IGNORED

Tiger throws driver into gallery in disgust....

mn723
Note: This thread is 5253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The tour does have the balls to fine him. He is probably the most fined player on tour for his remarks, cursing and hissyfits. The tour does not make these things public.

Bman, you're right, he has been fined for remarks, cursing and hissyfits. However, not for club throwing. To me, throwing a club is far worse than the others because you could really hurt someone. Could you imagine going to a PGA event and leaving in an ambulance with a broken nose? Or even worse, a crushed eye socket or sinus cavity.

Dude loosen up. People that are that tense and rigid start wars. Ok maybe jack didn't throw a club... but Bobby Jones did, so did Ben Hogan. Sometimes when you demand perfection and you fail, your character gets upset. Perfectly natural. Tiger is as good as he is because he demands it of himself. If he were to expect mediocrity, there wouldn't be much to be upset about would there? If he is doing it too much, someone should talk to him about it.

Im as laid back a person as you would ever meet. However, I will not loosen up on this subject. See my above remarks to bman. As far as someone talking to him about it; again, it probably won't happen because the PGA is afraid to loose the money Tiger brings in.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Bman, you're right, he has been fined for remarks, cursing and hissyfits. However, not for club throwing.

Sorry, no, you don't know that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Define "gets away with it." Every time Tiger spits someone starts a forum thread. And he's fined more than any other player on the PGA Tour... that's as good as confirmed.

Granted - Tiger is being followed on telecasts more than anyone else - but I do see other players hit bad shots and not toss their club all over the place. In some tournaments it seems as if EVERY bad shot he hits he has this out of proportion reaction - it gets a little old - and I dont see other players consistently doing the same thing.

By getting away with it I mean that he still does it every week - so whatever penalties or fines they are imposing on him haven't had any affect. I was also more talking about the announcers and reporters following the game - they dont seem to condemn these actions as strongly as they should - or at least I dont hear them do it when I watch. It looks really bad when he starts carrying on like that - makes me think the dude is somewhat of an a-hole. Also I just watched the replay of it on the golf channel - the club went over the head of the spectators so it really could have hit someone - and when Tiger went to get the club it didn't seem like he even apologized - not even a little uh sorry for almost clocking you with my club. I've noticed that throwing the club on the floor is one of his go to tantrum moves - I've seen it a lot before - I haven't seen it take off into the gallery though.

Driver: '09 Burner
3Wood: Burner
Hybrids: 3 hybrid and Austads Pickle 26 degree
Irons: Rac os2 PW-4
Wedges: Vokey 48, 52 and 56 degreePutter: RossaBag: Sasquatch TourPushcart: 2.0Ball: Prov1 GPS: freecaddie software running on cellphone

So just how many times have you seen or heard of this happening on the PGA?? Here's a hint, if you do a quick Google search for PGA Golfer throws club EVERY hit is for Tiger.

No one wants to read about Brad Adamonis or some other nobody. Everyone wants to read about Tiger. So say that they both do something like this, only Tiger's will get coverage.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

...for reference.

What bothers me here is that Tiger didn't look into the crowd to see if anyone got hurt, didn't ask, didn't apologize, just motioned to get his driver back then starting walking off the tee box.

I am a Tiger fan, but that was reckless and dangerous and his reaction to is was classless. Boo, Tiger.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

i think pros throwing clubs is hillarious... but throwing it into ppl... thats just not right at all... he coulda found a nice water hazard or something
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I think that tigger needs to get his act together becuase what young people see on tv they will copy. I remember at the Open the hit a bad iron shot so he threw his club and bent the shaft. so i laughed.

...on closer inspection of the video, he does say something and nod his head so who knows what was discussed with the fans.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

i saw it last night and was disgusted... i know he didnt mean for it to bounce off into the gallery but its still juvenile for him to even be throwing clubs in the first place.

most young golfers i know adore tiger.... he isnt being much of a moral role model.

if phil did that, i bet hed let the spectator he hit keep the driver. i would at least....

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

It's the caddie's fault; he noticed the grips were worn and should have said something. Now Tiger just needs to give him a quarter tip and tell him he's still in the running for the caddie scholarship....

While I might normally agree with you, most people seem to be smiling and/or clapping for Tiger. Having not been there, obviously I can't say for sure, but I would imagine if there was a high level of upset among the people Tiger would have sensed that and done something. From watching the crowd's reaction it doesn't seem like anyone is upset about anything.

Taken from Charles Barkeley .... you're bad parents if your kids role models are athletes...

You'll never once hear me or my children say we have a sports role model. My interest in Tiger ends at his ability to hit a little white ball.

He can say think and do whatever he feels like. However like Erik said ... when it brings someone else into danager that's where the line should be drawn. I'm not Tiger's dad, it's his job to decide what he does when the only person he can hurt is himself.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

That's just disgraceful. Throwing your clubs is bad enough, but throwing a club into a crowd of people just takes it to a whole new level. What a dick.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

tbh i think more has been made out of this than necessary, he only threw it into the floor and it bounced funny, he didnt throw it towards the gallery.

also, if that driver had have come anywhere near me i would have picked it up and ran as fast as i could, not give it back :)

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Verbally he's been better - you don't hear him use the same strength curse words - but that almost seems to be bubbling up into more physical expressions of disgust.

I agree with you....

but there was a pretty major F bomb from Tiger on Friday. This club bounce was actually pretty bad - someone could have lost an eye there. Imagine if it had been Daly who bounced a club off the gallery.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This is the first period in Tiger's life where he is regularly losing the lead on the last day, which would infuriate a type A overachiever who once said "second sucks". Steve is an enabler of Tiger's anger and mirrors Tiger's demeanor on the course.

Hopefully this is the wake up call he needed.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!