IGNORED

Should a test be required before playing public course?

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a test before you can play golf?

• Yes. Basic rules & etiquette test + ability test (score under 120)
    • basic rules + etiquette test would be nice...
    • Not a test, but a booklet hand-out with the basics should do
    • no way, even if course and our enjoyment suffers...

up for discussion - should everybody be tested for basic education in rules / etiquette / proper behavior on a golf course before he/she is allowed to play?

Wonder what you think...

We started discussing it while talking about un-repaired ball marks and divots and some guys admitted - they simply didn't know they were supposed to do it.

Better knowledge of the game, i.e rules etiquette would be nice but giving someone a test or book doesn't ensure us that they will follow the rules. People everyday drive drunk or speed and were given tests in order to drive and were told these are rules break them and loose your license or even go to jail and yet they continue to do it. So unfortunately I don't think a test or book will detour people from being themselves. I would hope common sense would take over and people start taking care of things I just don't see it happening. Obviously not all of us don't rake traps or repair divots but some do. I think its just a slow people teaching people process that will get others to do what most of us already do.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

That's how it works in Norway. You are not allowed onto a course without a beginners course and a membership in some club. This probably raises the bar for those considering starting with golf, but at the same time we don't get people with no idea on how to behave out there.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's a no for me. Is there any other sport that makes noobs take an exam before playing? The question is probably routed in the misplaced elitism that pervades this sport. It would be a shame if the sport was the preserve of the conforming few to the exclusion of others. I'm very well aware of the rules and the etiquette required, but if I was forced to take a test first I would not at all be interested.

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

A big difference from most sports is that you are responsible for the care of the golf course, and you occupy parts of the play area that people coming behind you also will occupy.

Divots, pitch marks, pace of play, safety. I can see lots of reasons for having a system like this.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

A big difference from most sports is that you are responsible for the care of the golf course, and you occupy parts of the play area that people coming behind you also will occupy. Divots, pitch marks, pace of play, safety. I can see lots of reasons for having a system like this.

Just because you make someone answer a few question doesn't mean they will replace every divot or repair a pitch mark. I've seen some experienced players make a total hash of repairing pitch marks!

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

It's a no for me. Is there any other sport that makes noobs take an exam before playing? The question is probably routed in the misplaced elitism that pervades this sport . It would be a shame if the sport was the preserve of the conforming few to the exclusion of others. I'm very well aware of the rules and the etiquette required, but if I was forced to take a test first I would not at all be interested.

More likely, it's rooted in the realization that the inadvertent behavior of players who don't have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the rules and etiquette can have a negative affect on the enjoyment of other players sharing the course with them. No elitism, misplaced or otherwise at all. Rather, a genuine concern for your fellow golfers.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm not so sure. I've met some stuck up prats who think the slightest violation of the rules is an earth shattering event.

Just because you make someone answer a few question doesn't mean they will replace every divot or repair a pitch mark. I've seen some experienced players make a total hash of repairing pitch marks!

True, but it does take ignorance out of the equation. I tend to believe that most people will tend to do what they've been taught is right. There will always be the exceptions who just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, but they're just that, exceptions.

In David's bag....

Wow. So many threads I've read on this forum end up at the same place: How do we get more people to play? Why are courses closing? What's going to happen to our beloved golf? How can we change the perception that golf is elitist?

And then this idea? I can tell you, as a newbie, half the comments in this thread make me never want to go to a course again. Playing to someone's arbitrary level of competency before you are allowed to play the course? How exactly does one develop this competency? Oh, that's right. "Stick to the short course, noob." OK, well the nearest short course (public) I can play is two hours away. Anybody want to throw me some gas money so I don't inconvenience you?

But then I'm encouraged again when I see that well more than half of us agreed a nice pamphlet would be a fine enough idea, and in fact, actually a marvelous idea.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Wow. So many threads I've read on this forum end up at the same place: How do we get more people to play? Why are courses closing? What's going to happen to our beloved golf? How can we change the perception that golf is elitist?

And then this idea? I can tell you, as a newbie, half the comments in this thread make me never want to go to a course again. Playing to someone's arbitrary level of competency before you are allowed to play the course? How exactly does one develop this competency? Oh, that's right. "Stick to the short course, noob." OK, well the nearest short course (public) I can play is two hours away. Anybody want to throw me some gas money so I don't inconvenience you?

But then I'm encouraged again when I see that well more than half of us agreed a nice pamphlet would be a fine enough idea, and in fact, actually a marvelous idea.

I agree from your perspective it appears we're placing barriers up that make golf seem less enticing to get involved with but you also have to consider the other players on the course.  Unless you play with consideration for others (which many new golfers don't)  it's going to ruin the experience for everyone behind you.  No one wants to play behind "noobs" that insist on playing from the tips, hack the ball 20 yards at a time and spend too much time looking for their lost balls and flirting with the cart girl.

We want new golfers to take up the sport, but if they slow down the entire course due to lack of education and proper etiquette they aren't helping the cause, they are hurting it.

Joe Paradiso

I get that, but the attitude seems to be that this is the behavior of noobs who need to be put in their place and forced to take lessons and play short courses until reaching a state of grace and worthiness. Rudeness has nothing to do with being new or old at something. I have no doubt there are veteran golfers who are just as selfish on the course as any newbie. Because a jerk is a jerk, no matter how long they've been at something or how good they are at it.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

I get that, but the attitude seems to be that this is the behavior of noobs who need to be put in their place and forced to take lessons and play short courses until reaching a state of grace and worthiness. Rudeness has nothing to do with being new or old at something. I have no doubt there are veteran golfers who are just as selfish on the course as any newbie. Because a jerk is a jerk, no matter how long they've been at something or how good they are at it.

"Noobs" who don't care about anyone else can be classified as jerks too. All we're proposing is education. If that's too much to be bothered with, then maybe someone does belong on the tennis court where at least their ignorance or lack of regard for others won't impact the course, or other players. You're right, poor behavior and selfishness has little to do with experience. Knowledge however does, and that's an easy fix. At least for those not too arrogant to recognize/acknowledge their lack thereof.

In David's bag....

True, poor golf etiquette isn't exclusive to noobs, some people just don't care how their actions impact others.  My point in another thread is that golf is missing the "Little League" level where kids can gradually learn how to play and the rules in a progressive manner that is still fun.  Kids in basketball can run with the ball, kids start out hitting a baseball off a tee football is kept very basic at the early ages.  Imagine how frustrated little kids would be in other sports if they had to play by the rules and in the same manner as the pro's.

Golf is unique, because it doesn't have comparable analogies to playing catch, 1 on 1, it's hard to get better without playing on an actual course.  Even in bowling, you can practice on a lane all you want and if you suck, it doesn't impact anyone unless you roll your ball down the wrong lane.

There are no easy answers.

Joe Paradiso

Most people I know would have no desire at all to take a test of any kind. A booklet would be fine but most of them probably wouldn't read it if you gave them one. The biggest problems we have are the people that think they can do whatever they want to do and everybody else be damned (and those people are normally not newbies). A couple of guys in my group today were complaining about some guys jumping in front of them on a hole last week. They said at first they didn't mind too much because they were a foursome and the ones that jumped in front were a twosome. Then the twosome each decided to hit multiple practice shots on the hole and took forever doing it. No booklet in the world would help those morons.

I agree with you both on that. That's why I voted for the pamphlet. Honestly, I don't know why I haven't seen such as that already. I would also agree that new players are more likely to overlook some of the finer etiquette points of the game, but more from ignorance than being a jerk. So knowledge is power. I'm more bothered by the idea that people should be restricted from playing until they reach a level of competence that suits someone else's arbitrary standard. If they are playing slow, tell the ranger. It's his job to keep them moving.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

• Administrator

And then this idea?

No, not "and then this idea."

This idea is actually quite commonplace in Europe. Additionally, this thread dates back to 2006, and until it was recently bumped, sat dormant for a number of years.

Plus, a basic tutorial on not taking divots out of the greens and where to go is often appreciated by new players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Plus, a basic tutorial on not taking divots out of the greens and where to go is often appreciated by new players.

A test would not help but a contentious and friendly starter can give everybody the important info (perhaps along with a flyer outlining a few things) for all players before every round, newbies experienced veterans alike.

A test would not help but a contentious and friendly starter can give everybody the important info (perhaps along with a flyer outlining a few things) for all players before every round, newbies experienced veterans alike.

A waste of paper that will only litter the course, having not been read.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!