IGNORED

Can you get good playing once a week?

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 5231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you can practice once a week and play once a week you should be set. It depends whether you are able to assess your own play. If you need a pro to tell you what you are doing right or wrong then continuing to play without lessons may be the wrong direction.

Playing with someone else also seems to be an issue. The advice that gets kicked around here is that you should try and play with someone who is better than you, this may expose you to other ways to improve. Again it gets back to being able to self assess and incorporate this into your game. Playing with someone else should also open up diffent ways of playing your course so the same shots you leave may be given a different perspective.

Hope you are enjoying the golf though!
KGC- edge bag
580 XD 9.5* harrison striper Ti S
// v-steel 15* S//rescue 17* S
710 AP 2 3 ir + 755 4- 9 S//vokey 200 48.06 / 54.14
sm
60.08// studio design 1 4*

Just wondering if you can actually improve by playing 18 only once a week and hitting up the range once or twice??...

Yup. That's essentially what I've done for years and I don't even get that amount in over the Winter months. I used to play/practice a lot more (~25-30 years ago) which may have helped groove the basics very well but the last 20 years or so has been exactly what you describe or even less. Handicap currently 4.4 and coming down (oh yes!) next season.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you play once a week but when you practice you work on your weakenesses you should see steady improvement. If you just hit balls to hit balls then you will probably not improve in the areas you want to improve in. I think the main thing is what you practice and how you practice. Then go out and see what's working. Each round you play should point you to the things you should work on.

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

If you played one round a week, and practiced a few hours a week on short game only, I think you would improve.

very good point...nothing like a small wager to keep things interesting.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I play usually once or twice a week on the weekends, practice at least 2 times a week at the range and chip and pitch in the yard a lot.

Depends on what type of "player" you are. Some guys would rather play rounds instead of practice (Ben Crenshaw), others love to practice (Vijay, Tom Kite).

I would dump the membership and get lessons with that money, find a league or something to play in once a week for the competition and freindly wagering.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

But if you're sick of playing alone, join a league. It's fun, and competitive enough that you learn how to play under pressure.

League play is the ticket and every course usually has multiple leagues you can join. Obviously you'll need to meet some of the people in those leagues, but just talk to the club pro to introduce you. Leagues are always looking for new members so joining shouldn't be a problem. The format is fun and challenging, and as you play with the league more you're practice will naturally become more focused.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I only play once a week now, sometimes more like during the holidays. But I have health probs (back, knee) that are more the restriction than skill.

But before I married, I was playing 18 on Sat and Sun, range balls to loosen up. No real practice per se. Solid 2, but could go no further working 50 hrs a week and only seeing a club on the weekends. I couldn't quit work, didn't have rich parents nor a rich uncle, so that was that as they say.

Thats when I decided to play the game as enjoyment and a personal challenge. I don't play for money (I could care less what someone else shoots, it's me against the course), and enjoy playing alone. But that's just me. I'm weird, and my wife agrees.

I can still shoot near par a few times a year, but it requires a warm day, my back and knee to cooperate, and a little luck. Getting old(er) stinks.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

You don't get good on the course, you get good on the range. Making changes on the course is something I find very difficult. I spend most of my time golfing on the range and putting/chipping green. Can't say I get that much better, but there is always improvement.

The best is of course practice with a purpose, preferably with a coach.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't get good on the course, you get good on the range. Making changes on the course is something I find very difficult. I spend most of my time golfing on the range and putting/chipping green. Can't say I get that much better, but there is always improvement.

but as the saying goes you cant take the range to the course

id rather play you learn more.

• 2 weeks later...
I started the game of golf when I was 30. That was 9 years ago and I've only ever played once a week. My handicap is 8.6 but I got down to a 7.7 at my lowest.

So, yes it is possible, but only to a point - mine being a handicap of 8/9. I can't see myself ever getting below that unless I spent a lot more time on the range/on the course.

Mizuno MX500 10.5*
Mizuno Hi-Fli CLK 20*
Mizuno Hi-Fli CLK 26*
Nike Pro Combo 5-PW
Mizuno Black Ox 52* & 56*

I am like the OP - playing once a week, plus 2-4 range/short game practise sessions a week. Relating to comments made previously in my thread, my question is - what is the best use of time spent at home? Especially when limited to indoor practise like we in the UK currently are, what methods would help the overall game when we do get the opportunity to play again?

Driver: Launcher 10.5°
3-Wood: Launcher 15°
5-Wood: Launcher 19°
Hybrid: Baffler TWS 20°
Irons: CG7 4-PWWedges: CG15 Black Pearl 52.10 58.12Putter: Rossa Kia Ma MonacoBalls: e6+

yes......if you go to the driving range four or five times a week. then when you do go to the course take is seriously dont screw around

cheers~Zach

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

You must master the basics to play good golf (5-12 handicap) and you don't need to go to the course to do that. Heck, you don't even need to go to the range. All you need is a true quest for how the golf swing works, a club, and a place to swing it.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I think you can get "good" playing once a week. I have been playing now for about 22 months (had two months off for tearing rib cartilage) and have carded about 75 rounds. Some of the weeks I played either once or twice a week and on one crazy weekend we played four rounds (two on sat and two on sun). Fortunately here in Hawaii, there isn't really any winter so playing during the winter months is almost the same as playing during the rest of the year. Interestingly enough as I have found that as my game got better and worked out the kinks of my swing, i have gone to the range less. I actually have forgone going to the range and focused on doing mirror work and carpet putting at home. Dont get me wrong, when I find that I am getting the jitters or a particular club just doesnt want to cooperate, I make sure to get to the range to get things right in my mind and build the appropriate muscle memory to fix any problems. I wanted to get down to to a single handicap by the end of 24 months, but the clock is ticking!

Taylormade BSF 2.0 9.5° Driver

2011 Burner 3 Wood

2007 Burner TP 5 Wood
Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Irons
09 Spin Milled Vokeys- 46°, 52°, 58° Wedges CG-14 60° Wedge Odyssey Black Series i #1 Putter

Playing once a week will still allow you to improve but you will reach a level to where you cannot get past. Golf requires constant attention, I've noticed that when I don't play for a couple of days, my touch around the greens is not quite as sharp. I play 4-5 times during the week and have an eighteen hole match with a good friend of mine. I like to play by myself during the week because it allows me to focus on what I need to improve. If you want to improve, you need to realize that golf is in individual sport. Yes, playing with a friend is more fun but it won't put you in the same focused state of mind that you will have if you're playing with people you don't know.

The thing I don't like about playing with new people is how they always ask for advice. I try to offer it but you know, I'm out there to play and work on my game, not help some weekend guy that is playing golf now because it's the "in" thing to do.

If you want some honest advice on how to take serious shots off your game, begin and end your round by spending 30 minutes on the putting green. Practice those 3-6 footers, start making them until you can do it with your eyes closed. How many of those do you miss in a round? You know how many times a pro makes one of those to save par? A good pro will hit a lot of shots to make birdies, but they also know how to scratch a 68 or 69 when their game is out of sync that day by making those types of putts.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Note: This thread is 5231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!