IGNORED

What do I need to add to my bag?

Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 22 years old and i'm taking my first golf class in the next couple of weeks. I've played before but i've never had any lessons and i'm not very good. I've recently been making purchases of equipment to get me started. My bag consists of the following:

Macgregor NVG2 Driver
Macgregor NVG2 4 Hybrid/Fairway wood
Macgregor NVG2 3-PW
Yes! Valerie Putter

As i said i'm relatively new to the game so I'm not sure what other clubs look into. Do i need a set of wedges or should i just look to purchase one more wedge? Or should I look into a couple more hybrid clubs? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
In My Bag:
Driver:MacTec NVG2 Draw 460cc
Woods:MacTec NVG2 3 Wood
Hybrid:Idea Tech A4 #3,Utility #4
Irons:MacTec NVG2 5-PW Steel, Regular FlexWedgesCCi Attack 50*CG10 Black Pearl 56*,60*Putter:C-Groove Valerie 34"

A flask.

I'd buy at least a sand wedge if I were you. A 5-wood might be a nice addition too.

If budget is not an issue, I'd get a 3 and a 5 wood. Then I'd take your 3 and 4 irons out of the bag, and add a 3 hybrid to match your 4 hybrid. Then I'd buy a 56* sand wedge and somewhere between a 50-52* gap wedge, depending on what loft your PW is.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Yeah i think i'm going to add a SW for sure . . . do you have any suggestions on what models might be good for a beginner? Budget isn't that much of an issue but I wouldn't want to spend more on one club than i did for my entire set . . .
In My Bag:
Irons:MacTec NVG2 5-PW Steel, Regular FlexWedgesCCi Attack 50*CG10 Black Pearl 56*,60*Putter:C-Groove Valerie 34"

Golf Galaxy has Cleveland CG 10 wedges 2 for 100. I would say get a 56 for sure and then whatever other loft you want.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Yeah i think i'm going to add a SW for sure . . . do you have any suggestions on what models might be good for a beginner? Budget isn't that much of an issue but I wouldn't want to spend more on one club than i did for my entire set . . .

To be honest, I wouldn't worry much about brand name. You can learn to play on a cheap set of knockoff clubs and have virtually the same experience as you would with a $2000 set of clubs. A buddy of mine spent about $200 on a full set of clubs when he started... then he went from a beginner/absolute hacker to about a 12 handicap in 3 years playing with 3 fake Nike woods and the most hideous set of knockoff Callaways and a $10 putter.

As far as your original question, as far as what kind of wedge to get... for the most part, a sand wedge is a sand wedge is a sand wedge. With every other club in the bag, there are pretty big differences in forgiveness and other factors that I'd specifically recommend for a beginner, but with wedges it's kind of what you see is what you get. There really isn't such a thing as a "forgiving" sand wedge. I'd avoid anything with more loft than 56*, and I would go for something that has a good amount of bounce (12* or more) to prevent digging.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

That's not a bad deal for Cleveland wedges.

I forgot to mention to surf the used section at your local golf store, you can find some great deals. I'll bet you could get 2 decent wedges for under $50.

Yeah a buddy of mine recommended that I get one with a lot of "bounce" . . . I've been looking around but I'm a little confused because a lot of wedges don't have the amount of bounce in the specs. Is there a baseline level or should they all have a specified value?
In My Bag:

Yeah a buddy of mine recommended that I get one with a lot of "bounce" . . . I've been looking around but I'm a little confused because a lot of wedges don't have the amount of bounce in the specs. Is there a baseline level or should they all have a specified value?

I'd say the average sand wedge has about 10-12 degrees of bounce. You could always ask the pro or a sales rep to help you distinguish between what might be considered high vs. low bounce. Every wedge does have a specific measured degree of bounce though, whether it says it on the club itself or not. If in doubt, check the manufacturers website, more than likely it will be on there.

52 degree gap wedge, 56 degree Sand Wedge, and 60 degree lob wedge (Lob wedge is not needed, but you could if you wanted to.)

This will give you something to work with from 100 yards and in, which is the most important part of the game.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

52 degree gap wedge, 56 degree Sand Wedge, and 60 degree lob wedge (Lob wedge is not needed, but you could if you wanted to.)

Agree with everything except the 60 degree wedge. Most amateurs, especially beginners, don't know how to use one properly. He might end up having more frustration having 4 wedges to choose from, and I don't think that a flop shot is a shot that a beginner needs to have in the bag, or should even be attempting. I dunno, just my opinion.

yank the 3-iron and get maybe a 56-degree wedge... you don't need a 60 right now... hell you probably wouldn't hit a 3 or 4 iron for a while...

I am a +3.5 and I hardly ever do... (i need to find a longer course too)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with everything except the 60 degree wedge. Most amateurs, especially beginners, don't know how to use one properly. He might end up having more frustration having 4 wedges to choose from, and I don't think that a flop shot is a shot that a beginner needs to have in the bag, or should even be attempting.

Well, I don't have a 60 because I like to use one wedge from 60 yards and in, and that's my Sand Wedge.

However, I think it can be easier for a high handicap/beginner to have a 60 for full shots. It's hard to have the touch on, say, a 60 yard shot - but if he had a 60 degree, then it would just be a normal full swing - that's the advantage to adding the extra wedge, I wasn't really thinking in terms of the flop shot. When I first started a couple years ago I found it was far easier to hit out of the bunkers with a 60 degree oppose to a 56...maybe that was just me though. Like I said, it's not necessary and I clearly see your point...most beginners and high handicappers don't need to be hitting any high shots or risky flop shots near the greens, but I don't think it would hurt him if he has 'room' under the rules to throw an extra club in.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

A good golf glove (or my preference - some good 3M soft bandages), waterproof golf shoes, umbrella, pull cart or carry bag with stand, lightweight rain coat, pants, hat, plenty of balls (cheap ones - you to be able to swing like you mean it - you're gonna lose some balls). Get the water proof clothing so you can play in the early morning or evening when the grass may be wet - when there's nobody pushing you. Eventually when you learn to golf in a light drizzle and manage your towels / gloves you can play any time. And you will, because once you hit your first sky approach from 15 yards that one-hops off the pin leaving a 2" birdie putt, you'll be addicted. Good luck.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

For a beginner, cleveland wedges are pretty good.

Hibore Driver
Burner Steel 3 Wood
Rescue Mid Hybrid
mp 52s
54* and 60* Spin Milled Wedges Craz-e Putter Bag Cart Neo gps

For a beginner, cleveland wedges are pretty good.

I'd agree with that. My first "real" wedges were Clevelands.

A flask.

+1 or if you need more wedges, replace the 3W and 5W with a 4W and get a LW (58* or 60*)

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!