IGNORED

Rivalrys

Drennen13
Note: This thread is 5260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those of you that have seen the state of origin rugby league matches in Australia. These games are the best rivals i have seen.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those European guys take dives every time any defender comes near them (especially the Italians, and Cristiano Ronaldo does it, too, except when he knows he'll get away and score)

Although a lot of people complain about soccer players and their "diving," that's really a part of the game, yeah? On-ball tackling is constant, and if a legitimately spiked player gets up too fast, a lot of things that should happen don't have time to occur, e.g., opposing player gets a card, opposing team outs the ball to stop play, and probably most important- everybody gets a short rest. They say during the course of a match the players run some 8+ miles.

As for Ronaldo, if he's running towards the goal with a defender to beat, he's not trying to take a dive. It's the defenders who chance it and aggressively try to dispossess -- better they reset and deal with a free kick than let him get into the box... It's a little like fouling a basketball player who is about to make a layup. Ronaldo doesn't really get any special treatment from the officials; he gets special treatment from the defenders because he is a threat. If the forward players don't make it clear when they're fouled, and penalties aren't enforced for misconduct, some of those brutish defenders will start to hand out injuries, albeit accidentally or even on purpose. Last thing, never forget that penalties are assessed for the very act of "diving." If there's no contact, or truly incidental contact, you'll see guys get carded for trying to fake it. Rivalrys, then? Cards versus Cubs - Before networks offered ALL the games, every night, people watched and listened to what was available. For about one-third of the US it was either Cardinals or Cubs. UNC versus Duke - Everybody has to take a side. When's the last time you asked somebody with any knowledge or care about sports to pick between these two and they said, eh, who cares? Celtic versus Rangers - People in the US apparently know about this one, even if they know nothing else about association football. Like, for example, they could pick out a Celtic FC Jersey but might think Glasgow is in Sweden...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

Another vote for Michigan vs Ohio State.

College Football

How can you not put Michigan vs Ohio State in there, it's the best Rivalry in College Football. Longer and more tradition rich than all of the ones you have listed.

In my Tourino Stand Bag:
Driver: S9-1 F 9.5º Aldila DVS-HL S Flex Shaft
5 - Wood: 1200 Gear Perfect (being upgraded next year)
Irons: R7 Irons 4-PW
Balls: GamersWedge: 60.08º Vokey Spin Milled Wedge - Oil Can

He's right, soccer is for pansies. All those European guys take dives every time any defender comes near them (especially the Italians, and Cristiano Ronaldo does it, too, except when he knows he'll get away and score) Some of the hooligans may act in an intense, violent manner, but this doesn't legitimize the rivalry on the field. American football players take a beating every down, and put their bodies on the line for their team. It's the ultimate team game, and its also very tactical. I think fans here in the US appreciate this more, whereas we see soccer players falling down crying only to magically stand up and appear completely healed after a minute on the ground and a quick spray of that "magic" spray stuff. It's just not very appealing in our culture.

That's got absolutely zero to do with the rivalrys.

In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Ohio state vs mich state is huge but has been a little one side as of lately

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Duke/UNC

Mich/OSU

Celtic/Rangers

Man U/Chelsea+Liverpool+Man City etc.

HiBore XLS 9.5*
Launcher 15*
Rescue 21*
X-20 Tour 4-PW
CG10 50*, CG12 56*, 60*Pixl L1.8 (8 years and running)

Packers vs. Bears.

This rivalry has been going for generations. There is nothing like being in Lambeau for a Packers/ Bear game on the frozen tundra.

When the Bears are in town every other song on the local radio is "The Bears still Suck" and half the cars in Wisconsin are flying Packer flags, if not peronalized plates.

How can any other rivalry compete with a shirtless, drunken Cheesehead in late November? Even the girls in Lambeau go shirtless in the snow. Its magical...

Ohio state vs

Fixed it for ya, lol. It's University Of Michigan, not Michigan State University.

In my Tourino Stand Bag:
Driver: S9-1 F 9.5º Aldila DVS-HL S Flex Shaft
5 - Wood: 1200 Gear Perfect (being upgraded next year)
Irons: R7 Irons 4-PW
Balls: GamersWedge: 60.08º Vokey Spin Milled Wedge - Oil Can

[QUOTE=plark;346197]Penn State vs. Ohio State

to think penn v ohio state is a bigger rivalry then mich is ignorance

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Didn't have the time to read all the posts on this one but:

Dodgers/Giants
Woods/ Lefty is emerging as aclassic rivalry.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Growwing up I loved watching Detroit Redwings vs. Colorado Avalanche.... seemed to take twice as long because of all the fights.

Agreed.

But for NCAAF I will go with Michigan vs. Michigan State. Always one of my favorites around here.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

The best franchise in history and the entire NFL.

ESPN actually ranked the best football teams of all time... Cowboys were number one, Packers were number two, Steelers were number three. Sorry man, we are America's Team after all...

You may have more Super Bowls, but those two Super Bowls you won most recently were honestly the most boring championship games I have ever seen.
Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

• Administrator
You may have more Super Bowls, but those two Super Bowls you won most recently were honestly the most boring championship games I have ever seen.

Yeah, two touchdowns in the final 3:00 of the game, including a leaping, gravity-defying grab... boring. Uh hmmm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!