IGNORED

Have you ever hit a 1-Iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I thought if you used a putter backhanded it counted as an extra club. Sorry if I'm wrong (i.e. an idiot) but that's what I thought.

Right. Maybe you confused the rule that says a putter is the only club that's allowed to have two striking faces (and even then it's just the Bullseye types that have that "feature").

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Maybe you confused the rule that says a putter is the only club that's allowed to have two striking faces (and even then it's just the Bullseye types that have that "feature").

Don't ever underestimate my ability to be confused.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yes, at my local club, the Pro has a Lynx 1 iron or something like that. I don't think it's that hard to hit, in fact I liked the way I was hitting it, but I will no change it for my 3 wood.

This is a pic I uploaded to twitter. http://twitpic.com/jicfj

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I used to hit a PING eye 2 1 iron off the tee in high school.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I remember those Lynx clubs. Nice irons in their day.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

I remember those Lynx clubs. Nice irons in their day.

Golfsmith has them now. Nice looking clubs.

As for "Have you ever hit a 1- Iron".....define hit.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Yes, I have always carried a 1 iron.

Wilson staff really hard to hit consistantly like most old blades.

McGregor JNP really nice club just changed when I changed iron set.

Tzoid Pro. with a S400 Dynamic Gold Tip Stiff 1 inch long. What an unreal club. Mizuno no longer offers them. I would have love the 1 Iron in the MP58 design.

I have tried to replace it with the Cobra Baffler 18 degree with a stiff Graphite but really need to back off to a 3/4 clubhead speed to keep from hooking it. I have a natural draw.

Here are the promised pics of my Ben Hogan Apex Forged 1 iron, circa 1993, with Apex 4 shaft. I've gotta concede, as often as it seems I've hit this thing, when I checked the set last night the 1 and 2 clubfaces are pristine compared to 3 and above.

Nice club!

Are the rest of your irons ben hogans as well?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Here are the promised pics of my Ben Hogan Apex Forged 1 iron, circa 1993, with Apex 4 shaft. I've gotta concede, as often as it seems I've hit this thing, when I checked the set last night the 1 and 2 clubfaces are pristine compared to 3 and above.

The set up of this looks a lot like my PCs. I've got a couple Apex PC 2 irons - almost picked up a matching 1-iron off Ebay because of this thread, then realized the 2-iron is long and low enough.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

lol.

The ball flight is much like my 2i off of the tee. I can get a good high flight. It is also easy to do a low punch shot with. Off of the deck its a different story; its usually low to medium height. One thing for sure, I've got to focus when I pull that baby out.

Well damn! Your 1i is shinnier and looks better than mine.

• 4 years later...

As you can see by my avatar pic, I have a 1984 Hogan Apex PC 1-iron, part of a 1-E set purchased new after my 1972 Apex set was stolen :-(. Back when my swing was in better tune, I used to hit it all the time for controlled tee shots on narrow / layup holes, and second shots on par 5s. Very hard to hit if your swing is the least bit off, but when you're playing well, hitting a Hogan 1-iron on the button is as good as it gets. Hit poorly, it's as bad as it gets. Hit it well with a little draw and a hurricane has a hard time changing the ball flight. I still play with the 3-E today - they're what I grew up with and other clubs I've tried just feel like a compromise and look like one too. The feedback is very clear, good and bad. You can tell exactly where you hit the ball on the club-face - a groove low, a hair on the toe, anything off-center registers loud and clear. I'm sure this costs me a few shots - anything not flushed loses significant distance - but I play for the good shots.

I have a MacGregor 1-iron in my garage. I (try to) hit it once in a while. The first time I swung it I completely flushed it with a nice mid-flight draw. That was the only time I've ever hit it well.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh sure, back in the day. Ping Eye 2 1-iron. I was a member at Binks Forest in Wellington, Fl which featured a number of very narrow tree-lined holes. Would hit the 1-iron off the tee, laser straight, about 225.

I have a Tommy Armour Ti 100 1 iron. When I was gaming that set, I used it when called for. It was more accurate for me than my 3 wood but was shorter. In the 230 range. Could hit it off the tee pretty well, but did take more concentration off the turf. It has one of those big butt shafts. I think 0.800 as opposed to the normal 0.600. Don't use it now because it doesn't have a grip.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!