IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Worked on my driver a bit today followed by some pitching. 

I worked on the swing path a bit, trying to be a bit flatter at the top. I did a few slow practice swings to work on the feel. Compared them to what I was normally doing. 

I found this feel worked the best, 

1. Slightly more right wrist bend at A3-A4.
2. Right elbow more vertical, and more infant of my right chest at A3-A4

From that position, it felt like I really could turn through the ball a lot easier now. The feel is turning the right side through, but also hitting at the ball with my right palm.

I'll try to get some video on this next time. I was able to swing slowly, look back and see the position was better than what I was doing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tried my flatter swing feel. For the most part I struck the ball wel. 

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/Fnxp6IDBOP

Hole 1: Aimed to far left for my straight draw. Ended up having to punch for a nGIR. 

Hole 2: Aimed to far right and went through the fairway. This was the best driver swing in a long time. My 2nd shot hit a branch, still had 85 yards. I shanked the distance wedge. Then I chunked a pitch into the bunker. 

Hole 3: stripped a 3 wood. 

Hole 4: two groove thin PW. 

Hole 5: my first really bad drive. I pull hooked it way left. I was able to hit back over the trees, but not far enough right. 

Hole 6: another bad tee shot. I chunked the ball really bad. 

Hole 7: I struck the driver really well, but another horrible aim line. 

Hole 8: a slight straight draw that got a bad kick left. 

Hole 9: a slight push to a nGIR, pin high. 

For the most part I struck the ball solid. I needed better start lines. I like the feel I worked on yesterday. It felt like I could turn a ton and hit the ball straight. I need to probably focus more on the right side to clean up the weak strikes with my distance wedges. Also, I wasn’t giving my pitching enough speed. I need to keep my head steadier while putting. 

I didn’t score well, but I am happy. Aiming better could have gotten me in position on every hole but one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Front Nine

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/BFshu7EJPP

Do not know where the ball is going to go consistently. Putting horribly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Back Nine

struggled off the tea. A lot of recovery type shots. Slightly better short game and putting. 

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/FHFG1P3SPP

Something needs to be done to let me get around a course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A reflection on the round. I need to do my right side piece better. A few thin shots and what felt like my weight was way back with the driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

9 minutes ago, Effington said:

What do you mean by "let me get around a course"?

It’s pretty self explanatory. I need a shot that can get me in play more often. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some video from the range

Face on

DTL

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went through the last couple pages. To me there are two big things to work on.

- Really hammering that left wrist flexion into the downswing. Might not be a bad thing to consider feeling it "bow" towards the end of the backswing. Then do some drills starting at A5.5/6 with it looking like DJ (or the pic below) and hit punch shots making sure the start line isn't left. Will really help the downswing pivot feel you're going for.

matt 4.jpg

- I see you post "shortening up the backswing" a bit. Going to be tough to do that from here. 

matt 2.jpg

IMO you need some more left bend earlier, pivot is favoring the "turn" aspect too much, leading to the right elbow to get below the left at 3 and the shaft loading too shallow. Causing you to get "long" and across the line. Wouldn't make sense for you to go from this A3 to then lay it off (unless you lifted the arms).

Another view, check out how level the left shoulder is moving, and you can see your right elbow under your left.matt 1.jpg

I'd recommend more left oblique crunch feel, left shoulder going down and in early. Will help with the shaft pitch and the right shoulder movements you mentioned on the downswing.  Another way to feel it is what Scott Cowx is doing here.

Maybe a simple feel on the course would be "left shoulder under the chin, right shoulder under the chin" and rehearse the flexed left wrist a bunch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Really hammering that left wrist flexion into the downswing. Might not be a bad thing to consider feeling it "bow" towards the end of the backswing. Then do some drills starting at A5.5/6 with it looking like DJ (or the pic below) and hit punch shots making sure the start line isn't left. Will really help the downswing pivot feel you're going for.

Something I considered working on. I think I need to work on fixing the clubhead flipping inside at A2-A3 before this. I think your post mentions this. 

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

IMO you need some more left bend earlier, pivot is favoring the "turn" aspect too much, leading to the right elbow to get below the left at 3 and the shaft loading too shallow. Causing you to get "long" and across the line. Wouldn't make sense for you to go from this A3 to then lay it off (unless you lifted the arms).

This was my thought as well. When I look at the DTL video, the club at A2 just wants to flip inside not matter what I do. It just happen to mirror the turn. My hunch was because the shoulders turn too level. I tried to be a bit more steep here. When I try left shoulder down more, it's very hard to feel like I can turn right. 

I'll investigate this more. 

5 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

Are you happy with your impact position ? 

It's pretty good. That impact position there can look really good and the shots be inconsistent due to face to path issues. It just mean I don't tend to miss with a chunk or thin shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

First, thanks to Mike for taking a look. Really appreciate it. Different words can sometimes be very helpful.

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Maybe a simple feel on the course would be "left shoulder under the chin, right shoulder under the chin" and rehearse the flexed left wrist a bunch.

Yep, I like that. But also, Matt, do it short enough and really put in the time. Don't go to 100% quickly. It'll take some time.

5 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

Are you happy with your impact position?

He's not, Bob, quite obviously. Also, you can't just look at a picture - it's about how you got there and what follows immediately thereafter.

25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Something I considered working on. I think I need to work on fixing the clubhead flipping inside at A2-A3 before this. I think your post mentions this.

You'll remember that from this:

02 Hinge.jpg

2016-01-09, 2017-02-05, 2017-12-09 have elements of the "don't roll the clubhead so much, lay the clubhead off late" stuff, too.

My failing in this is likely not emphasizing this enough, and letting you kinda get away from it. I see in some of those times in between that we worked on some downswing feels, but Mike's right in that you should worry about where the sweet spot (and hands) are going to help shorten the downswing, and then feel the wrist conditions on the downswing (that'll pair well with the "right shirt seam forward" stuff).

And yes, as we talked about recently, your grip might want to be a bit weaker. Too strong and it'll have to cup.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

But also, Matt, do it short enough and really put in the time. Don't go to 100% quickly. It'll take some time.

Got it 👍 This is definitely something I can do inside to. The right side stuff is not really indoor stuff. Or, maybe I could have done it slow enough for indoors. 

9 hours ago, iacas said:

2016-01-09, 2017-02-05, 2017-12-09 have elements of the "don't roll the clubhead so much, lay the clubhead off late" stuff, too.

I’ll take a look at that video. I remember that lesson. 

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Mike's right in that you should worry about where the sweet spot (and hands) are going to help shorten the downswing, and then feel the wrist conditions on the downswing (that'll pair well with the "right shirt seam forward" stuff).

That makes sense. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

21 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

Curious what the point of the questions is?

15 hours ago, iacas said:

First, thanks to Mike for taking a look. Really appreciate it. Different words can sometimes be very helpful.

Yes, I like to sometimes do the same thing for my own game, different ways of saying something similar can be huge. And always good to get the validation.

Yep, I like that. But also, Matt, do it short enough and really put in the time. Don't go to 100% quickly. It'll take some time.

Right, good point.

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think I need to work on fixing the clubhead flipping inside at A2-A3 before this. I think your post mentions this. 

Yes I'm seeing the sweetspot travel as reaction to the pivot.

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

My hunch was because the shoulders turn too level. I tried to be a bit more steep here. When I try left shoulder down more, it's very hard to feel like I can turn right. 

I'll investigate this more. 

Might just take more mirror work and even filming yourself making rehearsal swings. Try the feels I suggested but as you work on it yourself add in your own input. This is part of "owning" your feels.

BTW it would make sense that the "more left shoulder down" would feel more "restricted".

Yeah I was pretty sure you guys had worked on this before but happy to come at it with a fresh look and confirm things.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I was asking if the OP was happy with the impact position because there are a few issues I would want to address.

I guess we view the swing differently on my side of the pond.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

I was asking if the OP was happy with the impact position because there are a few issues I would want to address.

Like what? What in this image is bad or needs improving?

On 9/1/2018 at 2:29 AM, Bob Mac said:

Untitledr7ik.jpg

Particularly as it applies to what he’s saying his issues were.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know all the issues but it seems that poor contact is certainly one of the problems.

I also didn't realise the thread was 89 pages long. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so I'll keep quiet rather than adding new swing thoughts.

Apologies 

• Administrator
Just now, Bob Mac said:

Well I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know all the issues but it seems that poor contact is certainly one of the problems.

I also didn't realise the thread was 89 pages long. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so I'll keep quiet rather than adding new swing thoughts.

Apologies 

No, please go ahead and answer the question. What about that image indicates poor contact and how would you improve that?

Matt is a grown boy. 🙂 He can decide for himself.