IGNORED

Strong 3 Wood ?

Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am considering adding a 13* 3 wood to my bag. I currently use a 16* hybrid 3 wood (Tour Edge Houdini) as my 3 wood. My driver is not particularly long... maybe 225 yds. I hit the Hybrid 3 wood straight and about 200 yds. I also carry a hybrid/utility 21* that is probably 190 yds.
Would I benefit from the strong three? Are they terribly difficult to hit off the deck?
Also, my game is short compared to my golf partners.
If I elected to go a bit extreme and get an x-stiff shaft would I gain some straightness without losing distance... as I am not long to start with.

Golf doldrums here in the North East... time to start planning for April!

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I have never hit a 13* but i can't imagine it been a lot harder to hit,the x-shaft for you will give you a lower ball flight and a lot more run on the fairway as your swing speed with this shaft won't generate a lot of spin.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

I tried a 13 degree 3 wood last year. It was great off the tee but not too good off the deck. It is hard to get a lot of carry unless you are a fast swinger. I got less than 200yds carry off the deck with mine (nike sq), I switched to the R9 15 degree 3 wood and I carry it around 220. As for the x stiff shaft I would stay away. A shaft which is way too stiff will often cause a push/fade/slice.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

isn't a 13 degree a 2 wood?

I don't think it'll be worth it. You'd have to strike it perfect off the deck.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

You may want to give the Callaway X-Hot a look. It's a 15* 3-Wood but has a hot clubface and a longer shaft.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10*
Fairway Woods: Callaway X-Hot 15*, Callaway X 2008 18*
Hybrids: Callaway X-Hybrid 21*
Irons: Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*)
Wedges: Eidolon V-Sole GW (52*), SW (56*), LW (60*)Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel BladeBall: Bridgestone e6 BallStand Bag: Ogio...

Go back to this summer. We had some good discussions on 3 Woods.(Note: Both threads are different on inside)

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...=Strong+3+Wood

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...=Strong+3+Wood

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am considering adding a 13* 3 wood to my bag. I currently use a 16* hybrid 3 wood (Tour Edge Houdini) as my 3 wood. My driver is not particularly long... maybe 225 yds. I hit the Hybrid 3 wood straight and about 200 yds. I also carry a hybrid/utility 21* that is probably 190 yds.

Your problem is that you need more loft on your driver. Most people have far too little driver loft, so they go to their 3 wood, because they hit it better, and sometimes farther. The myth that less loft = more distance is unfounded. Give a person with a 60 mph swing an 8° driver, and they will not hit it nearly as far as a 15° driver. Same goes for a person who swings 120, give them a 15° driver, and it will not go nearly as far as a 8° driver.

A strong 3 wood is almost a cardinal sin, these are very, very hard to hit from the ground, and if you have an X shaft on it, you will have a hell of a time getting it airborne. I have an X-flex brassie, and very few people can hit it, trust me, it's a bitch. What you need to do, is to have the lowest lofted club you can easily hit from the ground as your 3 wood, and then have your driver loft fit your swing. This is imperative. If you're like me, and don't like hitting fairways from the ground, then get a higher lofted model. I, for example, prefer weaker fairway woods, 15.5° & 20°. My Adams 3 wood is 15°, and it's the strongest 3 wood I regularly use. I don't go with a wood that I know can only be used from the tee, I carry the 3 wood I can hit from the ground, and a driver that fits my swing. If your driver is fitted for you, then you'll never need to worry about hitting it out of bounds.

I have a Cobra Speed Pro 13 degree 3 wood (stiff flex shaft) and it is a delight to hit off the deck (providing it is not laying in a difficult position). That is considered a "strong" 3 wood, as that 3 wood comes in a 13,15 and 18 degree head, which is quite a difference!!

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

"I'm with you fellas" (Delmar in "O Brother Where art Thou"

This is a seemingly simple question with a multifaceted answer. The loft is just one aspect of the club. I have owned and liked a couple of 13 degree fairways, but neither had an extra stiff shaft. I had a driver once with an extra stiff, but always felt like I was fighting the shaft, both to get it in the air and to keep it straight.

You might enjoy trying some demo clubs to see how they feel, but something around 14-15 degrees with a medium-stiff 43 inch shaft may be to your liking. As Shanks said, you probably need to look into a different driver with a bit more loft as well and a shaft tailored to your swing speed.

I would stay away from the extra stiff shafts as the driver is the club with which you put the ball in play, and the three wood a safety club or a scoring club. You don't want to be fighting them but have them give you confidence as "go to" clubs.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry and play a MacGregor NVG 2 12.5* 3 metal and love it. I can hit it almost as far as my driver and more accurate with it. I actually use it more off of the tee than my driver now. Its taken some practice to take it off of the deck, but its like any 3 metal as they don't like a wussy swing, espceially off of the deck.

Off of the deck I'm good for 240 fly, but can decrease that by chocking down if needed. I put a Graphalloy Pro Launch Platnium reg flex shaft tipped to where a 5 metal should be. I don't have any problems getting the ball up in the air, but its got to be a solid hit to do that.

I use a longdrive lofted club so a STRONG 3 wood would be almost like a lofted driver, maybe 12 degrees would be good to keep the spacing sensible.

Not owned a 3 wood since being a posey junior that wanted a matching set! Holy crap you can get a 3 wood with 12.5 degrees? That is the same as some drivers!

I've got a 13 degree Sonartec GS Tour - its a truly beautiful club, however I cannot hit it and it lives in my garage. I'm poor with it off the tee and terrible from the fairway!

I'd agree with many of the comments above; get a little more loft on your driver and play at least 15 degrees on your fairway wood.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

I've never recieved the full benefits on the strong 3's.

I guess it depends on your swing speed.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I think this question has more to do with what you want to get out of your fairway woods. A strong 3w is really just a shorter easier to manage driver. If that's what you want, especially if you find yourself needing that off the deck in the fairway, then give one a try. I use my 3w a lot. I use it off the tee plenty and it's my go to club for when I need maximum distance from the fairway. In this regard I wouldn't want less loft. I find that 15 degrees of loft gives me plenty of distance in either situation. Less loft should equate with more distance, but I really don't find myself needing more distance than 15 degrees gives me. With my 3w I look for 220yds off the deck and 230 of so off the tee. Those numbers fill my gaps nicely and so I don't need more loft with my longest club behind my driver.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

My vote is with most everyone else. If your swing speed is relatively slow, stick with a 15* or slightly "weaker" lofted 3-wood. You'll have an easier time hitting it off the deck and you'll get more carry from the fairway and off the tee. My driver swing speed is 105-ish, and the standard 15* 3-woods have always suited me well.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!