IGNORED

Anybody hitting a 4 Wood?

motsco
Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit an Orlimar - similar to a 3 wood. It is a 13 degree club and goes about 245 yards. Off the tee I sometimes surprise myself and out-drive guys using their drivers. Check them out!
Great club.

I have had my 4 wood in the bag since 2000. Considering my bag changes about every 2 years or so, it's definately my favorite club. I can get it out there a good ways but it still lands fairly soft. I find it a really good option if you want to carry more irons or wedges instead of 3 and 5 metals. Im not sure about a 7wood though... I've never hit one. I would definitely recommend an older TM like my 200 series or the slightly newer Vsteel. They are a little hard to find though... most people that have them don't give 'em up. Like me! :D

As far as distance goes, Im normally around the 105-110 range on driver clubhead speed and I get the 4 wood about 235-240 on the fly.... with roll in a fairway, sometimes up to 260.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

Golf Digest reported on some tests on fairway woods (several months ago at least). Tests concluded that the 4-wood (about 17 degrees or so) was an easier wood to hit for most golfers than the 3-wood. Sorry I can't find the cite.

Years ago when woods had persimmon heads, I could do wonderful things with my 4-wood. Came out of the rough well, and stopped better overall than a 3-wood.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit an Orlimar - similar to a 3 wood. It is a 13 degree club and goes about 245 yards. Off the tee I sometimes surprise myself and out-drive guys using their drivers. Check them out!

I thought 4 woods were generally 16.5*.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

I have a Mizuno F-60 4W (It's 16.5*) and I like it. Pretty easy to hit and overall a good club, I think.

I also have a TM V-Steel 3W and 5W, but I got the 4W because I wanted to go with a 4 wedge setup.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

Yep. 17˚ G10. I like it enough to play it. I hit it 3 times today in 27 holes.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I really think that if I were to get a 4-wood, I would hit it the same distance as my 3-wood with a higher trajectory. I've heard good stuff about the Mizuno F-60 and the Ping G10.

« Keith »

I have a G10 4 wood, standard 17 degree loft with TFC129 shaft. It has the same length shaft as the 3 wood, so when you hit one out of the screws, it really goes.

It has a good, high, penetrating flight and I find it perfect for approaches on par 5s or those looong par 3s.

I believe the couple of degrees extra loft does help inspire confidence.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I´ve got a Sonartec NP99 4 wood (17º)
It has a smaller head than today´s woods, and it´s definitively easier to hit off the fairway, almost as easy as an hybrid.
I´ve got also an Sonartec GS Tour 15º 3 wood, but I can play many rounds hitting only the 4W... the ballflight is perfect, not balloonig as a 5W nor so low as the 3W.
It would make almost the same distance from the tee as a 3 wood if the GS Tour wasn´t such a cannon...
Many people take out the 3W and 5W and add a 4W and a gap wedge. I take a different approach, because I´ve got my wedges well distance-spaced.
So, take what it works four you, wether is a 4W or not

Hibore XLS 10.5º Yellow Reg
909F3 13º Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Reg
Big Bertha 17º Reg
585.H 21º Graphite 4175 Reg
804.OS 4-9 Graphite 3975 Reg Vokey Spin Milled 48.06 54.14 60.10 Tess G2 35" ProV1XHome course: Ria de Vigo Golf Vigo (SPAIN)

I just pulled my Cobra 4+ wood out of my bag. Replaced w/ a S91 3 wood. I liked the workability off the tee of the 4 wood but I prefer the 3 wood from the fairway due to the lower profile. It's also is a few yards longer and and has the same shaft as my driver.
I had a Sonartec 4 wood and couldn't hit it. It was a very nice looking club though. Golfsmith gave me $270 for it on a trade in.

I use an Orlimar 16 degree, which they (and I) classify as a 4W. The old Orlimars hit as far as a lot of people's drivers (I have periodically tried newer FWs but so far none is as long) and it's easy to get up in the air. I use it mostly on shorter par 4s where a driver gets you into trouble (especially with narrowing fairways) and you still wind up close enough for a wedge or short iron. I was reluctant initially to give up the 3W, but it was only a shot or two per round where it made any difference (and even then I have found there isn't enough of a difference to worry about) and now I would hesitate to return to a 3W. They're real cheap on eBay, so you can try it out without risking much.

i have a Callaway FT 4 wood, and i got it because of the higher launch, it has more forgiveness due to increased backspin. It is 17*, and i find i hardly gain distance when i try my friend's 3 wood. Great when i need a little more than a hybrid to get to a long par 4 or 5. Good for 230 yds - my hybrid is 210 yds. Wierdly, my driver is not much longer than my 4 wood only 20 yards.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I like using my 3 hybrid(20 deg) out of the rough over my 3 wood, never tried hitting a 4 wood, had a 5 wood but didnt hit it well, didnt get good distance, gave it to a friend of mine as a gift.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

• 3 weeks later...
How do they compare to your 7, 5, 3, Woods?

I only carry one wood and one hybrid right now (usually), but I've got a Tour Edge Exotics 4W (16*) with a Rombax 6w06 that I used to game religiously. It's got a permanent place in my travel bag. If you're only going to carry one wood -- either because you're using hybrids or you added a couple more wedges -- the 4W is a good compromise.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Not got one in the bag at the moment but I have a TM 200 series 4-wood in the garage with a stiff Epic fairway shaft in it. Nice club, just not using it at the moment.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Hate to tell you this but 13° is a 3W, no matter what the manufacturer might have labeled it.

I currently only have a Mizuno 16.5° 3W in my bag. It's easier to hit than a 3W, and can be played from lies where I wouldn't even consider using the 3W. I lose a little distance from the 3W, but the added versatility and accuracy more than makes up for that. Unlike others, my hybrids do NOT replace any woods in my bag. They replace a couple of long irons, and are used in about the same way.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Hate to tell you this but 13° is a 3W, no matter what the manufacturer might have labeled it.

Well if the Orlimar is considered 3 wood that is a boost to my confidence! Hitting it that far is great!

Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!