IGNORED

Where are you looking....

Note: This thread is 5097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to admit that the first thing that popped into my head when reading this thread is "HOW can anyone look at anything BUT the golf ball when swinging?"

I was amazed that people looked in front of the ball or didn't focus on the ball....crazy....so, I tried focussing on a spot in front of the ball last night and took a couple swings....I actually hit the ball pretty damn solid (but I was hitting everything well last night).....I don't know if I could get used to it, but it sure seemed to work fine...

Crazy...

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Blind people play golf, what do you need to watch the ball for?

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You shouldn't have to look at anything. It's all compensation. With a perfect swing, we would merely hit the ball without thought. You want the ball to just happen to be in the right place, which is why setup is so important. When we tend to focus on the ball, we're swinging at the ball, not through it as is proper. I'm always trying to swing the club on a path, not strike the ball.

I would say to practice with your eyes closed if anything.

I think it was Jack N. who said it once, the ball just happens to be in the way of the club.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I really must be strange, because after reading these comments you will all get a kick out of mine...

I set my ball up so I can read the number - so if I am playing a No. 3 ball I will stare at the 3 and sometimes I will even say the number out loud as I make contact.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

I really must be strange, because after reading these comments you will all get a kick out of mine...

How do you hit a ball from the fairway or the rough?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't focus on anything solid, just thinking of swing tempo and I imagine making good contact.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

How do you hit a ball from the fairway or the rough?

Great point... never thought about that as I just do this for my drives.

Iron's I just set up and swing - concentrate on the flight. And on putting I focus on the line and use a tempo meter of 1-2 in my head.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

I read this thread last night and thought to myself that this sounded like the old "do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?" question some have asked their opponent during match play to throw them off. I thought for sure that when I got to the course this morning I would be shanking it all over the place thinking about this thread. I shanked it all over the place, but it wasn't because of this thread. I had forgotten all about it thank goodness, or it probably would've been even worse.

I look at the ball, but I focus on the target and making a smooth swing to move my ball to the target.

so if I am playing a No. 3 ball I will stare at the 3 and sometimes I will even say the number out loud as I make contact.

No offense, but I bet the older players, Nicklaus, Trevino, etc. probably think today's golfer are just nuts. All of these weird swing thoughts, actions, superstitions, etc.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I concentrate on the inside corner of the ball where it meets the grass. Trying to hit that spot reminds me to keep my elbows in tight and lessens the chance of shanks and my dreaded over the top move.

I align with a selected spot in front of ball. I put the club behind the ball in line with the spot. from this point I never look up at the target. My intent is to move the head through the ball as if it was a smoke cloud and in line with my spot. works for me and gets me away from the :hit: mentality and into the swing mentality.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Note: This thread is 5097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!