IGNORED

What wedges do you play? Do you give up any other clubs for another wedge?

Note: This thread is 5386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious what the general area is on the number and degree of wedges that people use out there. I currently have a 47 degree pitching wedge, 56 degreee sand wedge, and a 60 degree lob wedge. I think I'm going to be adding a 53 or 54 at the cleveland demo day coming up.

If you have a 4th wedge what club do you give up?

G15 10.5 Driver
G15 17 Wood
G10 24 Hybrid
G10 6-PW Irons
52, 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges Detour Newport 2 DT SoLo BallSwing Speed: 111 MPH, wish I could putt.

I lay a cleveland pitch- special 49, a cleveland 52 cg10, and a cleveland 56cg10, and a Cleveland Tour Action 588 sand wedge. So i usually throw out the 3 iron.
Bag- Orig. 14 Stadium Tour
Driver- R7 limited 9.5*
3 Wood- R7
5 Wood-Viper Tour
Irons- X18/X22 ToursWedges- 52*/ 56* SandPutter- Hamilton f2 series BladeBall- Pro V1Glove-

Hi,

at the moment I am playing a
45° Pitching Wegde (AP1)
50° Gap Wedge (AP1) for full shots mostly
50° Vokey (mainly for chips, and when I want to put backspin on the ball)
54° Vokey
58° Vokey

On the other end I am playing a driver, 3/5 wood, 19°/22° hybrid.
Irons from 5-9

I can leave gaps in the long clubs, becuase I am spraying everything longer than 150yds anyway. I am not trying to reach greens if it is more than 150yds away.

So I can easily live with with only three woods/hybrids and starting from 5i up.
However, in the short game I like my options.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

From the clubs in your signature, I would say give up the 5 wood or 21º hybrid. They two clubs are pretty much the same, only a couple of degree difference. You could make some swing adjustments and the 5 wood could become the 21º.

You have a lot of long clubs in your bag. Think back at your rounds and try and remember how many times you hit each one, versus the amount of times you might have a shot where you would like to hit a GW. You might be surprised to think that you don't need all the long clubs. The gaps between each of them can't be that much. It is probably little enough that there is at least one of them you don't hit that often.

I carry a 13º 3-wood and a 19º hybrid, then a 24º 4-iron. Those three clubs cover anything over 200 yards. I have found that if I am that far away, I don't need to be exactly accurate, so these clubs work out just fine. I would much rather have a smaller yardage gap with wedges, then with long clubs.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Right now I'm carrying a 47*, 52*, and 58*. If I'm playing a course where the layout/traps demand a dedicated higher bounce sand wedge, I'll add in a 56* and remove the 12* Hybrid. I'd probably also switch the 58* to a 60* if I was carrying a 56*.

I agree with goblue that it probably be best to give up either your 5 wood or 21* hybrid - personally, I'd lean toward taking out the 5 wood.

From your current makeup, I'd say add a 52 or 53. Adding a 54 is only 2* below your sand, but it would be 7* above your pitching wedge. If you went with a 52*, you'd be 5* above pitching, and 4* below your sand.

Just my $0.02.

I recently got a new set of irons where the PW is 45*. My current wedge setup is 52*, 56*, 60*. I've flirted with the idea of adding a 48* in between my PW and Gap wedge because I still have room in my bag for one more club. It's between a 3 wood and a 48* at the moment. I'm just not sure a 488 is absolutely necessary at the moment.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

Went and got myself fitted this year - my PW was a strong 47 and 54 was actually 55. So first thing's first I was told, fill the gap with at 51.

I actually got new irons with a 47 custom fitted and a 51 degree Cleveland DSG RTG. Love this club. Went and got a 56 (bent to 55) and 60 (bent to 59).

Now my settup is:

Taylormade Tour Preferred PW 47 degrees
Cleveland 51
Cleveland 55
Cleveland 59

...making it an even 4 degree gap between each one.

Sacraficed a 3 iron for this - have less use for a 3 iron. Have a gap between 5 wood and 4 iron now (17.5 up to 24) but getting a 19 degree 5 wood to make it a smaller gap.

You'll love Cleveland wedges!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I agree with goblue that it probably be best to give up either your 5 wood or 21* hybrid - personally, I'd lean toward taking out the 5 wood.

I think 3 wood (or equivalently lofted hybrid) is the obvious choice here. I wouldn't worry about adding a wedge unless you have a huge distance gap between the PW and GW, and if you did, I'd just pay $5 and have the 52* bent to a 51* or 50*. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in the area stop in and see if you can pick up a Nickent 15.5* hybrid for $39, really great club.

Just curious what the general area is on the number and degree of wedges that people use out there. I currently have a 47 degree pitching wedge, 56 degreee sand wedge, and a 60 degree lob wedge. I think I'm going to be adding a 53 or 54 at the cleveland demo day coming up.

I would look for a 52 to fill the gap between PW and SW. I would give up the 60 degree.

currently im just using a PW and 2 wedges. i was using 3 wedges for awhile (52,56,60) but i found that i rarely used my 56º wedge. so i went the 53º, 58º route instead. that way i was able to put my 4 iron back in my bag

I play a strong 46* PW, 52* Vokey, and 56* Vokey. I'm just starting out so I'm getting a feel for what I can do with the clubs, but I've been tempted to try a 60* and pull my 5 wood.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I play a 46º PW, 52º GW, and a 56º SW. My distances for PW, GW, and SW are 125, 110, ~100. What are your distances with your wedges?

« Keith »

Ive got a 45* PW, 52* and 60*. Im thinking about removing my 3-iron and replacing it with a 56*.
I often find that Im hitting shots that are in between the 52* and 60* and since I dont use my 3-iron very often, Im thinking of removing the 3-iron with a 56*.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Think I'm going to get a 52 degree and then drop the 60 and maybe get a 64 at the upcoming cleveland day. We have some pretty high greens at my home course, so some flopadopalus action wouldn't hurt.

G15 10.5 Driver
G15 17 Wood
G10 24 Hybrid
G10 6-PW Irons
52, 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges Detour Newport 2 DT SoLo BallSwing Speed: 111 MPH, wish I could putt.

I currently have a 46* PW and a 55* SW. I plan to add a 50* or 51* GW soon, but that will be my 14th club. If I ever got the urge to add a 60* LW, I'd probably either give up my 5 Wood or 4 Iron. I currently have a 3 Hybrid that could probably fill the gap of a 5 Wood if needed so that would be the most likely candidate.
Bag: VT3 Stand Bag
Driver: 10.5* Offset Driver
Fairway Wood: Offset 3 Wood
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS 20*
Irons: King Cobra II Oversize Irons 3 - PWWedges: Slingshot 4D SW 55*Putter: Crossbax 3.0 MalletBalls: Whatever I can find cheap.

Note: This thread is 5386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!