IGNORED

3-Wood off a tee

enduro
Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I stopped hitting my driver because my 3 wood was so consistent. My best recordable distance was 235 because it landed right by the 100 yd marker on a 335 par 4. I'd have to guess I'm consistently around 200 with it.

in my bag right now -- working on upgrading

G5 10.5* driver
Sumo2 15* 3wood
everything else - XL series ($199 set)next step is a putter..........then irons

Mine is about 220 with roll. For those who hit it 260, why would you even carry a driver?

Because the guys that hit it 260 may be hitting their driver 275-280 or further.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit my 3 wood about 200 meters, it's obviously longer though with wind etc.
Whenever I grip my driver I swing out of rhythm, thus inaccurate and not far at all. I don't even carry the thing anymore, although I don't even have 14 clubs in the bag.

Mine is about 220 with roll. For those who hit it 260, why would you even carry a driver?

Because the guys that hit it 260 may be hitting their driver 275-280 or further.

Precisely. Like I said, I only use the driver if I try to reach a relatively short part 5 in two or if there is a long par 4. I usually hit the driver only two or three times a round because my accuracy with 3 wood is >75% where as with the driver, it is only ~55-60%. I rather play from a fairway than in the rough.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I only pull out the driver on a par 4 if the hole is over 400 yards. This is a rule that I have lived by for years.If the hole is less than 400 then I always hit my 3 wood which is 15 degrees. I hit mine between 240 and 250 as an average. As a rule i try to hit to the 150 marker or just less. My favorite iron is an 8 so I try to hit towards my strong suite. Hitting a driver on any hole under the 400 yard mark doesn't make sence unless the green is around 300 which will enable a good placed drive to hit the green.

I only pull out the driver on a par 4 if the hole is over 400 yards. This is a rule that I have lived by for years.If the hole is less than 400 then I always hit my 3 wood which is 15 degrees. I hit mine between 240 and 250 as an average. As a rule i try to hit to the 150 marker or just less. My favorite iron is an 8 so I try to hit towards my strong suite. Hitting a driver on any hole under the 400 yard mark doesn't make sence unless the green is around 300 which will enable a good placed drive to hit the green.

I'm not as long, anything 350 or less and I hit 3 wood. also there is a par 5 on the course I play alot, shaped like a W, you can't reach the middle peak with a driver, so I hit 3 wood to the bottom and a flat lie, 3 wood over the peak to the bottom for another flat lie and wedge to he green.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

As far as hitting your 3w on par 4's, if you can't get it inside 150 then you need to hit your driver. I was told this a long time ago and have stuck by it every since. Just because it is a par 4, don't pull your driver. If the par 4 is over 400 and you hit your 3w 220, then having 180 into a par 4 is probably not going to net very good results. Chances are, if can't hit your 3w over 220, then you don't have a club that you can hit reliably 180

Bryan A

I don't see why you can't hit a club realiably 180 just because you don't hit the 3W more than 220. If the alternative is to hit a drive into the woods, I know what I'd take.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't see why you can't hit a club realiably 180 just because you don't hit the 3W more than 220. If the alternative is to hit a drive into the woods, I know what I'd take.

Of course if your driver is going to go in the woods then yes a 3w is obviously the choice to make...that is a no brainer. But if you can pull an iron or hybrid out of your bag and hit it on the green the majority of the time from 180, then you have a pretty descent swing. If you have a pretty descent swing, then your 3w should go further than 220 with roll and everything....this is just based off of all of the golfers in my area. 220 just isn't that long with a 3w, IMO.

My post is for the guys that can hit their 3w and hit their driver as well, but choose not to hit the driver. I am not referring to people that "have" to hit their 3w because they can't hit their driver. Maybe I should have said 200 yards...does that make it any better? I think it was Hank Haney that said, "If you can't hit your 3w inside of 150, there is no benefit in taking it off the tee." This is assuming that you can hit both the driver and 3w. When I say reliably, I don't mean you hit the same slice every time, or hit a hook every time. By reliably I mean, when you hit the club from 180 out, you hit the green more than not.

Bryan A

Of course hitting the driver will always be better if you don't spray the ball all over the place, but that is the problem many have with the driver, accuracy. Not everyone can hit their driver 275+ and 3 wood 250+. They may have a good swing and hit a 3 wood 220 and use a 7 wood or 4i from 180 yards out.

I always get as close to the green as possible, though I'd rather be 115 yards from the hole than 90. On a hole where I can't get closer than 115 on the tee shot, I'd rather hit a 3 wood with confidence and have a 5i in than a driver I know I don't hit as consistently for an 8i in.

It depends on the hole really, more than the yardage. If I can hit a 250 drive into a 350 yard par 4, great, that leaves me with a 52º into the green. If the fairway is narrow however, and a mishit in either direction can cost a lot, I won't use it. If the fairway is wide with lots of forgiveness on both sides, I don't mind using it.
My driver is very much on and off. Some days I hit it beautifully, others it's a slice-o-rama and doing nothing but damage.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm just wondering how far you all hit your 3-wood off a tee and what degree it is? Also, how often do you use it to tee and what situations?

Off a tee, no wind, flat terrain, average conditions, I hit my 3 wood about 285. 10-15 MPH wind behind me, I'm around 300 yards. Into that same wind, maybe 260ish.

I used to hit it on narrower holes or just to keep it short of hazards. But now, after reading Tiger's book, I use it a lot more frequently. He said he almost always hit 3W off the tee on downwind holes because he could carry it almost the same distance as his driver and be a lot more accurate with it. Made sense to me so I started trying it, and what do you know? He was right!!! Sometimes, my 3W doesn't behave as well as it should though and I may end up being more accurate with my driver. Have to adjust on those days and leave her in the bag. Hate when that happens though because the game is much easier when she's working.
Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

As far as hitting your 3w on par 4's, if you can't get it inside 150 then you need to hit your driver. I was told this a long time ago and have stuck by it every since. Just because it is a par 4, don't pull your driver. If the par 4 is over 400 and you hit your 3w 220, then having 180 into a par 4 is probably not going to net very good results. Chances are, if can't hit your 3w over 220, then you don't have a club that you can hit reliably 180

Yeah this is right on. I broke my driver (Taylormade quad, 10.5* from a few years back) last week, and hit my best round ever two days later only hitting my 3w (15*) off the tee. I put it 230-250, 260 or so here and there. The only times it hurt me were on the two 420+ par 4s at my home course. One of those I put hybrid just off the fringe after one of my 230 yd 3 woods, but the other I hit skulled and pushed an ugle 5 iron from 180+, and took a 6 which was the only blemish on the back nine, 8 pars and that double...

Other than those kind of holes, the 3 wood is so much better for me. The slightly off shots end up a bit short and usually on or near the fairway, instead of well into the trees or OB like with the driver. Even on the par 5s, I can hit my hybrid consistently 200-210, so 240 with the 3 wood and then 200 with the hybrid puts me inside 150 on anything but a super long tour style over 600 yard par 5.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

there some big three woods in here but i guess were not average around here and i can't talk cause i am 260 270 of the tee 245 carry for fairway via track man but my three wood has a stock shaft and balloons just a bit and doesn't roll out for me i love the 3 wood of the tee but also love me driver as i hit just over 65 % of fairways so that is decently accurate

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Of course hitting the driver will always be better if you don't spray the ball all over the place, but that is the problem many have with the driver, accuracy. Not everyone can hit their driver 275+ and 3 wood 250+. They may have a good swing and hit a 3 wood 220 and use a 7 wood or 4i from 180 yards out.

I understand if your driver is off on a given day...everyone has those days. All things being equal, you don't gain much if you can't hit your 3w inside 150. If you can hit greens with a 5i on a consistent basis, then that is great...the majority of people can't. I heard Nick Faldo say once, and he was talking about the Pros, that "if you can hit the green with a long iron, you have hit a great shot." Like I said, if you can't hit your driver, that is one thing. I am saying, all things being equal.

• Upvote 1

Bryan A

I usually get mine from 230-250 if I make solid contact. I've been hitting my driver straight as far as 290 lately so my 3 wood hasn't seen much activity. I only really use it for second shots on more open par 5's because I don't have a ton of accuracy with it yet so on tighter par 5's I usually opt for my 5 wood or 3 iron unless I know I can reach it in 2 easily with my 3 wood. If not, I just hit something else for more accuracy.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

I understand if your driver is off on a given day...everyone has those days. All things being equal, you don't gain much if you can't hit your 3w inside 150. If you can hit greens with a 5i on a consistent basis, then that is great...the majority of people can't. I heard Nick Faldo say once, and he was talking about the Pros, that "if you can hit the green with a long iron, you have hit a great shot." Like I said, if you can't hit your driver, that is one thing. I am saying, all things being equal.

Yea, I get your point. My point is really that I have a lot more confidence in hitting a 160-80 approach shot to the green than the driver off the tee. Recently, the 4i has been my best club. If I can get on the fairway with a good lie, I'll have a good chance. I may not hit the green all the time, but not too far off. If I miss on the good side, I'll have a chance for a up and down. If I mishit my driver and find some thick stuff, a hazard, tree, bad lie, bad stance etc. I may not get on the green even with a short iron.

Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!