IGNORED

possible to have good swing but not make a divot?

Note: This thread is 3819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stop thinking so much about your swing. just hit the ball and the divot will take care of itself.

Exactly..forcing yourself to go down after it just leads to a whole host of swing issues. That is why I disagree with the Tour Striker.. Had a wonderful teacher who said goal was to pick the ball and have in divot,,,or if you have a divot ..should be a bacon strip with a semicolon look. Those huge gouges you see on tour are usually wedges that they intentionally get steep on to create a lot of spin and more height, Again, bad idea to copy pros as models at times.. Do your own swing..that is why a single golf method is a very very bad idea. We are all built differently...why have one golf model.,..why? Why? Learn a good grip, and let the swing develop from the grip. Alla Mickey Wright ,,,and possibly Ben Hogan..imo

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

• Administrator
Learn a good grip, and let the swing develop from the grip.

This kind of advice simply doesn't work for most people IMO. I can show 100 people the best grip in the world (btw, what is a good grip? Players on the PGA Tour use hundreds of variations - some strong, some weak. Some more in the fingers, some not?) and very few will ever become a single digit player with no other help.

Do you feel otherwise? And if so, what do you make of the fact that almost every PGA Tour player has an instructor?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The driver is struck on a downward arc for a large percentage of good players.

That is true, and this is OT a bit but that does not mean that it is what they should be doing.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

[RIGHT][/RIGHT][quote name="iacas" url="/t/28386/possible-to-have-good-swing-but-not-make-a-divot/54#post_907216"] This kind of advice simply doesn't work for most people IMO. I can show 100 people the best grip in the world (btw, what is a good grip? Players on the PGA Tour use hundreds of variations - some strong, some weak. Some more in the fingers, some not?) and very few will ever become a single digit player with no other help. Do you feel otherwise? And if so, what do you make of the fact that almost every PGA Tour player has an instructor? [/quote] I do feel otherwise,,I deal with amateur golfers like myself..not PGA tour players.. You want to learn a grip that never lets the club "loosen" in your swing. A grip that will allow u to work the ball. A grip that will create a good club shaft even with elbow plane in the transition., my game improved dramatically once I learned a more efficient grip and proper pressures. I was always searching for a feel..for a repeatable feel of the club...took me a long time..a super long time..but I got it now.... I was able to beat the super steep OTT cast... I searched and I searched ..and had a lot of help..but it payed off in dividends.. I'm just happy where I can now look at my swing and feel like all the hard work is paying off..for me, it started in learning how to apply grip pressures and how to retain them..

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

• Administrator

I do feel otherwise,,I deal with amateur golfers like myself..not PGA tour players.. You want to learn a grip that never lets the club "loosen" in your swing. A grip that will allow u to work the ball. A grip that will create a good club shaft even with elbow plane in the transition., my game improved dramatically once I learned a more efficient grip and proper pressures. I was always searching for a feel..for a repeatable feel of the club...took me a long time..a super long time..but I got it now.... I was able to beat the super steep OTT cast... I searched and I searched ..and had a lot of help..but it payed off in dividends.. I'm just happy where I can now look at my swing and feel like all the hard work is paying off..for me, it started in learning how to apply grip pressures and how to retain them..

You've made my point for me - there's a lot more to golf than "get a good grip and let the swing develop from there" or whatever you said. Good golf swings most often require a good amount of work.

You've found a feel that works for you but it's highly unlikely to work for even a large minority of other players let alone a majority or all others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks Isacs... I see that now,,searching the net,,,there is a million ways to play this game. I, happy I found one that I like and I believe in,, that is the secret to improving in golf..believing and trusting

Note: This thread is 3819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!