IGNORED

What the USGA and club manufacturers dont want you to know

JWL1957
Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think my original post might have been worded a bit strong about the club manufacturers. I have a regular group of guys that I play with that are constantly upgrading to the latest equipment, and I've got to laugh when they are constantly shooting the same scores week after week and year after year. When ever I mention going to the range and working on their swings.......... they look at me like I have 6 heads on my shoulders.

What worries me more is that the golf teaching world still holds onto incorrect information about the golf swing and keeps teaching it. Making golf easier should be a primary concern for instructors, to make the entry level lower for beginners.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When ever I mention going to the range and working on their swings.......... they look at me like I have 6 heads on my shoulders.

The major majority of golfers don't work on their game at the range. I am included in this group. We just want to play. We aren't interested in working at droppng our hc's. And if new clubs brings us a little more enjoyment, so be it.

The major majority of golfers don't work on their game at the range. I am included in this group. We just want to play. We aren't interested in working at droppng our hc's. And if new clubs brings us a little more enjoyment, so be it.

Good post! IMHO, the reason indexes haven't dropped more is because of our society/culture. The world is becoming more and more fast paced and golf does not mesh well with "fast paced." People are now cramming more stuff into their day than ever before and this leaves less time to work on their game. I mean on this very board there are almost daily posts (with increasing frequency) of people complaining about slow play. I think this is largely due to people being more rushed. Personally, I believe we would see average scores going up were it not for advancement in golf technology.

I do see and agree with your overall point though. You cannot buy a good game.

• Administrator

There's evidence out there that handicaps HAVE DROPPED. I've linked to this before and I'll link to it again:

We are getting better. And equipment technology is the reason.

Source:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equip...evolution_0902

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Handicaps haven't dropped much because many amateur golfers do not get club-fitted. I think it's something like 65% of golfers don't get fit for their clubs.

In the Cleveland bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 9.5°, Aldila NV 65g S
Cleveland Launcher Steel Fairway 15°, Fujikura Gold 65g R
Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 20.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Gold 65g S
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW, Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 S ...

I suspect the average index is dropping because good players are getting better. Bad players might be getting relatively worse, but they tend to come and go. Courses are longer and tighter, with more hazards and the ones that are shorter typically have tricked up greens or put the pins in ridiculous spots - pin positions that 20 years ago would have caused the membership commitee to call for someone's head. I have no stats in front of me - this is just based on experience and the courses I play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There's evidence out there that handicaps HAVE DROPPED. I've linked to this before and I'll link to it again:

and when you take into consideration that more and more golfers are playing every year and the handicaps are still dropping, i'd like to think there is a correlation between new gear and the advancement of one's game. it's logical to think that new golfers are buying new gear...which is helping them to then lower their handicap, as well as the overall. taking into consideration there's a chance that new technology is also helping golfers who've been playing for some time to hit longer, more accurately or just flat out shoot better overall. i think we'd almost have to assume it's not just a gimmick or something like that but GENERALLY as technology has been improving the overall handicaps of the average golfer have decreased.

Source of golf populus numbers: http://www.grounds-mag.com/news/number-golfers-growing/ (allbeit they are older statistics, still making a point)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Training and practice are good for your game, but the right equipment can make a difference too. Despite appearances, not all clubs are equal, and different clubs can be better suited to different swings and playing styles.

It's true that some players keep buying new stuff solely because they can't stand to be on the course without the latest and greatest, regardless of any actual improvement. But for others, finding the right driver or putter can really make a difference.

I changed drivers (yes, I bought a new one, but only after playing a demo so that I knew what I was doing) last week and I'm hitting the ball farther and with more accuracy than I have in years. It's possible that it's just a honeymoon effect, but I don't think so. Time will tell, but this driver just feels better when I swing it, and that has always been important to me.

So while I agree with part of the OP's statement that many players buy into the hype from the manufacturers, it is still possible to actually improve your scoring by adding a club or clubs or ball that is more suited to your game. It may not be a dramatic swing, but gains are possible through careful shopping and testing. It all depends on where you are right now with your game and your gear.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If the newer club technology is so good...........why hasnt the national average handicap dropped for decades? Think I'm kidding?.... go look for yourselves. The national average handicap for men hasn't changed since the 1960's.

I´m pretty certain you wouldnt be too happy playing 1960s clubs - not irons or putters maybe (you probably could put with a broomstick if you practice it), but drivers/fairway metals/wedges/balls - those are the things that technological advanced quite a bit. But lets be honest - what could the engineers come up with within the next couple years, that actually would justify buying new gear. I cant really think of anything, esp. since we are pushing the regulatory limits for quite a while already, and any "advancements" are really minor and will profit the very best players a lot more than any amateur player. In fact - we are going backwards with the technology if you think about the new groove regulations - but of course club makers wont market that too loud, that might look a bit silly.....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I´m pretty certain you wouldnt be too happy playing 1960s clubs - not irons or putters maybe (you probably could put with a broomstick if you practice it), but drivers/fairway metals/wedges/balls - those are the things that technological advanced quite a bit. But lets be honest - what could the engineers come up with within the next couple years, that actually would justify buying new gear. I cant really think of anything, esp. since we are pushing the regulatory limits for quite a while already, and any "advancements" are really minor and will profit the very best players a lot more than any amateur player. In fact - we are going backwards with the technology if you think about the new groove regulations - but of course club makers wont market that too loud, that might look a bit silly.....

1960s era woods are

easier to hit. They're shorter, higher lofted, with more stable and stiffer shafts, less turf interaction, and have less COR. Of course, most players miss the center of the face nearly all the time, so, for them , the older woods would be harder to hit. Therein lies the main difference. There's two types of golfers, those who hit the center of the face, and those who don't. The vast majority don't. I always take a look at the bags outside the pro shop on the rack, and day and and day out, I see clubs with ballmarks all over the face. I occasionally see a bag with wear spots on the center of the faces (my clubs have these marks too). I instantly can tell this person is below a 10 handicap. The clubs forgive a lot more than people realize. I was down at the green the other day, and there was a guy with an insert putter, and his insert was worn down from where he had hit the ball. Amazingly, it was well out onto the toe of the putter! He hit the toe every time , and never even realized it. It was one of those mallet type putters, so he was getting enough forgiveness to play, but his speed control couldn't have been that good.

Therein lies the main difference. There's two types of golfers, those who hit the center of the face, and those who don't. The vast majority don't. I always take a look at the bags outside the pro shop on the rack, and day and and day out, I see clubs with ballmarks all over the face. I occasionally see a bag with wear spots on the center of the faces (

We should call you FIGJAM

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

1960s era woods are

Yeah sorry, i dont buy into that - i´m NOT a equipment••••• anymore, but if these way older clubs would be better than current equipment, everybody who would hit the sweetspot constantly would use those clubs, esp. since these are the guys who shouldnt be confused by all the marketing talk and know what to pick to improve their game.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Yeah sorry, i dont buy into that - i´m NOT a equipment••••• anymore, but if these way older clubs would be better than current equipment, everybody who would hit the sweetspot constantly would use those clubs, esp. since these are the guys who shouldnt be confused by all the marketing talk and know what to pick to improve their game.

The problem is, they can't keep up with the modern course. The modern wood affords a higher, longer flight, with a more controlled spin.

We should call you FIGJAM

Maybe, but they do. I constantly evaluate the faces of my clubs. I look for shot dispersion patterns, dirt marks (to gauge if the lie angle is still acceptable), and other such things. I never said my ballmarks were small, in fact, they're maybe the size of a ball itself, not dimes like better players will have. Considering I hit 40,000 range balls a year, I get the marks fairly quickly.

The real difference, however, is that I don't hold out any false illusions that I hit the ball 280 yards on average with my driver, or that I could make the tour, or even pass the PAT.

1960s era woods are

I have a basement full of clubs from the 1950 to today (ditched the ones from the 30s and 40s). Some older drivers are easy to hit and some aren't - same as today - but the drivers of today get the ball out farther. The longest persimmon drivers I have (a couple MacGregors, a Ram, a Powerbilt. a Lynx, and a Cleveland) are a shade shorter than my current 3-wood. And yes, you can work the ball better with persimmon, but straight is good too.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have a basement full of clubs from the 1950 to today (ditched the ones from the 30s and 40s). Some older drivers are easy to hit and some aren't - same as today - but the drivers of today get the ball out farther. The longest persimmon drivers I have (a couple MacGregors, a Ram, a Powerbilt. a Lynx, and a Cleveland) are a shade shorter than my current 3-wood. And yes, you can work the ball better with persimmon, but straight is good too.

Yes, it was hit and miss back then. Good ones were great, easy to hit, etc. Some of them were duds, bad COG, hard to launch, etc. I had Northwestern, Wilson, Callaway, Ping, and Pinnacle woods.

I would say that there is a decent chance that at least some of the handicap drop is due to the lack of growth of the game. There are fewer and fewer kids playing, so that lack of poor players bring down handicaps, at least a little.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!