IGNORED

Steve Stricker's swing

azflying
Note: This thread is 5312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You'd be suprised how far a 6 iron will go with your feet together when you're forced to use good tempo and make high quality contact

I have been working on this myself with the shag bag. I figured out my practice is more productive working with "free" balls. Lets me hit as many balls however i want and not feel like I'm blowing my range $$$.

I was also intrigued by Miller's analysis of Stricker's swing. What catches my attention is his accuracy. If you want to score low, you better be hitting it close, and he does. From 125 and in he leads the stats or is close a lot of years. Let's face it, you aint gonna make many 25 footers, I don't care who you are. Pelz says from 2ft to 10ft people go from close to 100% to less than 25% making putts. That means hitting it close for birdie and chipping it close for par. Like they say, build your game from the green backwards. I think the less exagerated wrist cock really lets Stricker send it straight to the flag more consistently.

In my bag:
Burner 9.5
G15 3 wood
Rapture 21
I-10's 3-PW Rifle 6.0 Vokey 56 Oil Can Eye2 58 Newport ProV1x

Just read this thread. I don't know really care how "he" creates tour distance, because it's very rare that play a course that's 7,400 yards. I'm more concerned about other little things in his swing that could help me.

So I decided that my one swing thought of the night in last night's league would be "Steve Stricker". Try and copy his swing the best I could. Nice, easy, tempo, balance, etc. Result? 38 and should have been a 36 (horrible green on one hole that cost me a 3-putt and one putt left literally hanging on the edge. How it didn't drop is beyond me). Even shooting a 38, that's right at 10 strokes better than my league average this season (I play this particular course terrible).

So right now, my favorite golfer is Steve Stricker.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Hitting the ball dead-center on the clubface time after time helps by creating a lot of ball speed and natural distance.

His swing is perfect for pitching and wedge shots. His distance control is so good it's ridiculous, because he doesn't bring the wrists into the swing too much especially on short shots.

I think his driver is just optimized for the best distance he can achieve. He doesn't hit his irons a really long way, so it's not like he's just bombing the ball out there.

For someone with a technically sound swing, he doesn't really hit the ball that far, so he can afford to have less wrist set and sacrifice some distance for better accuracy and more consistency.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I tried fooling around on the range yesterday with strickers motion, and i just cant do it...lol. Its hard as hell.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Stricker and also Padraig Harrington have my two favorite swings right now. It's easy to choose them because they are playing so well, but I really think they are two of the most polished swings on tour right now. And to me their swings look pretty similar, although I guess Stricker's swing is slightly more bare-bones and simplified.

Classic positions, perfectly on plane, naturally balanced, and they both hit the ball pretty far, too. I love watching Stricker hit pitches because he doesn't manipulate the club face at all. Both Stricker and Harrington are known to have spent a ton of time working and rebuilding their swings, and I really think they've managed to build near-perfect technical swings for a consistent high and straight ball flight.

One quick question: does anyone know the typical ball flight for these two? I think it is a high tiny draw, but basically almost completely straight, but I'm not 100% sure.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I love Steve's swing, he's very accurate and consistent. I've had lots of trouble with excess wrist action, looking at his swing and trying to mimic his hands helps keeping me from getting too handsy.
He's driving it 280 on average. I'd take that distance any day, I'm sure most of us in here would. He find the green 60-70% of the time also

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

dont forget that the guys on tour deloft their irons by several degrees when they hit. the 7 iron we hit is like a 5 for them when you factor in that theyre delofting it so much.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

His wrists do hinge at the top of the back swing and he creates a good amount of lag. Plus, he gets through the ball with a complete body turn. His swing, like Ernie's, is very smooth yet powerful.

I agree with you. Those three have great swings, worth copying, especially their rhythm. Most amateur golfers do not have smooth, well-balanced swings. And then they wonder why they lack consistency. If they would try to emulate Steve, Ernie, or Freddie, they would improve immensely.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I like Stricker. He has a great attitude and solid game.

Now, in regards to his swing..
I think it looks like he will be really good on the champions tour with his simplistic move.

One thing that I wonder is why has he been comeback player a couple times? Makes me wonder how that swing holds up for long periods of time to lose it, then find it, then lose it, then find it..

He has it working the best ever now, and I wish the guy the best but it's just not a swing I would try to emulate.

On that note, I like Casey's and Stenson's swings a lot but one swing I do try to emulate is Geoff Ogilvy. He has the best swing on tour imo and just watching him hit balls makes me swing with a smoother tempo.

I like Stricker. I think he's the consummate golf PROFESSIONAL. In complete control... less is more attitude and golf game. I strongly believe he will win a major. I think his game suits the US Open. What are your thoughts?

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe at the bottom of the swing arc he

Steve Stricker hits the ball far enough. He needs to become more accurate, and then he can win a Major. Byron Nelson was known for his accuracy.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Steve gives it his all right at impact. Good Wisconsin guy.
Freddy Couples builds power on equal levels from the top of his
backswing through the ball, consistent. One of the best swings
on Tour. One thing thats true were all headed toward injury or
we have developed an injury free lifelong swing. which one are u?

Note: This thread is 5312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!