IGNORED

Family Golf Legacy (Poll)

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did your father golf?

• He didn't own clubs.
    • He went out once a year or less.
    • He hit the links a few times a month.
    • He was a rabid golf nut.

My father played golf as young man, but he played rarely when I was growing up. My father was a teacher and we lived in very small towns in rural Kansas, and hunting was his passion. There was not enough money to have more then one hobby, so in the summers he would help on a farm, and then hunt it in the winter.

However, now that he is retired, the bird population has diminsted to next to nothing, he is a rabid golfer. He will play well over 200 rounds in a year. There are even times in November and December were he will hunt in the morning and golf in the afternoon, weather permitting.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

My dad got me into golf at a very early age. I basically had a club in my hand from the time I could walk. As far back as I can remember, he and I used to always go out to the driving range early Sunday mornings when no one else was out there. Because of this and the fact that (at least when I used to live in Houston) we usually play together, he seems to think that I'm his "swing coach" and constantly wants me to watch his swing to help fix whatever he is doing wrong. I've figured out he only does about 4 or 5 things wrong and I just go through the list and watch for those things.

The funny thing is that he and I have completely different types of golf games. He is the calculating, safe golfer that has a great short game that helps him never do worse than bogey. I'm the big-hitter that'll either have a birdie/par or a double or more.

My father had never played golf until I started playing. After Id been playing a few years, he decided to give it an shot.
My father only plays a few times a year (when I go to NE Wisconsin and visit during the summer) but for someone who only plays a few times a year and never practices, he does pretty well.
IMO, if he actually devoted time every day to practice and played more often, I think he could be pretty decent.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

I think I took to golf so much because it was a great way to get away from my parents.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My parents played so much that we were golf orphans in the Summer. My dad would play about 4 times a week. We had to learn to cook for ourselves. So my brother and I ended up cooking on the grill about 3 times a week. They would come home and then be arguing about what was wrong with my mom's swing. I have the same bug, but I haven't turned it into a second career yet.

I ended up playing on golf teams every year, even though I could have also been on varsity track team. I caddied, worked at the golf course some times. Lots of comments in the HS yearbook about golf. I wanted to make it a career somehow, but just didn't know how to make it happen.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Dad played every day he could and played gin in the locker room after nearly every game. He went weeks without missing a day.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Not sure how much my dad played before I came along but he probably played once a year if that when I was growing up. Funnily enough, since I started playing he's started to play a lot more too; getting out almost every week. Haven't played much together yet though because I usually play on Saturdays when it's club members only at my course and he plays early Sunday morning when I'm usually in bed .

Come from a long line of golfers personally.

Had a few low handicaps and some not so low, but all golfers in the true sense of the word - not necessarily confined to the skill level.

As far as I know my Father never held a club in his hands... likes to watch it on TV though....

In MY bag...
IRONS X-Forged
WEDGE X-Tour 52*, 56*, & 60*
DRIVER Big Bertha 454 Titanium
WOODS FTI 3W, Big Bertha 5WPUTTER Itsy Bitsy Spider BALL Pro V1x

He was an athlete in UK in the 50s/60s -- a football league referee/linesman. Good at lots of sports, especially tennis, but not golf.

He tried, and got rid of the clubs pretty quickly, and stuck with other sports.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

like several others have said, I got my dad and two brothers into it. Now my 21 month old has a sweeter swing than I do!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My father was an avid golfer, playing much more than twice a month. I wouldn't however consider him a "rabid golf nut."

Same here.

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

My Dad is a golf nut, he plays all the time. He is quite good and has come within one shot of shooting his age several times (he just turned 69). He and I are the only father/son pair to both have our names on the club championship trophy at our course.

He actually got me into the game along with my grandfather.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 5283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!