IGNORED

Rule 88 and the PGA Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The difference? They don't mail it in. They grind. I've grinded when my swing's gone AWOL.

Well according to him he did grind it out, but I didn't watch the round I assume you did.

That being said, I know there is a fine line between grinding it out and staying out of the way of your fellow competitors. We've all grinded, but based on your comments to this thread I can assure you haven't mentally been in the place I am referring. You are lucky. I am talking about the place where you stand over the ball and see out of bounds 3 fairways over to the left and guard against it so violently that you hit it in the water 3 fairways to the right.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Well according to him he did grind it out, but I didn't watch the round I assume you did.

Yes, I did.

That being said, I know there is a fine line between grinding it out and staying out of the way of your fellow competitors.

That's not what John was doing. If anything, his behavior is more of a distraction to his fellow competitors. Just like when he takes whacks at balls rolling off the green.

We've all grinded, but based on your comments to this thread I can assure you haven't mentally been in the place I am referring. You are lucky. I am talking about the place where you stand over the ball and see out of bounds 3 fairways over to the left and guard against it so violently that you hit it in the water 3 fairways to the right.

John wasn't in that place either. He was in the "I don't care" place.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem now is that his muscle is wasting away as when there's no fat left, the body starts stripping muscle. With his diet and smoking he could have a heart attack quite easily. When I saw John he looked totally exhausted...I hope he gets in shape for PGA Championship.

What JD needs is someone to look after him properly, someone to feed him apple pie at night instead of beer.

I agree he mailed it in and the performance was a disappointment to fans and tournament organizers.

*Cough* Two Majors *Cough*

:P
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

I'd love to be able to party as hard as JD did all those years and still turn in a half ass'd round of 88, especially on tour

If anything he just needs to buckle down and not squander the talent he's been given.

I dont see why its that big of deal. He had a bad round. At least he finished unlike Michelle Wie who QUIT. I respect someone who finishes rather than a quitter.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I dont see why its that big of deal. He had a bad round. At least he finished unlike Michelle Wie who QUIT. I respect someone who finishes rather than a quitter.

You didn't watch the round. The most disgusting thing about it was that he did quit. Just because he finished doesn't mean he didn't quit.

Me, Butchie, I'm still just about the only guy who's ever stood up to John. And what'd he do? Whine about me calling him out. Now he's got that sycophant Smith... good luck!

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

mailing it in during a PGA Tour event

I've read this several times in your posts on this thread. What does that mean exactly?

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

88 is a badddd number.. why would you want a rule 88? why not a rule 87?

I couldn't find a stat for average par on all PGA courses in a season, but I added up 54 of them from the hardest courses on tour list and it was around 69.8. Round up to 70 and a score of 88 would be bogey golf.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

Did Tiger mail it in in 2006 when he shot an 81? Seems like a bigger failure to me for him to shoot 81 than Daly to shoot 88.

Mailing it in simply means giving up, quitting, not caring anymore, etc.

Did Tiger mail it in in 2006 when he shot an 81? Seems like a bigger failure to me for him to shoot 81 than Daly to shoot 88.

Well, you would have to consider the condition of the British Open that year and the relative average score. It was raining and very windy. Not many players shot below 75 under those conditions.

Contrast that with Daly's 88 under sunny, calm, ideal conditions. You be the judge.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!