IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes you might be right , went to play yesterday and average was around 280 :S, hit a few 260 and a few 320 and one 340 wth some wind for help and a also hit one like 240 jejeje. I think tour players can hit it further they just don´t try to swing to hard , the Long distance guys like Jason Zuback can hit 450 yds.

You should check out the Unicore 7000 - it's 11% more awesome than hickory, plus it's low in saturated fat!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yes you might be right , went to play yesterday and average was around 280 :S, hit a few 260 and a few 320 and one 340 wth some wind for help and a also hit one like 240 jejeje. I think tour players can hit it further they just don´t try to swing to hard , the Long distance guys like Jason Zuback can hit 450 yds.

have you seen the long driver's swing? and who uses wikipedia? Use the PGA's own stats!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

My average distance is about 315 , max 380 and min you don`t want to know, i began to play golf 7 months ago , 22 hc, im improving a little still make some bad mistakes but learning , i used to play baseball and softball so my hips are fast trained jejej i hit the 60" wedge 130 yds. Trust me distance is not that important , it`s better to hit the ball straight.

interesting, so you play on those courses with cart paths for fairways, always wanted to play on one of those

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Here's an example of why driving distance discussions are so "interesting":

This sounds right on the money for me as well...

Saturday, playing at sea level with a 15-20 mile an hour wind the same swing and contact hit the ball 245 into the wind and 290 and 315 downwind (and 315 is the longest that I have hit it and measured with a reliable device). I used a range finder from the fairway to pick up the tee sign or a tree next to the tee box and felt like I really got all of those 3 drives. I usually hit it about 260-265 which is about 20 yards longer than in 1992 when I hit it 240ish with my Hogan Driver (back then over 250 was gigantic). The biggest difference then is that a misshit might get you 200 but today it is more like 230. But as many have said, iron control is a bigger factor in playing good golf and I will hit a three iron off the tee to be in position on the fairway as opposed to hitting the driver just for the sake of hitting it as I like playing from the fairway more than the rough and I would rather set-up a second shot from 125-150 than 60 yards.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

There is a new shaft and grip combo from Pfizer which releases anti-psychotic medication through your skin as you hold it. I recommend that one, perhaps super strength.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• 5 months later...

I got "myCaddie Pro" for my iphone 4 about a month ago. Apparently one had to pay a fee before, but now it is free.

One feature it has is what they call "Active Shot". You click on it after you hit your drive and walk to where your ball is to determine the driving distance (or any other shot for that matter).

Anyway, I started using this feature, and it was an eye opener. I thought my drives were around 280 yds and occasional 300 yds when I got hold of a good drive. That was based on the yardage listed on the scorecard and figuring out how much distance I have for the approach shot.

When measured with GPS, it turns out my drives were about 260 on average and 280-290 when I get hold of one. I think it is because the fairways often not straight so the mathematical calculations (i.e., scorecard distance-approach distance) is often misleading.

Just go me thinking how many people here also have an "inflated" belief in their driving distance. I am not talking about "internet bragging yardage" but actual belief in their driving distance that is inaccurate due to mathematical calculations.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got "myCaddie Pro" for my iphone 4 about a month ago. Apparently one had to pay a fee before, but now it is free.

You seriously were overestimating by 20 yards? Wow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

When I first got my Sky Caddie I had similar awaking on just how far I was (was not?) hitting my drives. But having read several thread related to driving distance on this forum. I'd bet you are not going to change many minds on the accuracy ,or lack there of, of measuring drives using the score card distances and sprinkler head yardages.

Butch

I find that some yardage markers placed by the golf course can be off by as much as 10 yards. I have my clubs measured by gps, not by course markers. That said....there is a small =/- error in a gps, but as long as you use the same gps you have nearly the same measurement error each time. I stood next to a golf cart with the built in gps thingy and found that the yardage between mine and the cart can be off by as much as 5-8 yards, so I use mine to choose a club since I have my clubs measured with MY gps.

I've had playing partners swear their drive was 300....so I measure it with the gps and it turns out to be 280 or so. But if you use the course markers, yeh it was closer to 290....but not 300.

Same internet exaggerations are very common on alot of sports forums. Slowtwitch, a triathlon forum, is the same. If you can't run a 15 minute 3 miles, with a broken leg...you suck!! : )

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

. . . having read several thread related to driving distance on this forum . . .

No sh**. Can we get a merge here?

Haha, yeah, you can see that reality is a harsh mistress. We get people on here every other week claiming a 280-300 yard average. 260 is actually really, really good, unless you aren't counting severly bad drives (I.E. mean vs median).

Happens all the time. Not just on the internet either. I've actually showed a few guys how wrong they were about their length... one even refused to believe the evidence in front of him - said the GPS was wrong.

Nobodys wants to have his balloon popped.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hold an average of 254 yards, but I just got a new driver so I don't know what it is now, I'm guessing I gained an extra 3-5 yards. When I really get a hold of one (we call it "smushing it") I can get it out to 275 yards. I have only broken 300 yards around four times, all with a wind assist or hardpan fairways.

I calculated the average of this site as per the last ten pages of this thread (yea, Im a nerd, don't bitch) and got 249.84 yards. So it seems I'm about average, although people I play with often call me a "long knocker". Probably due to internet exaggerations.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

I'd say my average is 270-280.

250 isn't crazy and 300 isn't either so cutting the middle, 275 is pretty normal for me.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

• 7 months later...

I play in a Monday night league and used my GPS to measure all 7 of my drives.  The results were very eye-opening:

Hole 1 plays significantly downhill, and I felt like I really tagged the ball - 260 yds.

Hole 3 I thinned a 3W low into the right rough - 200 yds.

Hole 4 I hit a bit of a slice but was helped by getting a good bounce off of hardpan - 235 yds.

Hole 5 232 yds.

Hole 6 plays downhill, I hit a pull, the ball hit a bare patch on an embankment and rocketed forward and back into the fairway - 298 yds.

Hole 8 227 yds.

Hole 9 238 yds.

So, taking the 3W and the freak drive on #6 out, I hit it ~ 238 yds.  But that's not the eye-opening part.  This forum and my basic understanding of math (you can't hit it 300 yards on a 360 yard hole and still have 130 yards to the hole) taught me what my distances are.  What is an eye-opener is just how terribly "off" some people are in their driving perceptions.  I'll get paired up with a guy who is a "big-hitter," and he's basically within five yards of my drives.  In fact, I've only played with 2 guys in the past 2 years who could consistently kock it past me - one guy who was a single-digit and one guy who swung out of his shoes.

i hit the ball about 250 every time.  if i cut it a bit, 240, if i really nail it or have wind behind me, 260.  i used to think i went quite a bit further and assumed my average drive was about 270-280.  you can imagine my chagrin when i got a sky caddie and started marking drives that averaged 250-260.

one time, i was on a 525 yard par 5, and i had a 25 mph tail wind and a wide open fairway that was hard and dry.  i ripped that drive just as hard as i could.  it carried forever, and then rolled... and rolled... and rolled... and finally came to a stop 160 yards from the green (365 yards).  i told my dad, "this must be what dustin johnson feels like - a driver and an 8 iron into a par 5."  i've never even come close to replicating that drive, though.  sigh.

i played hdc 10.4 with only irons.

coursemanagement is a factor i hardly see arround here,

if you are a high hdc and want to get lower fast.

make sure that bogey is a good score for you.

you should play the course that way give yourselve 3 shots on par 4's to

reach the green and than 2 putt for bogey, you will lower your hdc verry soon.

at my home course we have a par 4 off 450 yrds,

i used to hit 6 iron off the tee ( aprox 180 yrd ) hit a 7 iron after that off the turf 160 yrd

you find yourself close to the green and if you have a good wedge to the green, you can still make par

and you have much less risk of the tee and fairway.

if you play like this, you will be  a 15 hdc in no time

take care

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Sunday's lazered and/or paced distances:

hole - club - distance

357 - 3 wood - 258

414 - 3 wood - 246

356 - 3 iron - 218

408 - driver - 271

548 - 3 wood - 266

364 - 3 iron - 225

492 - driver - 319

414 - driver - 308

348 - 2 iron - 241

428 - driver - 290

388 - 2 iron - 252

497 - driver - 303

320 - 6 iron - 197

496 - driver - 325

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!