IGNORED

Worst golf course in solar system

Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any place operated by American Golf sucks! They suck the profit out and don't reinvest in the course. We have had at least three courses that I know of that were operated by American Golf (Applewood, Arrowhead--beautiful scenery but were ruined by poor maintenance when AG operated for years, and Thorncreek). All three were crowded (7 min spacing to pack it in), and there were a lot of dirt patches in the fairway. Now that some other company has taken over some of these, they have gotten better.

This is exactly my experience with American Golf as well. They will buy a decent course, suck it dry for 10 years, turn it into a goat track, and sell it off to be refurbished. I try to avoid American Golf courses at all costs. At one point a few years back they made an attempt to take over all the DOD courses... thank god that didnt go through.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have just found a contender. I played the Ozark Country Club in Ozark, Arkansas last weekend. Never in my life have I seen such a poorly maintained course. The greens were in really poor shape and had so much sand on them that they were damned near unplayable with a putter. The sewage runoff from the clubhouse runs smack dab through the middle of the par 5 9th hole. I've played a few courses in Nebraska that were converted pasture land but none of them can hold a candle to Ozark in terms of sheer wretchedness.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I'm from Indianapolis, IN and the highschool my son attends holds golf tryouts at our city's worst course. The course is built within an apartment complex and there is no distinguishable fairway or rough...all grass is cut the same. Surprisingly enough my son attends the 2nd biggest and one of the nicest public high schools in the state.

I'm from Indianapolis, IN and the highschool my son attends holds golf tryouts at our city's worst course. The course is built within an apartment complex and there is no distinguishable fairway or rough...all grass is cut the same. Surprisingly enough my son attends the 2nd biggest and one of the nicest public high schools in the state.

What course is this? Though I doubt I'm in danger of accidentally playing it if it's in the middle of an apartment complex.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Sounds bad, did you have to stand on your tees so they'd go into the ground? That happened to me at a local course once...

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

Any place operated by American Golf sucks! They suck the profit out and don't reinvest in the course. We have had at least three courses that I know of that were operated by American Golf (Applewood, Arrowhead--beautiful scenery but were ruined by poor maintenance when AG operated for years, and Thorncreek). All three were crowded (7 min spacing to pack it in), and there were a lot of dirt patches in the fairway. Now that some other company has taken over some of these, they have gotten better.

American Golf runs 5 courses in SE Michigan and they are better than average. A regional thing maybe?

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

The worst courses to play ( as in no fun) are the ones where you pay a huge premium, often resort courses, and while course coditions are not poor, they are rarely worth the price, boring, slow golf way to often.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Funny someone mentioned Thorncreek in Denver... I talked to a guy that played a 9 hour round of golf because of the short spacing of the tee times... I refuse to play there on any day other than monday when people go to work... In my mind this is the worst of all aspects of golf... people love to take their time like they see the pros doing... think is that if they sink that last bogey put on 18, they don't make any money, and nobody cares... I am all for taking your time.. but play ready golf people!

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

Shepherds Hollow in Clarkston, Michigan ...we usually go there a couple time's a year until our round there this spring. The course was in bad shape it took over 6.5 hours to complete the round, that would have never been completed if the 3 groups in front of us did not walk off the course. Then we see a 7 some playing in front of us and the ranger says nothing to them, but complains about the tire of our cart being off the path!!! We went to complain in the pro shop and were told if we did not like it we did not have to come back!!! I sent an email the following day and never received any sort of response.

Big-M Golf Course south of Birmingham, AL. The fairways aren't very fair and the greens, while green, definitely make putting an adventure. When you can lose a ball in the fairway, you know the course leaves a bit to be desired, but it was run by some guy who just wanted his own golf course, so I guess I shouldn't really complain... and it was free.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are right, the game shouldn't be close. I'll be playing Tour 18 in Flower Mound while the game is playing, but will record it.

Ever played at Lantana? hehehe...Golf tournament my freshman year in high school, I shot a 106. 144 bunkers, most were half the size of the fairway.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

No one has obviously ever played Mechanicville Country Club....the place looks like it was kept up by a toddler.......atleast it did last time I was there......

Varsity_Golf
A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

My Vote goes to Green Hills "Country Club".... This club was an complete joke! We had the two put rule, if you hit the green add a two putt and that was your score. It was a fun layout, and when it opened in the 50's Billy Casper was the inagural tee time, but that might have been the last time they cut some of the greens. It was a pure goat track. And the icing on the cake was they had this crazy GM, that wanted to charge $32 to play it. Heck the Univesity Course that is imaculate is like $40 at the time.
I actually watched a fella go out in a pair of cut-offs and cowboys boots (no shirt) take off with a 24 pack of the Buds and head out with his foursome. He didnt even have clubs.

Ahh the college memories!!!!

By far for me it has to be Sand hill in Wheeling, WV. I read a glowing article about it in the newspaper about how wonderful it was that this guy built a new executive course even when people told him he couldn't. So I decided to try and play it. It turns out those people that said he couldn't build a golf course was right.

It wasn't a golf course. It was a death trap. Pretty much the whole thing was on a very steep hillside. So steep that rolling a golf cart was very likely, Despite the fact that the guy said they won't roll and to drive them at an angle down the hills ( Apparent this guy never heard about center of gravity.), Ended up returning the cart after 2 holes because I Actually had to lean off the side of the cart just to keep it from flipping.
I had to make a 10 footer for 9 on #3 partly because I was still shook up from nearly rolling down the hill with the cart.

The greens couldn't have been more than 30'x30'. One of the worst holes was a 240 yard Par 3 (Witch is of course on said steep hillside) that had OB on the left so anything short was gone. But as long as you could hit it 240 yards dead straight and land on a green the size of the hood of a car you were fine. When I asked why it was 240 Yards (Since it was supposed to be an executive course) He said it was a mistake. Witch means he actually printed the cards with the wrong par. Despite how tempting it might have been, I did not tell him that building the course in the first place was a mistake. Even though I think it's true.

I almost quit after I think the first 6 holes, But since I like to torture myself I continued anyway.
Another lowlight was the 180 "Par 4" hole with a blind tee shot. I made a "Par" on that one.
The 9th (And thankfully last) hole of this abomination was a short one. Straight up yet another cliff. I ended up snap hooking the ball into the trees, lost it, and made a triple bogey, A fitting end to a horrible day.

In the end it was obvious that this gut knew NOTHING about golf, But decided to build a golf course anyway despite people warning him it was a bad idea. The sad thing about it is the owner is actually a pretty nice guy. He just had no idea how to build a decent golf course nor does he know that running golf carts on hills that steep is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. The scary thing is, I think that course is still in business, Although I haven't (And never want to) been back.

I once played a small 9 hole course outside of Atlanta, and it appeared to have some really nice greens. I hit my Lob wedge in from 80 yards and stuck it 10ft...orrr it hit the green and shot 60ft in the air. This rocket scientist had build artificial greens with a concrete base and astroturf....I turn around, went back inside from the first hole got a refund and tried to explain what a disaster of a moronic idea this was, and he just looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about.

Suddenly I feel pretty good about my course. It may have been the worst course in my area, until they started working on it. But it seems a whole lot better than some of what I read here.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

Whippoorwill Golf Course in Blount County, Alabama. The farmer built it by himself in a cow pasture over about 5 years. The greens and fairways are like a asphalt parking lot. The Tee Boxes are just behind the green you just played so people are getting hit and the word FOOORRE is yelled throughout the round.
$18 per round.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

Bierton GC near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Uk. Just plain crap. poor upkeep, no features, flat.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!