IGNORED

Haney Project: Romano

kfowler
Note: This thread is 5061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did you ever watch lessons with the Pro's when gary player was on. He would hit shots and then immedietly walk towards the ball. This was so he could get to his left side. Honestly once the ball is hit, it doesn't mater after the fact, if he falls over or not. But being on the back foot is not good. But i hope Ray can break 80.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The falling over part was more of a joke :P but I just mean that I think its hard enough for people to focus on even 1 major swing change like plane, which I sometimes don't think Ray is trying as hard as he makes it sound. I just think that he's got so much shit stuck in his head that its hard for Haney to even get anything done when you have a student who has no faith in himself, no faith in the teacher, and no faith in the swing. From what I gather a lot of people have said here, you pretty much have to trust your instructor fully if you want to get anything of merit done. Ray is such a mental case (as opposed to Barkley who was a physical case) that everything is a "well I'll try but don't expect anything" which as Hank said early on, is a self fulfilling prophecy, he thinks he's gonna get worse first, so he does. I mean I see issue on both sides not necessarily wanting to give in either direction, I guess Ray's lack of cooperation bothers me more than maybe Haney sticking to one route (rather than maybe reexamining his approach).

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Yeah, it takes time to fix years of wrong. Some people know how to play it that way, some like Ray want to get good so much they are constantly thinking. Well, the only way Ray will get better is if he starts hitting them better. Its hard when you have no confidence in it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Yeah, it takes time to fix years of wrong.

I don't agree. I think you can immediately begin to change the positions someone's in, and if they are at 0% and need to get to 100%, if they get to 20% they should hit the ball "better" than when they were at 0%.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...-Before-Better Again, this show demonstrates that Hank isn't the teacher he's thought to be by some.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't agree. I think you can immediately begin to change the positions someone's in, and if they are at 0% and need to get to 100%, if they get to 20% they should hit the ball "better" than when they were at 0%.

A friend of mine, one who is a highly respected elite amateur told me that you will get better at first, then worse, then better again. He said when you first make the change you hit it better because you're focusing on it, and it's a conscious motion. Then, as you begin to ingrain it, it gets worse because you're trying to build it into muscle memory. Finally, once it is, it gets better again.

I find he's mostly correct on that. It gets worse right as you get into that phase of the new motion going from thought to feel.

A friend of mine, one who is a highly respected elite amateur told me that you will get better at first, then worse, then better again. He said when you first make the change you hit it better because you're focusing on it, and it's a conscious motion. Then, as you begin to ingrain it, it gets worse because you're trying to build it into muscle memory. Finally, once it is, it gets better again.

I would agree with that 100%, I was shooting horrible, started taking lessons a couple times a week and would shoot better while my instructor was around, but then play absolutely horrible on the course. But after about 8-10 rounds sticking with the new swing, things all of a sudden just snapped into place, and my scores went down 10-12 strokes per round over my horrible rounds.

• 1 month later...
I wonder how much actual time they spend together throughout taping the show?

Sure you can blame him.

How do you improve a drunk driver's automotive skills? By giving them driving lessons? No, by getting them to stop drinking. Barkley's problems are 100% mental. So what did Haney do? Focus on the technical aspects of Barkley's swing, instead of the root problem with Barkely's swing (the mental glitch).

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Sure you can blame him.

Don't know if it really was mental though. I think it was muscle memory, bad habits. Sure, Haney is a bad teacher for these guys in most senses, but the student takes some fault too. The problem is, that most people just don't have the discipline to get better, no matter how good the teacher is. It's the student that can often make or break the teacher. Most instructors think I'm about the best student ever, because I listen, I exaggerate what they show me to the extreme, and I stick with it until it's second nature.

I find if you tell most people to do something, they barely even make a noticeable change. You have to understand your body is so used to doing it one way, that it takes a lot of work to get it to change. My biggest swing problem, and something present in every swing I've ever posted here, is that my plane gets too steep. When I go to work on getting it back down, I literally feel like I'm taking the club back along my belt line, then shoving the grip into my right pocket. It feels so extreme, but the end result is fairly small, and requires a good amount of time to really, truly work it down. For me, it took getting a camera, and trying to shorten my swing so I didn't go past parallel to learn that. No matter what I did, it was always the same story, past parallel. One day, I decided to try and take the club back to knee high, literally. I was actually trying to get the club just to come up to my kneecaps, and no further, 100% literally . When I looked at the camera, I was just shy of parallel! Everyone had told me "3/4" swing, but that was incorrect. It felt like a 1/8 swing to me, not 3/4. From that super long, well past parallel swing, I had at one time gotten to the point where I was swinging only back to vertical. After I stopped working on it, the result is a nice length of swing, about 15° short of parallel.

A little surprise I haven't seen a thread on this yet. If you saw the premier last night, what did you think?

I can't stand it cuz Ray has such a defeatist atittude and IMO that is why he will never break 90.

Drives me nuts cuz he has the game, but his atittude just plain SUCKS. I see this soooo much on the course also. As we used to say in the windsurfing circle, "atittude is everything".

What course in Las Vegas did Ray Romano play in tonight's episode? The flags had the initials "SH", but I can't find any courses with those initials... what a sweet course!! Could it be Shadow Creek? Anyone recognize the course?
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

What course in Las Vegas did Ray Romano play in tonight's episode? The flags had the initials "SH", but I can't find any courses with those initials... what a sweet course!! Could it be Shadow Creek? Anyone recognize the course?

I thought it was Trump National or was that the course he played against his brother?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

i've watched a few episodes here and there and this show is absolutely terrible. hank haney has virtually no personality, and i dont need to watch that much of ray ramano on the course hacking it up, his swing sucks.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

So he didn't do it.....kinda disappointing

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I'm still waiting to be impressed by anything Hank Haney says or does. I was disappointed by his "genius" when he didn't start Barkley with 1/4 to 1/2 swings. After watching him fail with Ray Romano I guess I'm still waiting to be impressed.

The best part of the show though was when Ray's cell phone rang and he said "it's Butch Harmon, I have to take this". Haney laughed but I don't think he like the comment!

What really annoyed me though was the week of commercials telling me how incredible the last 15 minutes were. Did I miss something? I didn't see anything incredible.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Hahaha yeah that was good

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I'm pretty sure I could break 80 playing a one-man 2-ball scramble without 6 months of Haney lessons.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Oh man this wasn't a great PR move for Mr. Haney.

What would be cool if they did a season 2 with Romano but with Mr. Mike Bennett's swing philosophies and see if Ray breaks 80. That would be awesome if he did.

Note: This thread is 5061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!