IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Ugh dood, that sucks royally. I went through a phase of 5-6 years where it happened routinely. Thankfully, I have not experienced for a few years now. Hope it gets better soon. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Physical fitness is as much about prevention as it is about enabling new levels of performance.

In other words, I think your off-season fitness plan will be good for you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

48 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Ugh dood, that sucks royally. I went through a phase of 5-6 years where it happened routinely. Thankfully, I have not experienced for a few years now. Hope it gets better soon. 

I think the years of horrible posture and lack of exercise has hit me. I’m glad I am like 60-80lbs lighter than I was in college. Yea, not lifting weights or doing any sort of physical activity for weeks on end or only 1-2x a week has caught up to me. 

from what I read, the severity of my symptoms means it’s highly reversible with PT. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Are you going to do the Fit for Golf stuff?

We're going to, a few of us here on staff.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think the years of horrible posture and lack of exercise has hit me. I’m glad I am like 60-80lbs lighter than I was in college. Yea, not lifting weights or doing any sort of physical activity for weeks on end or only 1-2x a week has caught up to me. 

from what I read, the severity of my symptoms means it’s highly reversible with PT. 

Not sure it is the same for you but for me it was about restoring my 'S' curve. Have been laying on a rolled towel underneath my lower part of the spine for a few minutes everyday to gently push the curvature back in the spine (skywards if laying on back). Started it a few years ago and has been a great help resetting posture abuse everyday (especially if you are desk hugger like me). 

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Physical fitness is as much about prevention as it is about enabling new levels of performance.

In other words, I think your off-season fitness plan will be good for you.

I know you are talking about about a separate plan but FWIW am now regularly carrying my bag with shoulder blades pulled back (it works like one of them posture strap thingy). Walked 27 holes last Friday carrying. Back has never felt stronger after a couple of months of carrying now. Huge change.   

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I’ll take a look at it. 

43 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Not sure it is the same for you but for me it was about restoring my 'S' curve. Have been laying on a rolled towel underneath my lower part of the spine for a few minutes everyday to gently push the curvature back in the spine (skywards if laying on back). Started it a few years ago and has been a great help resetting posture abuse everyday (especially if you are desk hugger like me). 

Probably. After my chiropractor I can feel my shoulder blades back more, with my lower back feeling more curved.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Little off topic but is/will there be a thread for this? I searched and didn't find one. I currently lift 5-6x a week but it is just standard hypertrophy movements, basically me trying to build more muscle but would be interested in a golf specific one.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

Little off topic but is/will there be a thread for this? I searched and didn't find one. I currently lift 5-6x a week but it is just standard hypertrophy movements, basically me trying to build more muscle but would be interested in a golf specific one.

I was watching a few youtube channels for helping the back. Like, they denounce good morning lifts, or deadlifts. It is nearly impossible to make it so you maintain the S curve in your lower back for each rep. The amount of stress you put on your lower back, just to exercise your hamstrings and quads do not seem good. You really have to have some crazy good hip mobility to get your hips back far enough to maintain that S curve. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, klineka said:

• 4 months later...

First practice video '22. Just trying to keep width, and feel the swing slow down when I finish the turn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went up to Golf Evolution today for a lesson. Got on the GEARS system and had a really productive lesson. Got some new stuff to work on, some different ideas and feels. It was really cool to get the direct feedback from the GEARS system. I made some pretty significant changes in the numbers of my swing. Not get too technical in what I was doing. 

1. Worked how my body worked in the backswing. How I shifted away from the target, and how my upper body was tilted at A4 (from the face on view). I was getting too much into my right hip (weight getting too far behind me, into my right heel). My body was tilted too far away from the target at A4.
  2. Worked on my hand route in transition by controlling the path with my right elbow. This helped made the path much more stable. less of a rerouting of the hands and the club. 
  3. Worked on how my body turned in the downswing, and getting my sternum more forward at impact, more so, making sure it doesn't stay back. 

On a side note, I got a 0.0 measurement on one of my strikes!! Didn't get 0.0, 0.0. I nailed the center of the club face, but like a grove thin (3-4mm). 🙂😉

I also found out that I turn my hips like 60 degrees open. We messed round with restricting the turn, but I got it to like 55 degrees. When compared to my hips at impact, I get a good amount of turn. It isn't like I am not turning my hips, I just have a lot of ground to make up because they are so turned in the backswing. I might do better with a more compact turning feel, but I got plenty to work on before that 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

On a side note, I got a 0.0 measurement on one of my strikes!! Didn't get 0.0, 0.0. I nailed the center of the club face, but like a grove thin (3-4mm). 🙂😉

Matt Dougherty - 2022-2-20 - Swing 38 - Snapshot 1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

1. Worked on my hand route in transition by controlling the path with my right elbow. This helped made the path much more stable. less of a rerouting of the hands and the club.

🙂😉

😉

My phone backspace refuses to erase the emojis so ignore.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate more on the right elbow stuff? 

On another note, how's the back? Must be better.

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

If you don't mind, can you elaborate more on the right elbow stuff? 

My hands get depth, and they will reroute over the top a bit. If you see a line showing the downswing, a 2-3 inches maybe towards the ball. My current swing is, hands reroute towards the ball, club wants to kick out towards the ball, but I delay stuff to shallow it (early extension, and tipping back). We are trying to piece together how to reverse that. 

" The Feel " for me is at A4, to send my hands like down to my right thigh, by gaining extension in my right elbow. 

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

On another note, how's the back? Must be better.

Doing really good. Thanks for asking.

On a side note..... Me (yellow) versus Rory (blue) in Kinematic Sequencing of the hips... 😊

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Here is a video of me suited up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Here is a video of me suited up. 

I saw that on Instagram and said to my wife, “Hey, that’s Matt!”

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

Went out and demo'd a few clubs around some of the golf stores in the area. 

I found out that KBS Tour 130g X-stiff is still the best golf shaft for me. I tried out some other ones, just looking to see if something off the shelf or in stock would fit. All of them would be considered stiff flex, but they just produced way to high of ball flight. Like 20-23 degrees of launch, and 40+ yard of peak height. I try out a Titleist MB with KBS Tour X. 17-degrees of launch, 6500 rpm spin, and probably around 33-34 yards of peak height. Yea, somehow that golf shaft just fits really well for me. Which means, my next iron set is going to be back ordered for a long time. KBS is really backlogged right now, sadly. I asked the guy at the store, and he said certain clubs with KBS could be back ordered till 2023. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag