IGNORED

open shoulders vs. square.

Note: This thread is 5336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you set your Shoulders when aligning with your Irons?

• Square Stance - Square Shoulders
    • Square Stance - Open Shoulders
    • Open Stance - Open Shoulders

Hi,
i would like to discuss shoulder alignment - when setting up with irons specifically.
I have found that having a square stance with slightly open shoulders has dramatically improved by iron ball striking- and more important helped me with the dreaded twice a round shank. however, like any student of the swing, I am weary of bad habits etc... I am interested to know what you all do
I know many pros use open shoulders or even open stances Fred Couples comes to mind.
curious what the consensus is here! I am searching to build a solid Iron game right now. Is it Ok to have a square stance and open shoulders??
thanks
Andrew

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

• Administrator
I kind of wanted "open stance, square shoulders" as an option.

I think it varies for everyone. I tend to be pretty square all around, but it's better to be slightly open with my feet and slightly closed with my shoulders than the other way around.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

can I change the poll? I would. I desperately trying to keep the hosel out of play and messing with my shoulders seems to help - any thoughts Iacas??

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

I chose square shoulders + square stance but honestly my stance tends to be a little open at times.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I too tend to be open stance, square shoulders. I have issues with getting back to the left, so setting my feet open helps.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I chose square/square, but I mostly play closed/closed as my normal shot is a draw.

G10 9* Proforce V2 HL S
G10 15.5* TFC 129 S
G10 21*, 24* TFC 129 S Hybrids
MP-57 5-PW DG S300
52* MP-R 56*.11, 60*.7 SM Vokey Newport Detour 2.5 Tour Ix, PRO V1x

Square/Square here

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

im normally square stance, although a tiny bit open, and square shoulders other than when i am using nine iron/wedges into a green then for some reason it just feels natural to open up my stance up a bit and my shoulders!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I used to play square square, but it led to pulls and an inability to get my hips through naturally. Now I play open feet, square shoulders. I'm not sure what my hips are doing, but I'd bet they are slightly less open than my feet are. This gives me a much more natural move through the ball and I don't feel like I get stuck posting up on my downswing trying to find some way to get my hips to turn through.

Interestingly, I failed a facebook Golf swing IQ quiz question regarding alignment where it said :

"The image of the golfer on the left has his feet, knees, hips, and shoulders all aligned parallel left of the target. This is the best way to align for all players." True or False. I didn't know how to answer so I guessed the guy was looking for True.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

for years i played with a slightly closed stance and open shoulders just because it was what felt "natural" to me. about a month ago, i decided it was high time i adopt a more 'correct' golf stance and go for square/square. after some adjusting, i was hitting the ball further, straighter, and purer than i ever have. had a round last weekend where i only missed one fairway the whole round, and even that miss wasn't by much. square/square ftw.

I put open-open. I try to set up my stance a bit open as my preferred shot is a fade because I feel more control over it. My natural shot is a draw however so whenever I need one of those, I just step up and swing away.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
I like the square-square school of thought, and try to subscribe to that. But my question for anyone whose shoulder and stance lines aren't parallel is: which line does the swing follow?

I ask because I struggle with my shoulders getting closed to my stance if I don't pay attention to myself on the course, and i absolutely cannot move the ball right to left with this setup, but I always wondered if its because my swing is trying to trace my foot line (and i get over the top) or trying to follow my shoulders and i come through the zone open?

Not to stray from the poll, but I've always wonder this.

Thanks.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

I don't do this because I did not learn it correctly and I too far into my swing to change now. But Moe Norman set up with his lead arm slightly above the trailing arm. This created a good spine tilt at address that was the same as impact. This set up position made the shoulders slightly closed to the target line. If I get the gumption to change anything about my swing it would be getting my set up position more like Moe's

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Note: This thread is 5336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!