IGNORED

Mickelson, Harrington, Daly using PING wedges for grooves. Unfair advantage?

Tiger Spuds
Note: This thread is 5196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Should the governing bodies change the rules so the "grandfathering" of clubs is eliminated?

They can't.

However, the Phil bashing is unwarranted in my view if he is 1) not breaking the rules as defined, and 2) other pro's are just as able to take advantage of said rules.

Yeah, they're just pissed they don't have a stash of Eye2s in their garage/basement. Big whoop.

Besides at 64 degrees, Phil will probably use the club for the short trouble shots and flops most of the time. Those rely on trajectory to stop the ball, not spin so much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iacas, I think they were discussing his 64* last night saying that the difference in the new vs eye2's was that the ball would roll out too much. While I agree with you that a flop shot is determined by the flight of the ball and not the spin, I think that having it check up sooner can only help.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Perception is everything. If Phil wins or does very well, everyone and their dog will be using old wedges. If he does poorly, no one will care and even Phil may toss them.

For all we know, this could all be part of a publicity stunt by Phil and Callaway. He might come out next week and say "yeah, the old wedges are great, but these Callaway wedges are so good they even beat out the old square groove clubs," then Callaway hands him a big fat check.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I don't imagine the other pros care what wedges Phil or John Daly uses. They got their own equipment. If they don't have equipment that works for them, they might consider the Eye2, or another wedge. I hardly believe that change in spin will make such a big difference anyways. The players adapt to the new rules and have probably familiarized themselves with the new grooves for some time now. Besides, it affects everyone, so it can't be unfair. If Phil started hitting more greens, he might not have to use the wedges as much.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
Iacas, I think they were discussing his 64* last night saying that the difference in the new vs eye2's was that the ball would roll out too much. While I agree with you that a flop shot is determined by the flight of the ball and not the spin, I think that having it check up sooner can only help.

I recall them saying that, above 60 degrees, the ball flew as much as 20 yards different depending on things you couldn't easily control. There was a 20 yard "margin of error" on full swings with the "new grooves" above 60°.

My point is that if you don't ever swing a wedge over 60° with a full swing, that margin becomes irrelevant. If you only use it within a few yards of the green then who cares?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Has anyone got a list of the players using them? I have it on good authority that a certain Irish player has some but wanted to see if other high profile players were gaming them before he put them in play. Apparently it makes a massive difference to these guys and as soon as one uses the others have to.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

This thread is interesting. My dad has a full set of Eye 2s in the BeCu: 2i-SW. I've been meaning to get him that rare, BeCu LW as a gift, possibly for his upcoming birthday. I bet the already high price on that LW is going to go up even more.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

• Administrator
Has anyone got a list of the players using them? I have it on good authority that a certain Irish player has some but wanted to see if other high profile players were gaming them before he put them in play. Apparently it makes a massive difference to these guys and as soon as one uses the others have to.

They're not even legal under R&A; rules. Only in the U.S. and Mexico.

And I don't think it makes a massive difference. Phil's only using it in his 64° club because he said conforming grooves don't work above 60°.

True, but it's a bit against the spirit of competition isn't it?Why not challenge yourself to adapt to the new grooves like everyone else has?

Funny how two players: Rocco Mediate and Scott McCarron both feel that JD and Lefty are violating the "spirit" of competition, too. Yet, both use putters that many feel are violating the "spirit" of the game. Yup, you can use that damn belly putter and it's okay but players can't use wedges that are legal? I find that amusing coming from both of those guys.

Tell you what, Scotty and Rocco, go putt with a Wilson 8802 and JD/Dean Wilson/Lefty will use "normal" wedges. Deal?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Funny how two players: Rocco Mediate and Scott McCarron both feel that JD and Lefty are violating the "spirit" of competition, too. Yet, both use putters that many feel are violating the "spirit" of the game. Yup, you can use that damn belly putter and it's okay but players can't use wedges that are legal? I find that amusing coming from both of those guys.

Golf Pro's just want something to whine and moan about, lets be honest.

I can understand why more pro's are trying the Ping's out now though (Phil, Padraig maybe).None of them would want to feel like they're missing out on something or being left behind, especially the great wedge players, even if the differences in the wedges would be miniscule at best, or even non-existant.Probably a psychological thing if anything.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Good point.

But I putt with a belly putter, so watch it.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Administrator

That's a good point. I think belly putters should be disallowed but I've given up hope that the USGA will see it my way. I don't believe you should be able to anchor something to your body.

At the Sony Open this week, John Daly is using Ping wedges from 1986 . . .

Cut JD some slack guys. Maybe he thinks it still is 1986?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Juding by his pants, that may very well be the situation.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
Scott McCarron just talked very strongly about how he thinks it's "taking unfair advantage" of the rules. He also said he isn't even sure they spin more but it "looks bad."

(Note: I'm behind on the recorded coverage: this occurred at about 90 minutes into coverage.)

I wish I had some Eye 2 wedges to sell.....

Great point on the belly putters...should be illegal.

I had no idea Scott M. was still on the tour?

Rocco...child please. Keep living of your loss to Tiger.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I think it's just like knowing the rules and using it to your advantage. It doesn't bother me and I really doubt that it bothers many pro players.

As for the belly putters, I know a lot of people think they shouldn't be allowed. I have used one on off for 5-6 years and I see what people are saying but as long as everyone has the opportunity to use one then I see no issue with it. If they were banned I would have no problem with it.

I'm just always of the opinion that no matter what equipment, you still have to pull the shot off.

What's In My Bag
Driver: Laucher 460 8.5 w/AccuFlex Assassin X Shaft
3 Wood: PT 15 degree w/x100 Shaft
Irons: DCI 762 3-PW w/s300 shaft
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Putter: Futura, B60 Belly Putter, DF Rossie 2Ball: Pro V1 X-The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over,...

• Administrator

Note: This thread is 5196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!