IGNORED

Anyone *not* bag any fairway woods?

Note: This thread is 5126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like I can thread a needle with my 4 wood. Would definitely not give that baby up. More forgiveness than a hybrid and longer, just not so good for those messy lies.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't carrying one until I picked up my Titleist 906F2 15*, best fairway wood I've ever hit. I still keep the 16* Cobra Baffler Hybrid in the trunk in case the course calls for it, and sometimes carry both.

I bag a 3W but rarely use it as i often find my self laying up on par 5s. The only time I use it is for a long uphill par 4 at my course where I hit 3W off the tee and 3W to the green. I have a 3 iron and will buy a 18/19 degree H to fill in the gap between my 3W and 3i.

• 8 months later...
No fairway woods for me... I've just never been able to hit them. Maybe when I'm better I'll reinvest in them. As in my sig, It's driver-to-hybrid for me, and I like it that way.

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

I tried a hybrid to replace my fw woods...results not good.

I do better with the fw woods staying and the hybrids replacing my 3&4 irons.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I got on a 537 yard par 5 today in 2. Into a breeze. Second shot was (235 carry to clear water) 256 to the middle. Two-putt birdie.

You will NEVER do that with your "no fairway woods in the bag" sets.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I carry a 3W 15.5 and a 20° Hybrid (instead of my 3i) I hit my 3W off the tee on shorter par4's and the Hybrid on long par3's and use both of them from the fairway on long par 4's or par 5's depending on distance from the green.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Count me firmly in the in-between group.

I absolutely crush my 3W, about 270y and straight as an arrow, off the tee, but cant hit it straight for snot off the ground. Off the ground, I'm 50/50 at best at keeping the ball in play. I actually hit my 3W off the tee so well and so deep, I really have no use for a driver other than for those extra 30 yards or so on some longer holes.

On the other hand, I've tried to get into hybrids, but i just can't do it. I can not hit the dang things for some reason. I can't hit them constantly off the tee or the ground. I duck hook the snot out of them about half the time.

Thus, I rotate my clubs around every time I play trying to get something I like put together and/or based on the course. Sometimes its no driver, but 3W and 3H. Sometimes Driver and 3W, sometimes Driver and 2H, etc...

So far, no consistent combination other than 3W off the tee and no hybrids...which feel like a waste to me because that means if I am outside of 210y (3-iron distance for me) I can't reach the green consistently which sucks.

Whats in my Four5....

10.5 degree R7 460
Great Big Bertha 3W
Bazooka Geo Max 3H MP-32 3 - PW 588 Raw Tour Grind 52 degree 588 Raw Tour Grind 56 degree BC1

I got on a 537 yard par 5 today in 2. Into a breeze. Second shot was (235 carry to clear water) 256 to the middle. Two-putt birdie.

Most people don't hit a 3 wood 256 yards. I barely hit mine 220 (with a proper one is should be able to hit 240). But Jay Bird's point is correct, i don't think a 1H will ever give you that distance.

I was thinking of dumping my driver all together (or just getting a different driver I can hit). I'm in the fairway about 65% of the time with it, but I'm in the fairway about 90% with my 15* FY-brid and only about 10-20 yards shorter it seems. I love that 3 wood, hit WAY better than my 3 iron hybrid off the ground.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What I play...
Driver - Burner Draw
Fairway - FY-Brid 3 Wood
Hybrid - Burner Rescue 19*Irons - R7 Draw 4-SW/LWWedge - CG14 Black 50*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - TP RedBag - Stand Bag=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Well I have both!!!!! I have a 3w and a 3h. I find myself going to the hybrid far more than the 3w. I am far more consistent with my hybrid than my 3w.

With that said, I am a little stubborn when it comes to giving up on things.....I will not take my 3w out of the bag out of pride and respect for the game. since I have know of golf (for the past 24 years) I have always had a specific set in mind...D, 3w, 5w, 3-9, pw, sw, putter....Since then, clubs have changed and I now play D, 3w, 3h, 4-9, pw, gw, sw, lw, puter. I picked up a few more wedges, but it was a tough decision to let go of the 5w, in search for a hybrid. I have a romanticized view of fairway woods....it's part of golf history...hybrids will be, so for me I have a balanced bag.

The only reason I actually made the change was the Cobra DWS/TWS series....these have a deep face, that allows you to make solid contact any where. I have teed off with it, played from the deck, the rough, and deep rough without much issues (other than my swing).

I highly recommend the Cobra DWS hybrids if that is the route you choose...
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Right now, I have no fairway woods in the bag. I just use my 3h and 4h. I tried last season(my first season playing) using a 3w and 5w and the outcome was absolutely terrible. Maybe next year I will pick up a 5w and see what happens.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I bag a 3 wood+ 13*. I feel I am the opposite of everyone else. I can really get a good hit off the deck but off the tee I cant find the right position. I did take the 5 wood out and bad a 3 Hybrid at 19*

I've never been a huge fan of hybrids. I just don't like the way they look at address but everybody has their own opinion and you should definitely use whatever gets your scores the lowest.

I agree with you 100%. When I first started golfing, hybrids weren't really around and I never took a liking to the way hybrids look. I've actually never even hit a hybrid before because I had no reason to. I was comfortable with my 3 and 5 wood.

I used to always have a 3 wood and 5 wood in my bag. The 3 wood is what put me at birdie on many par 5's. Between my 5 and 3 wood and 3 iron, I feel like I have most places covered.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

There was a point in time when I first started playing golf in the late '90s when I didnt carry any fairway woods. At that time I couldnt hit them anyways, so why bother carrying them?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 5126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!