IGNORED

first Scotty Cameron

shakogolfer78
Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finished up my first semester of college on Thursday, and made the hour and half drive home that day. When I got back my dad and I went to a place called the golf warehouse which is were all the local golf shops sell their old merchandise from last season. I found a brand new Scotty Cameron Red X3 35''. It was on sale for $150 and another 10 percent off of that so after it was all said and done I bought a brand new Scotty for $135! I am so excited to hit the links already, too bad it is cold and snowing in Minnesota.

just wondering how much you are looking for the old oddysee 2-ball putter

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a stupid question but is there any real difference between a scott cameron putter or odyssey than anything else, other than feel? Its not going to make more putts than a 10 dollar putter from Wal Mart, so why is it SOO much better?

The main difference is in the steel they use to make the putter head. The reason Scotty's cost a lot is because they use this "303 German Stainless Steel". While they claim (of course) that it's the best steel, I'm sure other putters have high quality steel that work just as well and isn't as expensive. Odyssey makes great putters too and they use the face inserts, which I am not the biggest fan of though. Other putters like Yes have face grooves that get the ball rolling true quickly. When people buy a name brand putter (or any other club), they are also paying for the name and the club designer. A $10 Wal-mart putter is probably made out of the cheapest metal that is just a step above the crap they use for mini-golf putters. Another thing would be the weight of the putter...the cheap putters are so light and just seem tough to keep square. People can develop a feel for just about anything though, and if someone practiced a ton with a Wal-mart putter they wouldn't be too bad I think.

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

[QUOTE=joepro23;400888]The main difference is in the steel they use to make the putter head. The reason Scotty's cost a lot is because they use this "303 German Stainless Steel". While they claim (of course) that it's the best steel, I'm sure other putters have high quality steel that work just as well and isn't as expensive. Another thing would be the weight of the putter...the cheap putters are so light and just seem tough to keep square. QUOTE]

I would add that beyond the materials, it is about superior design and craftsmanship. Scotty painstakingly improves upon designs to make them not only feel right, but that have little added touches to make them look just right to the eye. This can be a narrorer heel than toe, or a higher toe than heel, etc.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

The main difference is in the steel they use to make the putter head. The reason Scotty's cost a lot is because they use this "303 German Stainless Steel".

Why do people respond to questions that they do not know the answer to?

The above is not true. Many of the Tour issued putters are made of GSS. The non OTR SC putters sometimes not but the Studio Style had a GSS insert. Off the rack SC putters are mass produced in the same way as other milled putters. They are not made of German Stainless Steel. Price is set by demand. The putters are not innately more valuable.
there is a difference in the moi i think also ball alingment and stuff like that

What on earth are you trying to say here? This is gibberish. SC putters are not "MOI" putters and the "alignment and stuff like that" is exactly the same as all other putters.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Funny that I stumbled upon this thread. My story dates all the way back to, well, yesterday.

Was at one of the local golf stores with my wife. She had a couple things she needed to get her brother and she was also going to let me pick out a sand wedge to complete my set of irons. After I had my wedge picked out she was futzing around trying to pick out a windbreaker for her brother I killed time knocking some Scotty's around the putting green...bad idea. Much like playing with puppies at the dog pound, sooner or later you're going to find one you want to take home. I tried about 4 different Scotty's out and started draining putt after putt with the Newport 2.0 Mid Slant. I was in the zone for about 15 minutes, to the point where I didn't notice that my wife was standing there waiting for me. She says, "I thought you had a putter already". I reply, "I do, just trying these out until you're ready to go, seeing how the other half lives"

Well, a few minutes later she says, "Would you rather have that than the sand wedge thingy?" At which time I explain there is a slight difference in price. "You've been good this year, if you really want it and will use it go ahead and I'll get you the wedge for our anniversary."

Wow! So, I am now a proud first time owner of a Scotty. Of course, since we just got a fresh 4" of snow last night, I'll be spending the next couple months honing my putting skills indoors, but it's a little easier than trying to hone my wedge skills indoors I guess.

Merry Xmas to all!

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

This may be a stupid question but is there any real difference between a scott cameron putter or odyssey than anything else, other than feel? Its not going to make more putts than a 10 dollar putter from Wal Mart, so why is it SOO much better?

Since no one really answered this, I thought I'd take a shot.

A $10 Wal Mart putter is not milled. Milling putter heads out of a single block of metal like Scotty Cameron (and other premium putters) results in putters that are visually more refined and precise with a more solid feel. When you really take putting seriously and putt everything out, this makes a world of difference.

My Tools of Ignorance:

its just a piece of metal.

I know you think that makes you seem knowledgeable, but it couldn't be further from the truth. That is right up there with the infamous "I could putt with a brick on a stick" comment.

Putting is all about feel, comfort and personal preference. From the professional on down to the mid-handicapper looking to get into single digits, finding the right putter is probably their single most important quest. That's why players like Bobby Jones and Tiger have many exact replicas made of their putters once they found one to their liking.

My Tools of Ignorance:

My first Scotty was a mildly used putter....the Detour. It really helped me with distance control and as a training aid as I tranistioned to a new "open-to-closed" stroke.

I could never get used to how it soled at address and wound up flipping it...I went through a the couple more used Scotties that I ebay'ed and flipped, too.

The current model I use was a birthday present from my wife. It has been in the bag for 18 months now. It feels the best to me of any putter I've tried. I love my mid-slant.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

My first Cameron was a Tei3 Newport II that I got a couple of years ago. Still my favorite putter of all time. It was the putter that this guy I caddied for way back at a country club had used. So it was always something I couldn't afford, and after a few paychecks after college, it was on the top of my list. Little did I know, my girlfriend got it for me on ebay. So I took what I saved up for the putter and got a Circa 62 #3 in addition. I got both of them adjusted so the weight, length, and grip were identical. I'll switch them when one feels off. Since they have different sightlines, and one has an insert, I can switch between them for feel, and not cause havoc with my stroke.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

Why do people respond to questions that they do not know the answer to?

Sorry dude, you are probably right, but I saw a golf channel special on Scotty and all I remember was the constant braggin about the GSS. They made it seem like all their putters had it. I'll check my facts next time, but it was a honest mistake.

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

I got my first (and only unfortunately) about 3 months ago for my birthday. I realized how inconsistent I was when it came to hitting the sweet spot. It took a little while to get consistent but once I did, I was money!

• 2 weeks later...
I know you think that makes you seem knowledgeable, but it couldn't be further from the truth. That is right up there with the infamous "I could putt with a brick on a stick" comment.

chill out holmes. i dissed your favorite putter, i didnt beat your mother. and it is a piece of metal. unless your putter is made out of something other than metal. which i dont think it is.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Off the shelves SC Putter may not be everyone's honey.

Besides the length and putter head ( for arc and straight back straight front swing ) , you still need to adjust the lie to suit you .

The feel of SC hitting the ball is really good , not mute and not harsh .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I bought my Newport 2 many years ago, I am playing a two ball Odyssey right now but I always want to go back to the Scotty.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

My first was a Caliente. It was a mallet style putter and I purchased it when I was like 13 or 14. I really wanted a scotty at that time and thats all I could muster up for a putter.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

my first is the one in my sig
i cashed in some Visa points, and sold my YES to buy it...so it was FREE, otherwise I would never have bought it
well...correction...the wife would have never ok'd the purchase otherwise

had 4 rounds this year with 28 putts
now do i attribute this to the putter or more practice BECAUSE of the new putter..i dunno
but my confidence putting is through the roof

i know that if i missed, it was me - not the putter
ive never had that feeling w any other putter - this thing is wicked
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!