IGNORED

3-Wood off a tee

enduro
Note: This thread is 4883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

220yards with 13.5 degrees, tight hole or not I always prefer to pull the big guy!!! or use a 3 iron for tee off. I only use 3w from fairway.

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

Yea, I get your point. My point is really that I have a lot more confidence in hitting a 160-80 approach shot to the green than the driver off the tee. Recently, the 4i has been my best club. If I can get on the fairway with a good lie, I'll have a good chance. I may not hit the green all the time, but not too far off. If I miss on the good side, I'll have a chance for a up and down. If I mishit my driver and find some thick stuff, a hazard, tree, bad lie, bad stance etc. I may not get on the green even with a short iron.

I understand what you mean. You just don't see very many people that can hit a 4i and can't hit their driver. The long irons are some of the hardest clubs in the bag to hit.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently switched to hitting my 3 wood off the tee because I picked up a bad slice again with the driver. I've been getting 200-210 with roll.

In an old bag:

Driver Hibore XLS 10.5*
3 Wood V Steel 15*
Hybrid 3DX 20*Irons Ta5 3 - PWWedge CG10 56 degreePutter Classic 1

For some odd reason, the Driver has ALWAYS been the best club in my bag - and when I was starting out, it was BY FAR the best club in my bag. The straightest, longest, everything.

If you told me to hit a 3W off the tee, I'd probably hit it terrible...but the driver, I'm very consistent with.

My 3W goes about 210 when I hit it really well though.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Very rarely do I use a 3 wood off the tee for a par 5.. I prefer to pull out the HAMMER as i proceed to launch it 550 yards with in 2 feet of the cup............... POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Sorry .... I was currently watching jack hamms infomercial where he bombs his drive over the mountains and the ball somehow sounds like a fighter jet in flight and couldn't resist... haha

I have a 13* Taylor Made Burner TP. I hit it 240-250 off the tee and it has been a bit of a goto club for me this year if the driver gets squirrely.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

This thread is the story of my life. Yesterday I played 9 and pushed the first 3 holes right with the driver. So I pulled out the 3wood for #4 and hit it just as far as my driver. In fact, other than when I really crank a driver, I can't see much difference in yardage. Maybe that just shows how poorly I swing the driver .

Obviously, if I make good contact with the driver, I can hit it further than my 3 wood. I'd estimate I'm hitting the 3 wood 230-250, maybe a little further when I rip one. Bottom line is I'm confident when I step up to the tee box with a 3wood or 5 wood. I'm retiring my driver until I can sort it out at the range.

Funny thing is, I did this same thing last summer. I couldn't hit the driver so I started using my 3w (which I just as far as everyone hitting drivers). Well, at the beginning of this season I pulled out the driver just for grins. I was hitting it straight and long, then just in the last few weeks, I started pushing it right along with a slice or pull on occasion. I love this game!

This thread is the story of my life. Yesterday I played 9 and pushed the first 3 holes right with the driver. So I pulled out the 3wood for #4 and hit it just as far as my driver. In fact, other than when I really crank a driver, I can't see much difference in yardage. Maybe that just shows how poorly I swing the driver

I am in the same boat. I hit my 3w around 250(no BS, I really hit it that far) and when I hit my driver, it goes about the same distance. Obviously, there is something up with my swing and that is what I am trying to fix at the moment. My thinking is, if I can hit my 3w 250, I should be able to hit my driver 270...don't you think? That is what kills me. I would be freaking tickled to death to hit my driver 270. I am working on it though.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty confident with my driver-lately it's been 265-295 and ending up in the general area of where I aim. But I hit a draw with the driver and the amount of right to left movement is subject to a certain level of variance shot to shot and day to day. When the target area is small and/or the hole isn't particularly long my 906F2 15* is probably the most consistent club in my bag. 235-265 and really, really strait. I was playing a shorter course last week and tweaked my back on the 3rd hole so I put the driver and its longer, faster swing in the bag. I stuck with the 3 wood off the tee the rest of the round and my score didn't suffer, although the driver really starts to help when courses run 6500 yards or more.

I will be playing a par 60 course with just under 4,000 yds total in a few weeks. There are only 5 par 4's and all the rest are Par 3's of all sorts. I am hitting my 3 wood off the tee really well lately at the range (about 200-240) and plan to pull that club out most of the day when I hit the course. My 3 wood is by far my favorite club.
In the Bag
Driver: Sumo SQ 5000 460cc 11.5
3-Wood: 2007 Burner 15°
Hybrid: Walter Hagen T3 (-3 23°), (-4 26°) (-5 29°)
Irons: Walter Hagen T3 (4-PW)Putter: Walter Hagen T3 Mallet PutterBalls: GamerGlove: Dri-Fit Elite

I use my 3 wood offthe tee's, alot on short par 4's and its a mental thing for me, i think, I seem to not bare down as much with a 3 wood as for Degree aim not sure its a cheap wood, as iam upgrading next year, May go with the Wilson Staff FYbirds, I played with a guy that had a set and he's an average golfer and man do they seem to help his Game?

I play a Taylor Made V-Steel 13 degree tour spoon model and I love it. Normally goes 275-280, but I can get a little more out of it when necessary. It's not much more consistant than the driver so I'll use it more often when there's trouble 300 yds or more of the tee and I want to lay back. In either case, I'll typically choke-down an inch on the grip when playing it off the tee to help this. It depends on the course, but on average I'll usually play that or the hybrid (much more accurate) 2 or 3 times a round from the tee box.

Playing regularly again after a few years off. Started playing in 1999.
Whats in the bag?
Driver: R7 425 9.5*, Reax 65 shaft
3 Wood: V Steel 13* tour-spoon, M.A.S.^2 shaft
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19*, Dynamic Gold shaft Irons: DCI 762 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold shaftsWedges: Watson VI, 52.08, 56.14,...

I almost always play a 3 wood off the tee unless it is a very wide forgiving fairway. My driver only gives me and extra 20-30 yards and is very inconsistent but it is getting better. I will hit my 3 wood about 220 off the tee but for some reason I can hit it longer off the fairway, about 240 ish with a good lie. Today I actually made my first Par 5 in 2. It played about 505 yards to the middle of the green and had a rather large forgiving fairway so I thought I would try the driver. Put my drive about 265 in the middle of the fairway. The green is protected by water on the right but I decided its not everyday I get to try for a eagle putt. So I hit a 3 wood and nailed it down the left side of the fairway. Saw it land but didn't see it roll. I knew I was close to the green but no sure where. I thought that worked well so I dropped 3 more balls and decided to see I I could do it again. (I was playing by myself with no one behind me). Out of the 4 I hit 2 ended up on the green, one on the fringe and one about 15 yards short. Of course I 3 putted all of them for pars but it was a great feeling. Sorry for the long story but I had to tell some people who understand. The wife just gives me the courtesy " Good for you Honey" when you can tell she really could care less.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

I can usually hit mine pretty good for the most part. Off a tee I can hit mine @ 260-270. Its a 15*. But my home track is wide and long so the driver is my weapon of choice most of the time.

In my bag:
Driver: Sumo SQ 9.5* (SQ DyMo 9.5*...coming soon)
3W: Deep Red 15* (SQ DyMo 15*...coming soon)
Irons 3-P: AP2
Wedges : 52*, 56*, 60* SV TourFlat Stick: White Hot XG #1/ g5i Craz-e (...leaving soon)Ball: Z-URC

I'll hit a 3 wood (use a 4wood) only if my 2nd shot ends up 150 or less. 4wd goes about 200 to 220ish.

I almost always play a 3 wood off the tee unless it is a very wide forgiving fairway. My driver only gives me and extra 20-30 yards and is very inconsistent but it is getting better. I will hit my 3 wood about 220 off the tee but for some reason I can hit it longer off the fairway, about 240 ish with a good lie. Today I actually made my first Par 5 in 2. It played about 505 yards to the middle of the green and had a rather large forgiving fairway so I thought I would try the driver. Put my drive about 265 in the middle of the fairway. The green is protected by water on the right but I decided its not everyday I get to try for a eagle putt. So I hit a 3 wood and nailed it down the left side of the fairway. Saw it land but didn't see it roll. I knew I was close to the green but no sure where. I thought that worked well so I dropped 3 more balls and decided to see I I could do it again. (I was playing by myself with no one behind me). Out of the 4 I hit 2 ended up on the green, one on the fringe and one about 15 yards short. Of course I 3 putted all of them for pars but it was a great feeling. Sorry for the long story but I had to tell some people who understand. The wife just gives me the courtesy " Good for you Honey" when you can tell she really could care less.

I got you beat. 2 on, 4 putt.

Man my group was grilling me in the clubhouse.

Tour Burner 9.5 Aldila NV65R
MP-57 3-PW R300
588 SW 54
588 LW 60

I was using my 3 wood off a tee a lot until recently and have started using my driver again. I use the 3 wood for shorter par 4's or if the hole has tighter fairways. I hit the 3 wood about 210-215 on average off the tee, farthest ive hit it is about 255 but that was with a lucky bounce off the cart path which probably gave me an extra 25 yards or so.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I don't use mine much off the tee. I tend to hit quite straight with the driver. I will break it out if a misshit to one side that goes too long will end up with trouble (water or such).

Saved me on my last round when I hooked one with the 3 wood and ended up just short of the water. That with a driver would have been some extra strokes :)

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Note: This thread is 4883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!