IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I know the goal isn't to swing fast. I have to work on not swinging fast. It takes a lot of concentration for meΒ to slow the swing way down.Β Even when I slow it down, its still not something I am accustomed to doing. I have no experience in the timing for this type of swing.Β 

Β 

Β 

I feel you on this one.Β  It's a lot harder to do than it seems like it should be.Β  I took some video yesterday for Evolvr and it's the same as it's been - rehearsal motion which is choppy and slow looks good for what I'm working on, but then when it's time to hit a ball I can't seem to bring myself to swing slow enough to make the piece work.Β  I think what I feel is that anything slow enough to make that piece work makes the swing non-dynamic such that everything else is all discombobulated.Β  I dunno.

Edited by Golfingdad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worked on chipping the irons, working on contact. Much better results today.Β 

Working on chipping with the driver as well.Β 

Short game is coming along nicely again.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

B8B41584-2B29-4D48-B21F-3072B3180966.jpeg

my SW broke like my 6 iron, right at the top of the hosel.Β :~(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:

I struck the ball better today on the course. Kept it simple, just focused on starting the ball on my target line. Short game was a tad off. The contact was better, some toughΒ stances made it difficult to get the ball close enough for a good par chance. I caught one bunker shot too good. I got to remember not to swing that hard when not hitting that far behind the ball.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

I practiced hitting shorter shots with the 7 iron. Working on contact and distance control.Β 

I took the results of 20 attempts.

110 good,Β 65 fat,Β 130 slice,Β 105 good,Β 130 good

85 good,Β 120 good,Β 105 good,Β 115 good,Β 95 thin flip

110 good,Β 85 thin flip,Β 90 thin flip,Β 40 fat,Β 100 good

95 thin flip,Β 120 good,Β 95 good,Β 115 good,Β 95 good

Not as good as I would have hoped.Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

Whoo hoo!!!Β :dance:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/1874173

So, I think my play test of thinking more about the type of shot shape I wanted versus a swing feel based on something I want to do with my swing worked out pretty well.Β 

On the range I figured out trying to hit push cuts had me hitting push draws or slight pushes. I took that knowledge to the course and played really well.Β :-D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

So I go inspired by Erik's thread asking about Pre-shot routine versus Post-shot routine. I also wanted to work on my visualization and focusing on hitting the shot shape I want. I think these two pair nicely.Β 

Here is the routine I did for each shot

1. Visualize the shot I want to hit
2. Take a few slow practice swings feeling out the shot
3. Hit the shot
4. View the flight
5. Go through 1-3, with the new information, working out the feel for the shot

This worked out really well. I did this for distance wedge shots and found it much easier to get the distance I wanted with much less effort than before. Hitting different ball flights was also much easier.Β 

I used this to help work on my short game as well.Β 

I'll be continuing down this road of using the information from the shot as feedback for my visualization and shot feel.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

A good range practice today. Kept working on what I want the ball to do, and trying to hit that shot. Also using post-shot information to help me on the next shot.Β 

That and worked on distance wedge shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

• 1 month later...

Went up to Golf Evolution today.Β 

I worked on wrist and forearm rotation to the top of the swing.Β 

It helped me control the swing paths and swing length better.Β 

0F740497-1C8B-45C8-B5DA-0F3941969DC3.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

18 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Went up to Golf Evolution today.Β 

I worked on wrist and forearm rotation to the top of the swing.Β 

It helped me control the swing paths and swing length better.Β 

Good stuff!Β  Definitely nice to get some winter work in.

Random question: is that a headcover in the first photo, or did you bring your dog to watch?Β Β ;-)

- John

• 2 weeks later...

To elaborate in more detail on this thread,

My 2017 goals here,

Goal 1:Β To improve the influence of my short game by 4 strokes. GameGolf has my short game as a 4.5 detriment to my game

Result: I did not achieve this goal. I struggle a lot early in the season and it really kept my strokes gained higher than I wanted. In my last 10 rounds though I cut the amount my short game hurt my game in half. I do believe I am on the up with this one.

Goal 2:Β To lower my strokes lost in approach shots from 1.7 to sub 1.0 on GameGolf.

Result: Similar to my short game. I wasn't consistent in this aspect of my game. I do feel like I am on the right track. I did have my lowest round ever last year. My end of the year play was much better. I like the direction here.

Goal 3:Β To improve the consistency in my putting.Β 

Result: This I did improve from 2016. I was much more consistent in my putting, especially on shorter putts and lag putting.

Goal 4:Β To participate in the US Mid Am, and the Ohio Open.Β 

Result: This I did not plan for in time and didn't feel confident enough to participate in.

Goal 5:Β To qualify for the Newport Cup next Fall.Β 

Result: I did not meet this goal in 2017. I look forward to trying to make the Newport Cup team the next time.

Overall: I found this year to be disappointing overall, but I do feel I finished the year strong. I look forward to what 2018. My goals will be much similar to last year. With emphasis on keeping things simple.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

On 09/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, saevel25 said:

0F740497-1C8B-45C8-B5DA-0F3941969DC3.jpeg

Really like the picture on the rightΒ :-). The one on the left looks all sorts of familiar to me. What are the thoughts/feels you've used to change the picture?

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

7 hours ago, b101 said:

Really like the picture on the rightΒ :-). The one on the left looks all sorts of familiar to me. What are the thoughts/feels you've used to change the picture?

More feeling how my wrist and forearms worked. More of holding a platter in my right hand.Β 

I would make sure you don't try to get there by rolling the clubhead inside too early in the backswing.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

• 1 month later...

It is 52 degrees out and the driving range is open.Β 

Worked on my piece. Tad more forearm rotation at A3 to A3. Control the swing length and right elbow with the club and right wrist. I did this but making 2-3 practice swings. If the 4th was good then I would hit the ball.Β 

Contact was pretty good on those hits. Flights were pretty neutral. It was windy so the ball did get pushed a bit.Β 

I also worked on pitching and distance wedges. Working on different shots to the same target.Β 

On pure pitching technique I try to work on not dragging the hands and using the bounce. I get the best results in feeling that I slowΒ or stopΒ my left hand at impact.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

32 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Worked on my piece. Tad more forearm rotation at A3 to A4

Fixed thatΒ :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing some slow mo swings indoors this evening.Β 

I think a good feel for my backswing piece might be feel like the right elbow is bending earlier, and feeling the right hand facing the sky more at A4. This also requires that I maintain good turn rates.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I was doing some slow mo swings indoors this evening.Β 

I think a good feel for my backswing piece might be feel like the right elbow is bending earlier, and feeling the right hand facing the sky more at A4. This also requires that I maintain good turn rates.Β 

Sounds good.

Work hard this week and I'll see you Sunday.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Went up to Erie today and picked up the Mevo.Β :dance:

While I was there I worked on my hip turn. I need to stop letting my left knee kick in, and allowing my lead hip to shift towards the target as shown in the image on the left.Β 

The image on the right is me feeling like my left hip goes forward more. My left knee feels more stable over my left foot.Β 

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 7.08.04 PM.png

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag