IGNORED

Can I borrow your 7 iron?!?!?!?

canes113
Note: This thread is 5085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So here's the deal. I play with my father-in-law every weekend and he does not carry a 7 iron in the bag so he asks about 5-6 per round to borrow it. I didn't mind at first, but now it's getting annoying especially on par 3's when I use the same club (he always has to hit first.... prefers 3 hour rounds). I'm starting to wonder if this is bad golf etiquette? I've sarcastically told him I'm going to start charging a convenience fee every time he uses it.... that didn't work. I'm in a tough spot because it's family, but for christ's sake buy a 7 iron or a new set!!! What would you guys do?

In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

Buy him a 7-iron for Fathers Day.

Ditto, get him a 7 iron for fathers day LOL

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

So here's the deal. I play with my father-in-law every weekend and he does not carry a 7 iron in the bag so he asks about 5-6 per round to borrow it. I didn't mind at first, but now it's getting annoying especially on par 3's when I use the same club (he always has to hit first.... prefers 3 hour rounds). I'm starting to wonder if this is bad golf etiquette? I've sarcastically told him I'm going to start charging a convenience fee every time he uses it.... that didn't work. I'm in a tough spot because it's family, but for christ's sake buy a 7 iron or a new set!!! What would you guys do?

tell him to hit a hard 8

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Unless he has an obscure set, you should be able to find a 7i on Ebay for cheap, I'd just get him a replacement.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Buy him a 7-iron for Fathers Day.

Hilarious... but that's not happening.

In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

light 6? lol either way, at this point, regardless of family or not...be straight with him "listen, get a 7 iron already...if you lost a putter, what, you gonna borrow that too?" or for one round just happen to forget your 7...and both play without it and go, "see? don't have anyone to mooch off of now do ya old man?" lol

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Not a big deal, just find him a 7 iron and give it to him, he'll be happy, you'll be happy life is good.
I used to know a guy who sometimes played golf with me and who'd borrow clubs every other hole. Most of the time he does not even bring his bag and just shares a bag with another friend the whole round, it's crazily annoying!!!
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I would get him a replacement 7 iron that matches his set (or is close). Check ebay or

http://www.golfclubfinder.com/

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

stop playing with him LOL....I mean what there is 5 things that can/will happen......

1) you stop playing with him
2) he buys a 7i
3) you buy him a 7i
4) he borrows someone elses
5) or it stays the same, him borrowing your's

why not get him one? would it hurt your pride or something? hell, if you won't buy it, tell your wife to get it for him. but for his sake and yours, get another 7 iron in that man's hands.

Why wait until Father's day? It's the quick, elegant solution. It's clearly worth it - just get him a 7-iron and be done with it.

If you really want to solve the problem, there you go.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Whatever the cost (50-110? new/used) it is clearly worth it to NOT be annoyed with this. For me, this game is to relax and not think about any issues in my life for a few hours, having a FIL who destroys this is clearly not worth the lost cost. I'd just purchase myself a new iron and put it in his bag so that he can find out on his own.

That would get really annoying. I'd just tell him to hit a hard 8 or easy 6.

I played in a scramble with a guy who forgot his putter and had to use mine the whole round. I couldn't wait for the round to end and get home.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Interesting reply which indicates to me that there is more to this story. Since you asked what would others do and have now stated you won't do what several others suggested I think it would be nice to hear the rest of the story.

If it were me I'd find myself a new 7-iron, tie a bow on the current one, and next time he asked to borrow it I'd simply say to keep it. Likewise, if I could afford it, I'd take him out to lunch after the round, stop at a discount golf shop after lunch and tell him to pick out a set on me. But that's just me, and I still suspect that there is more to the story. Perhaps this thread is in parallel to the other thread where someone is asking how to upset an opponent's game, and perhaps your father-in-law has a perfectly good 7-iron at home in his closet next to where he has his red ties hanging and is doing this just to throw your game off just a little bit. I don't know but stranger things have happened. (Note to the dad-in-law: if you're reading this, sorry if I revealed your gamesmanship) ;)

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 5085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!