would be neat to see Kenny Perry make a long birdie putt on one hole and then go directly to Morgan Pressel's second shot on the par 5. You could have two separate battles for the lead to keep track of and have a bunch of different rooting interests.

I think one of the benefits in tennis is that for a few tournaments, and most importantly the majors, the men and women play at the same venue. The media coverage and TV time is split about 50/50. If you turn on the TV in August to watch the U.S. Open, you might see women playing or you might see men. The viewer doesn't mind too much, they just want to watch a big event.

As stated before, this won't change my view of the LPGA, I still wouldn't watch, I just can't get into it. But I would be more inclined to watch something like this.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Administrator
I wonder if there has ever been any thought to playing a men's and women's tournament at the same course at the same time.

Problem with that is that the men would have no interest - no reason - to play in such an event. Nothing to gain.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Problem with that is that the men would have no interest - no reason - to play in such an event. Nothing to gain.

Aye, theres the rub

er catch 22 er somthin

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Show more natalie gulbis then LPGA would get more attention and more girl on girl action or *erm* girl vs girl i mean.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

I wonder if there has ever been any thought to playing a men's and women's tournament at the same course at the same time. I know it couldn't be done in the meat of the season, but maybe in November or December as a paid exhibition.

They have played the Wendy's 3 Tour Challange for many years. 3 player teams from the LPGA, PGA and Champions Tours. The LPGA has won it 4 times in 17 years.

http://www.wendys3tour.com/aboutUs.html

Rob Tyska

Maybe a mixed doubles tournament like in tennis. Where you have a guy and girl form a team.

That actually might be pretty interesting.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Maybe a mixed doubles tournament like in tennis. Where you have a guy and girl form a team.

I agree with both of you. My wife and I talk about that all the time and imagine the possibilities: Creamer and Garcia, Gulbis and Villegas, Alfreddson and Perry, etc...

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I know that the men wouldnt really have anything to gain out of it, but if the heads of the LPGA reached out to the PGA, asking for a favor in their time of need, you still dont think the guys would step up to help their female counterparts out? All of this is completely hypothetical, of course.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

That's been done too. It was the "Battle at the Bridges" in 2001 Karrie Webb and David Duval against Annika and Tiger alternate shot. The golf was pretty poor that night.

Rob Tyska

That's been done too. It was the "Battle at the Bridges" in 2001 Karrie Webb and David Duval against Annika and Tiger alternate shot. The golf was pretty poor that night.

No, no, we were talking about a full field tournament sanctioned by either or both the PGA and LPGA.

My Tools of Ignorance:

OK, I've had a brainstorm (or brainfart, I'll let everyone decide.)

Maybe the LPGA should follow NASCAR's example.

NASCAR may look like an indivudual sport, but it has organized itself into teams. Tony Stewart is really part of the Joe Gibbs Racing team and is a team mate of Denny Hamlin, JJ Yeley, and Aric Almirola. Kyle Bush, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Casey Mears are all on the Hendrick Motorsports team.

By organizing themselves into teams, they have made it EASIER to secure sponsorships, market themselves, and share/reduce costs. And sponserships are what keeps NASCAR alive. The vast majority of NASCAR revenue comes from sponserships and marketing (the number in my head is 80%, but I could be wrong). The fact is NASCAR could not survivie if it only relied on ticket sales and TV revenue.

And they don't limit themselves to auto parts sponserships. They go with everything under the sun (from laundry detergent to Lowes.) And those sponsers help promote NASCAR, but running ads that promote NASCAR.

Individuals can not enter races. Teams enter races. If you are not part of a team, you don't get in. This allows NASCAR to filter who does and doesn't race in effect allowing them to limit it to the most "marketable" racers (case in point: Dale Earnhart Jr, losey racer, but great marketing item.)

NASCAR started out as a niche sport (still is in many ways, imho.) But they found a model that not only allowed them to survive but to grow. A model that might also work for the LPGA.

53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

OK, I've had a brainstorm (or brainfart, I'll let everyone decide.)

Im not understanding whatsoever how that idea applies to golf... Is michelle wie gonna come in for a pit stop at the turn and get a hot dog and soda shoved in her mouth by Morgan pressell or something?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Im not understanding whatsoever how that idea applies to golf... Is michelle wie gonna come in for a pit stop at the turn and get a hot dog and soda shoved in her mouth by Morgan pressell or something?

What I think he means is that players would team up with each other and secure the same sponsorships, club related and other, as a group.

My Tools of Ignorance:

What I think he means is that players would team up with each other and secure the same sponsorships, club related and other, as a group.

Like the whole taylormade/addais, titliest/footjoy thing?

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Think marketing, not the game itself.

You have to understand that on the surface NASCAR looks like a stock car racing league, it is actually a marketing organization. They make their money from marketing, not the races. Forming teams allows them to be more efficient marketers, and expand their marketing to virtually everything. The marketing aspect of NASCAR can be gaudy and go overboard at times, but on the other hand they are surviving (in fact doing pretty well.) The LPGA is not surviving on just tournaments and TV revenue. NASCAR created a marketing plan that allowed their niche sport to not only survive, but grow and prosper. What I'm saying is the LPGA (and it's members) should look at the marketing concepts used by NASCAR and apply them to their sport/organization.

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!