IGNORED

Top Flite Gamers

Note: This thread is 5406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been away for a while so i thought I would check in and make a post or two.

I have read a lot recently about the Top Flite Gamers so for kicks I thought I would give them a try. I usually play Z-Stars and I had fairly low expectations for the ball.

This evening I went out with my youngest daughter and played a few holes. I hit three Gamers off of the first tee and they were 10 yards longer than the 3 Z-Stars I hit right after them.

I then went to the 100 yard marker and dropped 6 Gamers 5 yards behind the marker (I hit a full SW 105 yards). All 6 of them were well struck and all six either spun back a yard or two or dropped dead on the green. I was thoroughly impressed as I drove the cart up to the green.

When I picked up the balls, the covers on all of them had been sheered off. Not just scuffed but shredded where the club face made impact. In fact the "Top" in "Top Flite" was totally removed from one the balls. The balls could never be played again. Even if you pick off all of the shredded pieces, the dimples are gone. The balls do not even look round.

So then I took the other 6 Gamers from the dozen and went back into the fairway to the 150 marker. I Dropped them 10 yards behind the marker (I hit an 8I 160). 5 of the six I hit were well struck. Hit the green with all of them and the 5 I hit well released about 1/2 a yard and the one I hit a little chunky rolled out 10 feet.

Again the balls were badly scuffed. I would deem them not quite shredded but badly scuffed. I would use the six balls hit w/ the 8I again. For kicks I took these same 6 balls and hit full PWs from 135 and this was the death blow for each one of them. Totally ruined.

While they are $20 per dozen I would not consider them to be a good value since they have no longevity. A dozen balls would barely last a full 18. I will stick with my Z-Stars for now.

Glock 17

Interesting....thanks for sharing your results.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

They hold up well enough for me but then again I hit my sand wedge about 85 yards so I am not striking the ball with anywhere near the force that you are. I've played a full round with the same ball, picking off a few shreads. Maybe they are a good, economical, 3-piece ball for slower swing speeds than yours?

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

They hold up well enough for me but then again I hit my sand wedge about 85 yards so I am not striking the ball with anywhere near the force that you are. I've played a full round with the same ball, picking off a few shreads. Maybe they are a good, economical, 3-piece ball for slower swing speeds than yours?

I think you may be correct. I have heard so many good things about them that they must be pretty good. I will try to snap some pix today.

Glock 17

For a twenty dollar ball, they ain't too bad, but I believe you are correct that they are less durable. Perhaps Callaway expects them to be lost before the user notices they're shredded.

I use them occasionally, and they do perform pretty well. I will have to look at their longevity. I too, only hit my SW about 85 yds, so I'm not in your league...

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I've got a vokey 56 wedge that i hit about 100 yards, i had a similar experience with the TF Gamers, not nearly as exaggerated as your shreddings, but I was still fairly disappointed. Switched to the Bridgestone B330 and havent looked back.

I've been trying to play these guys recently and I love the way they perform. However, I do have distances right at your mark and I did notice pieces do shear off the ball. I have played only one z-star and after one great drive, I watched someone walk up to it and hit it while I screamed at them, never getting a chance to really feel one out. I have made it 18 with a single ball being totally chewed up, getting worse and worse scoring as the round went on as my putts bobbled more and more on the greens. Maybe I should stop being cheap and switch out balls once in a while

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The lack of cover durability is why I won't purchase the Top Flite Gamers anymore. One or two full wedge shots and the cover has a fair amount of damage.

The TaylorMade TP Black or Nike One Tour has much better durability and better performance. The Nike's are expensive(even though they're on sale) but the TaylorMade's are only $2 a piece(on sale).

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

i have never had problems with top flit you might try a 3 piece ball for you
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I can usually get about one round out of a ball with the gamers. I generally play a pro v1 but a lot of times I will play the gamers when I go out to play 9 in the evenings. If you hit a lot of spin shots the covers do get worked but for 20 bones they are a decent ball.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

This is weird, the Gamers have a suralyn cover rather than urethane and they shouldnt shred, maybe the paint or coating is just coming off.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I tried them last year and though I don't shred the ball with my wedges, I thought they were okay but susceptible to cart path road rash. I actually ended up liking some less expensive 2 piece balls better so I haven't bought any more.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Note: This thread is 5406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!